Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Instacart is a failsite and I hate it. Tips?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So now that I'm thinking of it, I might be able to see how the tip thing matters for speed of delivery, which of course will change everything regarding what I tip (aside from the cases where I'm willing to wait 5 days for the delivery).

Earlier this morning, at the store where slots where open, I could chose from:

- "Today through April 18"
    - Apri 18
    - April 19
    - April 20

So I asked myself, "What the fuck is 'Today through April 18'? Why can't they give me a narrower time frame than 5 days?"

Maybe that's how the tip works. If you get one of those slots (which I assume open up again late at night), the delivery people probably pick deliveries from "most lucrative" to "least lucrative". So the higher you tip, the closer your delivery will be to "Today" than "April 18".

Is this how it works? Anyone know?

If it is, then 20% will probably have to be my norm, sadly.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

Why would you tip 20% in a restaurant and not tip 20% for some guy wandering around a grocery store with coronavirus all over the place? This is the deal, you will likely get the guy picking your groceries you do not want if you tip 5 or 10%. If someone is picking an orange for me, I am giving 20% because I know he has a better chance of being clean. 5% tip, you get what you get.
    I want to tip the standard of what people tip. I don't want to undertip, but I don't see the need to overtip.

I understand exactly the risk these people are taking. However, the people working in the supermarket are taking even more of a risk. Do you tip them? I doubt it. Many of them are making much less than these Instacart drivers.

This is American tipping culture rearing its ugly head again. People tip to make themselves feel good, rather than to actually do the right thing. If you were so concerned about doing the right thing, you would tip every grocery worker you come across when doing the shopping yourself.

I do believe that these delivery people deserve extra money now compared to normally. I would much prefer they were just paid what they're worth, and the prices were adjusted up a bit, and the whole tipping thing was out of the equation. Since that's not the case, I will tip whatever is standard. I've never used any service like this because I normally hate them, so I didn't know (and still don't know) what is standard. I assumed the default 5% was standard, but maybe not.

So I'll kick it to 10%, and I'll adjust it up if either:

1) It really does get me a delivery slot faster (I still have to research this)
    -or-
    2) I get the same driver in most cases (or I can control it) and I think they're doing a good job
    Can’t speak for Instacart.

Shipt wont care what you pledge to tip - they just running the app. Next available time slot is what it is.

If you pick a day 2-3 days out and you have built a relationship with a shopper sometimes, but not always, they will pick you out and see if you want stuff that day. You won’t get that tipping 10% though.

I agree with the American tipping culture rant in most instances but I think it’s out of bounds here. This is literaly a personalized service. If you wouldn’t tip for this what would you ever tip for?

One factor in tip % when we aren’t in the middle of a pandemic is the delivery part of the transaction. If you have them drop the order off by your front door and leave the lower end of the tip range is acceptable: if you live in a congested urban arrangement and live on the 8th floor and the expectation is you let them in and they lay everything Out on the counter for you (or even help put it away) and you try a 10% tip it’s not going to go over.

My guess is in the years to come delivery people and customers will get rated like Uber.
    Last edited by Daly; 04-13-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

I want to tip the standard of what people tip. I don't want to undertip, but I don't see the need to overtip.

I understand exactly the risk these people are taking. However, the people working in the supermarket are taking even more of a risk. Do you tip them? I doubt it. Many of them are making much less than these Instacart drivers.

This is American tipping culture rearing its ugly head again. People tip to make themselves feel good, rather than to actually do the right thing. If you were so concerned about doing the right thing, you would tip every grocery worker you come across when doing the shopping yourself.

I do believe that these delivery people deserve extra money now compared to normally. I would much prefer they were just paid what they're worth, and the prices were adjusted up a bit, and the whole tipping thing was out of the equation. Since that's not the case, I will tip whatever is standard. I've never used any service like this because I normally hate them, so I didn't know (and still don't know) what is standard. I assumed the default 5% was standard, but maybe not.

So I'll kick it to 10%, and I'll adjust it up if either:

1) It really does get me a delivery slot faster (I still have to research this)
    -or-
    2) I get the same driver in most cases (or I can control it) and I think they're doing a good job

Shipt wont care what you pledge to tip - they just running the app. Next available time slot is what it is.

If you pick a day 2-3 days out and you have built a relationship with a shopper sometimes, but not always, they will pick you out and see if you want stuff that day. You won’t get that tipping 10% though.

I agree with the American tipping culture rant in most instances but I think it’s out of bounds here. This is literaly a personalized service. If you wouldn’t tip for this what would you ever tip for?

One factor in tip % when we aren’t in the middle of a pandemic is the delivery part of the transaction. If you have them drop the order off by your front door and leave the lower end of the tip range is acceptable: if you live in a congested urban arrangement and live on the 8th floor and the expectation is you let them in and they lay everything Out on the counter for you (or even help put it away) and you try a 10% tip it’s not going to go over.

My guess is in the years to come delivery people and customers will get rated like Uber.
    Does Shipt also work for California? Any idea?

Nobody around here lives in a congested urban area, so the last paragraph doesn't apply, though it makes sense. Everyone here is just getting their shit dropped at the door.

Load Metric
    I am just old school, I tip 20% for every waiter/waitress, delivery service, haircut, etc.. 1) because it's easy to do the math and 2) I don't ever have to overthink things every tip. Bad service gets a break every now and again, fabulous service might not get what they would normally get, but 20% across the board is easy for everyone including my brain and those receiving the tip.

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Does Shipt also work for California? Any idea?

Nobody around here lives in a congested urban area, so the last paragraph doesn't apply, though it makes sense. Everyone here is just getting their shit dropped at the door.

Put in a LA zip code

Name:  CC3093B5-215A-4A7B-8823-DE7DD0E033EA.png
Views: 492
Size:  956.4 KB

Didn’t know it until now but shipt is owned by Target.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Might do CVS because I hate hate hate the whole process of picking up meds where I gotta sign using that awful keypad. Like, that's just asking for the corona. They need to eliminate that shit.

Target does curbside pickup so I can just do that without using one of these dumb services. Anyway, thanks. Too bad they don't do Albertson's and Costco, which are the two I need most.

Load Metric
    Might do CVS because I hate hate hate the whole process of picking up meds where I gotta sign using that awful keypad. Like, that's just asking for the corona. They need to eliminate that shit.

Target does curbside pickup so I can just do that without using one of these dumb services. Anyway, thanks. Too bad they don't do Albertson's and Costco, which are the two I need most.
    What’s the problem with signing the keypad? Do like I do when I shop at Walmart and carry a paper towel soaked with soapy water to wipe the surface of the keypad before touching it. In fact, if I know that I can’t get a paper towel from a bathroom inside to soap up and carry with me, I use a spray bottle with soapy water I keep in the truck and soak a paper towel with it to carry with me into the store.

Just get into the habit of wiping your hand that touches those commonly-touched surfaces with the soapy water-drenched paper towel before touching anything else, then dispose of it in a trash can before returning to your car. It may make you look like Bob in “What About Bob” before he discovered Baby Step Therapy, but fuck what others might think.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 04-13-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

What’s the problem with signing the keypad?
    Because I don't like having to touch something that every other person needing meds in CVS is touching (including ones who are sick with non-corona things)?

That thing is being touched by different people every few minutes. Yeah they offer you a Clorox wipe to use on it beforehand, but their effectiveness against the corona isn't proven.

This step should be eliminated for now, or allow you to sign online via your phone in some way. Idiotic.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I get my meds mailed to me.

Load Metric

Because I don't like having to touch something that every other person needing meds in CVS is touching (including ones who are sick with non-corona things)?

That thing is being touched by different people every few minutes. Yeah they offer you a Clorox wipe to use on it beforehand, but their effectiveness against the corona isn't proven.

This step should be eliminated for now, or allow you to sign online via your phone in some way. Idiotic.
    Eliminated forever.

Whenever I have to do that I literally just give them a singe horizontal line.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO:

Load Metric
    As someone who's ventured out, keypad touching and signing has become nonexistant anywhere I've shopped.
    The employees will do it for you.

That's here tho. Not sure it's like that everywhere.

Load Metric
    Tried to use instacart at about 6am today.

Grappled with their horrible interface for awhile.

Finally after about an hour of fucking with it and choosing stuff from 2 stores, suddenly all delivery timeslots were gone (which were there at 6am when I started) for one of the stores.

The fucking tilting thing is I can't just say, "Okay, deliver one store, get the other one some other time". It's either both or nothing. And since one has no slots open, my order is stuck. So my only option is to delete everything from that second store, and re-enter it at some point.

Am I doing something wrong? The fact that you can't separate out the stores seems mind-bogglingly stupid.

Furthermore, I heard that doing this at like 3am gives you the best shot at getting a same-day delivery spot. True or not true?

As Jewish as I am, I'd totally pay extra right now just to get the shit done and delivered today. That's the other problem. The one store which IS delivering is quoting "Today through April 18", which is a pretty wide range. So if I just do nothing and come back at 3am, will I get tomorrow?

Someone help out here, I'm going nuts.

Also, don't troll this thread or post garbage in it. I'm trying to really figure this out. I can't stress how much I hate services like these.
    I know folks who do shopping and delivery for instacart its not pretty.. Of all the gig jobs out there Instacart is clearly the worst and borders on slave labor at times.. The pay is wretched (and seems to have gotten worse now with the COVID-19 situation instead of paying better due to demand its become a joke). In some cases people being paid $20 for over 2hrs worth of work to shop load groceries and deliver them (which is belong minimum wage in several states not to mention the gas and wear and tear on cars.. People think Uber and Lyft are robbing drivers theyve seen nothing yet with what IC does). If folks are lucky enough to snag one of the instore only shopping jobs where the person just shops in the store for the customer (has to commit to close ot 30hrs a week at $12/hr) its not as bad I suppose but those jobs seem few nad far between primarily seems to be stores like Sprouts and a couple others..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post
    As someone who's ventured out, keypad touching and signing has become nonexistant anywhere I've shopped.

I picked up a prescription last week. Pharmacist used a long stick and an Easter basket (lol) to give me the prescription.

Yet I had to sign using that pad. When I balked, she looked at me like I was insane.

I'm going to look into delivery.

Mumbles, you're also insane if you think touching that pad everyone else touches isn't an issue.

Load Metric
    Also what is the proper tip % to leave? It is suggesting 5%. Is that too high or too low? Order is about $150 from each place.
    Whats worse is while the drivers/whatever will get that tip often theyve been guilty of supplementing their own payment with the tips paid to drivers thus minimizing what they have to pay folks who are their contractors.. Yes folks Im still a free market kind of guy but theres a fine line and IC and some others are shitting on it.. Companies shouldnt be offsetting the payments they make against tips drivers get.. That would be like resturants being allowed to totally shit and not pay tip credit @2.13 or whatever the min tipped wage is which is basically what some o fthese companies are doing.. Doordash,and Grubhub have been accused of it also.. My advice DO NOT Put the tip online I know its a PITA but cash tips force the company to pay the fair market rate to get deliveries done.. (If a delivery is left hanging like a good capitalist system IC or whomever has to start offering more money for the delivery to get somebody to take it.. Seems fair.. but like I said theyve notoriously subsidized the driver payments with tips in the past and still do at times.)

Ill be honest Druff as far as the Tip amount take into consideration how much your ordering not the prices to drivers thats what matters.. Somebody could order $50 in bottled water via cases and it be a heavy ass nasty order and even a 20% tip aint enough for that.. I mean lets be honest a full grocery order thats a full cart could be anything from $100-$400 depending on what your ordering.. Same time an IC driver could get an order for some $500 bottle of scotch should they get a $50 tip for simply picking up a single bottle and bringing it to your house.... Number of items matters in these things more so then pct of the total

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

I picked up a prescription last week. Pharmacist used a long stick and an Easter basket (lol) to give me the prescription.

Yet I had to sign using that pad. When I balked, she looked at me like I was insane.

Mumbles, you're also insane if you think touching that pad everyone else touches isn't an issue.
    Whatever you do, don't spend $4 on a pack of 50 latex gloves

Load Metric
    So now that I'm thinking of it, I might be able to see how the tip thing matters for speed of delivery, which of course will change everything regarding what I tip (aside from the cases where I'm willing to wait 5 days for the delivery).

Earlier this morning, at the store where slots where open, I could chose from:

- "Today through April 18"
    - Apri 18
    - April 19
    - April 20

So I asked myself, "What the fuck is 'Today through April 18'? Why can't they give me a narrower time frame than 5 days?"

Maybe that's how the tip works. If you get one of those slots (which I assume open up again late at night), the delivery people probably pick deliveries from "most lucrative" to "least lucrative". So the higher you tip, the closer your delivery will be to "Today" than "April 18".

Is this how it works? Anyone know?

If it is, then 20% will probably have to be my norm, sadly.
    I can tell you part of the problem is too many orders not enough drivers right now with Instacart.. And yes people can pick and choose what orders to take that are submitted or they can take randoms that come in if they choose to do so..

Load Metric

Dont yall have drivethru pharmacy windows at CVS?? we have them here in AZ.. Just go up and they give you a pen to sign a reciept just like anythingelse you would pay for.. (wear a glove obviously or use your own pen works fine for infection control concerns)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post

Whatever you do, don't spend $4 on a pack of 50 latex gloves
    Yeah good luck finding gloves now of any quality.

So you're agreeing that this is stupid for everyone but those who bring gloves to use for the machine?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Dont yall have drivethru pharmacy windows at CVS?? we have them here in AZ.. Just go up and they give you a pen to sign a reciept just like anythingelse you would pay for.. (wear a glove obviously or use your own pen works fine for infection control concerns)
    No drive thru CVS here. But even if so, you still have to exchange the thing they hand you to write on, plus they handle your credit card (unless you pay cash).

Why not just eliminate this signing nonsense?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tried at 1:45am, no slots open.

2:45am, it's open again.

Took April 14-19 option, tipped 15%, we will see what happens.

Comments

OSA: Good man

Thread Information