Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fix a laptop in vegas

Load Metric

fix a laptop in vegas

Hi i'm in vegas with a friend and his laptop's hard drive is broken, does someone know a good address where he can go to get his laptop fixed? not far from the strip and someone who can do it fast for a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchJew View Post
    Hi i'm in vegas with a friend and his laptop's hard drive is broken, does someone know a good address where he can go to get his laptop fixed? not far from the strip and someone who can do it fast for a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Give me a call i can walk you through it. do it yourself obviously. check pm's.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    If you don't want to call, answer these real quick- Why is the hard drive in need of replacement? How are you sure that the hard drive is failing?

Assuming it does need replacement, what is the make and model laptop in question, what operating system is/was it running, how much data is on the hard drive in there now and do you have backups of it?

Here is a pretty straight forward way to do what you asked. Click here for local people selling hard drives, search around to find the one you want.

After locating hard drive that will work for you, you may or may not need to recover data. You need a simple program it's called Parted Magic, go here and once the iso is downloaded burn it to cdr, dvdr, or if you have only a usb use unetbootin (google it) and get a working distro running.

From there you will make a copy of the hard drive as it exists now with a program called ddrescue, here you will find info about using ddrescue or just google.

Once you have the hard drive cloned (the old one) the actual replacement of the hard drive is super easy. google the make and model with search term for the hard drive replacement, for example "hard drive removal toshiba satellite" as a google search produced tons of hits.

Once you get the hard drive in there, you need media to install your operating system. i have links for windows and linux, mac os you're going to need actual OEM media. I don't recommend bootlegging apple media if you can help it.

Good luck to you and your friend.
    Last edited by 408Mike; 12-15-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    thanks for your help but we need someone to do it and who can check if it's only a hard drive problem, we don't want to do it ourselves, we just want a good shop address and not someone who is gonna try to rip us off because we are foreigners.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    If you don't want to call, answer these real quick- Why is the hard drive in need of replacement? How are you sure that the hard drive is failing?

Assuming it does need replacement, what is the make and model laptop in question, what operating system is/was it running, how much data is on the hard drive in there now and do you have backups of it?
    here is the answer from my friend :

"I did hit my laptop, it s still working, everything is really slow tho , but i have an error message during the boot, Error predicting hard drive, plus windows tells me he detected a problem as my harddrive is failling. I did the same with my last laptop unfortunately it stopped working right away . I have a Sony vaio on windows seven, with a 500gb harddrive , and smth like 80giga occupied. I d love to make a backup and change the harddrive. thanks"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchJew View Post

here is the answer from my friend :

"I did hit my laptop, it s still working, everything is really slow tho , but i have an error message during the boot, Error predicting hard drive, plus windows tells me he detected a problem as my harddrive is failling. I did the same with my last laptop unfortunately it stopped working right away . I have a Sony vaio on windows seven, with a 500gb harddrive , and smth like 80giga occupied. I d love to make a backup and change the harddrive. thanks"
    I have seen this error a couple times, mostly with Dell machines. The tech I spoke with told me that error can be caused by either a power short/surge, dropped the laptop or installation of 3rd party software (meaning literally anything might have caused it to fail)

I found a few sony vaios with that size hard drive, but thankfully I believe they all use the same one, which you can buy on ebay for a reasonable amount. Click here for an example. What is the model/size/year of the laptop? That info would help.

I thought the laptop wasn't working at all, so you don't really need to use parted magic for anything, and the job itself is much simpler.

So, you have 80gigs you need a copy of, you have some options here, depending on how fast you need this done and how much you can spend. I personally would recommend the following-firstly STOP using the laptop if you can avoid it, and go buy something with a lot of storage space for cheap. What you want is either an external hard drive with 100gigs free or perhaps a USB or two with large capacity like 32 gigs, from there drag and drop your files onto the external media.

Next you need your win7 product key for re-installation of the OS, if your friend doesn't have it you need to use this program (here are faqs to walk you through if you can't figure it out, but it's super easy to use) to retrieve the working product key. once you have the product key, and a new hard drive to use, reinstallation of windows 7 is a breeze. Go here and locate which iso you need (ex is the laptop 32bit vs 64bit, what language and do you need home premium or whatever version) and burn the iso to a blank dvd with imgburn or something similar, after the burn is finished pop said dvd into your laptop with new hard drive and let the installer walk you through the process.

You can do this all in less than a day and for whatever the cost of a replacement hard drive, under $80 I would imagine.

Any other questions shoot. Oh by the way, you should perform a memory test, I think this page has some info that will help. this way you can isolate the problem as being just the hard drive etc.

You might want to ascertain the precise cause of the failure, I would burn parted magic to dvd and run the program and click on "disk health" and perform some diagnostics, check the logs and see what's up. If it's failing from a small hit, I mean that sounds like a manu defect but whatever. You should check to see if the machine or parts are covered by warranty and make someone else foot the bill IMO.
    Last edited by 408Mike; 12-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Load Metric
    Here $60 locally at best buy link and the address is

2050 N Rainbow Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89108
    Phone: 702-631-4645
    GEO: 36.196686, -115.24034

Go buy the new hard drive and get your old data off the old one, swap old hard drive for new one, install win7, place old data onto new hard drive and you're finished.

If you cannot do this yourself with the help I have given, you will only have laziness to blame.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    This might be a better place to post this:

Las Vegas Lifestyle
    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...gas-lifestyle/

and/or

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/

Load Metric
    Here $60 locally at best buy[URL="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hard-Drives/Internal-Hard-Drives/pcmcat270900050001.c?id=pcmcat270900050001"]

If you cannot do this yourself with the help I have given, you will only have laziness to blame.
    actually, yes it is pure laziness, we have others things to do in vegas like playing poker and craps , but thanks again for your help it was very useful
    Quote Originally Posted by bukowski72 View Post
    This might be a better place to post this:

Las Vegas Lifestyle
    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...gas-lifestyle/

and/or

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/
    thanks !

Load Metric

2050 N Rainbow Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89108

Go buy the new hard drive and get your old data off the old one, swap old hard drive for new one, install win7, place old data onto new hard drive and you're finished.

He's on vacation in Vegas you dumb fuck, why would he want to waste his time fixing a laptop. He also doesn't seem to know a lot about computers, so it would be better to just pay someone to do it. Lol at you calling someone lazy. You refuse to get a job and still haven't produced that receipt for that $50.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

2050 N Rainbow Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89108

He's on vacation in Vegas you dumb fuck, why would he want to waste his time fixing a laptop. He also doesn't seem to know a lot about computers, so it would be better to just pay someone to do it. Lol at you calling someone lazy. You refuse to get a job and still haven't produced that receipt for that $50.....
    Which is the smarter play here, after you fly to vegas from France your only laptop, which contains your LIFE, breaks down and:

A) For $60 you can fix it yourSelf in under three hours and learn a thing or two you didn't know about computers at the same time.

B) You instead snub your nose at the advice offered to you FOR FREE hunt around for a repair shop (you assume they have the time to wait several days for the repair to be done) and pay out the nose (likely hundreds) for something you can easily do yourself in your hotel room?

If you think you choose B more power to you, I think it means you're rich but personally I'd fix that shit and this has nothing to do with me or a receipt for anything literally ever.

Load Metric

Which is the smarter play here, after you fly to vegas from France your only laptop, which contains your LIFE, breaks down and:

A) For $60 you can fix it yourSelf in under three hours and learn a thing or two you didn't know about computers at the same time.

B) You instead snub your nose at the advice offered to you FOR FREE hunt around for a repair shop (you assume they have the time to wait several days for the repair to be done) and pay out the nose (likely hundreds) for something you can easily do yourself in your hotel room?

If you think you choose B more power to you, I think it means you're rich but personally I'd fix that shit and this has nothing to do with me or a receipt for anything literally ever.
    Pay Vegas you bag of shit.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric

My laptop doesn't contain my life. Unlike you, if my laptop breaks, I don't break down and cry..... I just buy a new one.
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric

My laptop doesn't contain my life. Unlike you, if my laptop breaks, I don't break down and cry on mommy and daddys couch for weeks, in a pathetic attempt to generate sympathy and score a free laptop like cleatus scored a new scooter. Little did I realize how little my fellow forum members cared, and much they would ridicule me for my pathetic attempt..... I just buy a new one.
    FYP
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric

My laptop doesn't contain my life. Unlike you, if my laptop breaks, I don't break down and cry..... I just buy a new one.
    Muck the reason you just "buy a new one" is twofold-one, your $150 piece of dirt laptop could never be worth fixing (the man has a sony vaio you retard, you literally expose your stupidity on an hourly basis-look, if you KNEW WHAT LAPTOPS WERE WORTH, because you actually bought things that matter, you would have known this guy's machine is worth a grand or so right now. Do you just up and throw a thousand dollars in the trash whenever the mood strikes? Lie again, please, for the world to see. It's hilarious) and two, you are a sucker, the perfect sucker is a guy who is too cheap to buy anything nice and too lazy to fix anything himself so you end up buying crap that you don't need to compensate for what you do not have upstairs...or downstairs, for that matter.

Threefold-You never do anything important that might require SAVING (i went there) and thus no machine you've ever owned has anything that matters on it.

Did you notice the part where dude says he has 80g worth of data to rescue?

Did you see him asking where to buy a new laptop? I could have sworn he SPECIFICALLY said he wanted to fix the one he has.

I expect the guy has already gotten his machine up and running again, no thanks to you dumbazz.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Muck the reason you just "buy a new one" is twofold-one, your $150 piece of dirt laptop could never be worth fixing (the man has a sony vaio you retard, you literally expose your stupidity on an hourly basis-look, if you KNEW WHAT LAPTOPS WERE WORTH, because you actually bought things that matter, you would have known this guy's machine is worth a grand or so right now. Do you just up and throw a thousand dollars in the trash whenever the mood strikes? Lie again, please, for the world to see. It's hilarious) and two, you are a sucker, the perfect sucker is a guy who is too cheap to buy anything nice and too lazy to fix anything himself so you end up buying crap that you don't need to compensate for what you do not have upstairs...or downstairs, for that matter.

Threefold-You never do anything important that might require SAVING (i went there) and thus no machine you've ever owned has anything that matters on it.

Did you see him asking where to buy a new laptop? I could have sworn he SPECIFICALLY said he wanted to fix the one he has.
    god are you stupid.....you are beyond ignorant you are reptilian dumb.......

Load Metric
    look at the wannabe's trying to muscle in on azzclowns turf the minute I stop responding to him. you disgust me limitles, and that is hard to do.

Load Metric
    Mike. This is coming from someone who has been in the I.T. business for 10+ years. Stop trying to give people technical advice. You have no fucking clue.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    look at the wannabe's trying to muscle in on azzclowns turf the minute I stop responding to him. you disgust me limitles, and that is hard to do.
    Get the fuck off the planet you bald head retard

Load Metric

I expect the guy has already gotten his machine up and running again, no thanks to you dumbazz.
    Lol my god you are a pathetic piece of shit. YOU SLEEP ON YOUR ELDERLY NEIGHBORS FLOOR. YOU CAN'T GET A JOB, USE FOOD STAMPS, AND YOU YEARN FOR A PET SPIDER SO YOU FEEL LOVED. I DON'T CONDONE SUICIDE, BUT IN YOUR CASE, IT'S FOR THE BETTER.

Thread Information