Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesus Christ - Is it just me or are more companies just trying to fuck you these days?

Load Metric

Jesus Christ - Is it just me or are more companies just trying to fuck you these days?

4 Events in the last 24 hours.

1. Geico - I was paying 240 a month for my car through Geico. I was with them before with my old car which was 140 a month. I figured the higher premium was simply cause my new car was worth more. Didnt give much thought and was lazy until was time to renew. Found a rate for 130 a month and called them back. They magically put me through their "new program" and were able to cut my payments in half. The whole fucking song and dance was funny. She put on hold like 5 times to talk to her boss and because I was a VIP i got this lower rate. So my 6 month premium went from 1450 to 700. I am guessing they just do he math and if you have been with them for 5 years you probably wont question the new quote that you get when you get a new car. They know people dont like change especially with insurance and they prey on that.

2. Diamond - Went into a local store with a print out of the type of diamond I wanted. I found the one i wanted online, with ratings on cut, clarity and all that good stuff. I was willing to pay a premium of 1-2k if they could just find the same one and I could get it from their store and not deal with Fedex. Obv the store person couldn't so instead proceeded to waste my time and lie for 40 mins trying to tell me why i shouldn't buy online. Hey bitch, I am telling you that if you can find this fucking rock I will give you extra 1-2k. btw, this is already common knowledge but NEVER buy anything of high value from a Jewelry store. online rules and it isnt even close. It is out of control. You can literally find something online for 10k that would be 20k in a fucking store.

3. Collection Agency - I got thrown in collections for a water cooler i didnt return. I got the notice in the mail with a specific balance to pay 203.32. Collection guy then proceeds to tell me there is a collection fee that isnt listed on the letter i got that I would need to pay. I said if i needed to pay it why wasnt it on the letter they sent me. Finally got them to waive it as I said I wouldnt pay.

4. XM Radio - I got 3 months free of XM radio with my new car even though I had it on my other car. Called up as 3 month was over and then they tried to charge me an activation fee. I told them to fuck off and I wouldnt pay it. What you know they waived it.

I understand that companies try to make as much money as possible but it has become ridiculous. The last few years itseems as if every company isnt trying to just charge you a little more but a ton more.

Comments

simpdog: lol at Geico's 15 mins saves you 15%. 50 mins saved you 50%?

FrenchJew: scaming is the norm these days.

Load Metric
    At the risk of oversimplifying a complex equation, my recent experience in business ownership has left me with the distinct impression that everyone on earth who isnt a fucking bank is going to spend 10 eternities paying for the bailout of the financial systems imploded attempts at outright larceny.

So yeah there is no pretty much no one on earth anymore who doesnt have their hands in your fucking pockets by default at this point.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    First off Geico is awful. 2nd you can make a deal with the collection agency. They buy the debt for like 15 cents on the dollar. Just tell them I will pay this much take it or leave it. Offer them like 50% and they will be happy.

Load Metric
    I've recently learned that by calling and just asking about cancelling (Internet, Phone, Cable, insert any monthly fee service) will basically cut your bill in half. I decided to dump my home phone and when I called Vonage to cancel they dropped the rate to $10/month from $24.99. I signed up for the free trial of the credit score thing and it's like $24.99/month on the website, when I went to cancel the free trial they just kept dropping the rate: first it was 15.99, then 7.99, and then 2.99!

Comments

Deal: Jew tip from a non-jew
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Stay the hell away from Geico.

I never even had a policy with them

Just getting a quote from them on the phone was enough for me to gtfo.

On 2 different occasions over the last several years they quoted me a policy that was literally 2.5x more than what I was already paying - same coverage and everything.
    And then on both occasions after quoting me, the deadbeat almost in the same breath says "now will you be paying that today with a credit card or a check by phone?", and im obviously asking them how much crack they have been smoking. He THEN proceeds to try to explain to me how it would STILL be beneficial for me to sign up with them...even though I have already told him more than once what I am currently paying. He would bring up shit like....well, you get a loyalty discount every year bla bla bla. I then asked him to get out a calculator and calculate for me exactly how many years it would take for me to officially save money by switching to Geico. He of course didn't want to touch that one. Good God. I wish I would have recorded the convo.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: tits in motion= +1

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

1. Geico - I was paying 240 a month for my car through Geico. I was with them before with my old car which was 140 a month. I figured the higher premium was simply cause my new car was worth more. Didnt give much thought and was lazy until was time to renew. Found a rate for 130 a month and called them back. They magically put me through their "new program" and were able to cut my payments in half. The whole fucking song and dance was funny. She put on hold like 5 times to talk to her boss and because I was a VIP i got this lower rate. So my 6 month premium went from 1450 to 700. I am guessing they just do he math and if you have been with them for 5 years you probably wont question the new quote that you get when you get a new car. They know people dont like change especially with insurance and they prey on that.

2. Diamond - Went into a local store with a print out of the type of diamond I wanted. I found the one i wanted online, with ratings on cut, clarity and all that good stuff. I was willing to pay a premium of 1-2k if they could just find the same one and I could get it from their store and not deal with Fedex. Obv the store person couldn't so instead proceeded to waste my time and lie for 40 mins trying to tell me why i shouldn't buy online. Hey bitch, I am telling you that if you can find this fucking rock I will give you extra 1-2k. btw, this is already common knowledge but NEVER buy anything of high value from a Jewelry store. online rules and it isnt even close. It is out of control. You can literally find something online for 10k that would be 20k in a fucking store.

3. Collection Agency - I got thrown in collections for a water cooler i didnt return. I got the notice in the mail with a specific balance to pay 203.32. Collection guy then proceeds to tell me there is a collection fee that isnt listed on the letter i got that I would need to pay. I said if i needed to pay it why wasnt it on the letter they sent me. Finally got them to waive it as I said I wouldnt pay.

4. XM Radio - I got 3 months free of XM radio with my new car even though I had it on my other car. Called up as 3 month was over and then they tried to charge me an activation fee. I told them to fuck off and I wouldnt pay it. What you know they waived it.

I understand that companies try to make as much money as possible but it has become ridiculous. The last few years itseems as if every company isnt trying to just charge you a little more but a ton more.
    Ah... cmoney feels my Jew pain!

A few comments:

1) Regarding Geico, they are similar to all auto insurance companies. You get punished for being a loyal customer. If you stay with the same auto insurance company for awhile, your rates will either rise or stay the same. I don't have experience adding new cars onto an existing policy, but I am not surprised that they tried to gouge you. Basically the assumption is that people are creatures of habit, and will pay anything that "appears" reasonable. What does surprise me is that they negotiated with you. In my case, they tend to give me the middle finger and tell me those are their rates, take 'em or leave 'em. The bottom line is that you're best off switching insurance companies every year or so. You should even do this if you're simply switching back and forth between two companies. You will end up with a much cheaper rate this way. You are considered a "new" customer every time you leave and come back, so you will get a better rate. Do not believe any BS they give you about "industry rates going up", criticism of their competitors, or any garbage like that. Furthermore, they should LOWER your rates over time (barring accidents/tickets), because your car gets older and is therefore worth less to replace. If your premium rises or stays the same, switch to someone else.

2) No comment about the diamonds thing, except you can still get a good deal in places like Downtown LA where there is low overhead. NEVER buy diamonds from any mall or anyone who advertises on TV/radio.

3) As already stated, collection agents buy debts for pennies on the dollar, and then will try to extract as much as they can out of you, including fees. NEVER agree to pay fees. Make sure they provide you with a letter that the debt is paid in full, so they can't lie later and say it was just a partial payment. If collection agents refuse to deal with you, tell them your final offer and tell them you will hang up if they don't accept it. And if they don't accept it, actually hang up.

4) Regarding XM: This is a very negotiable rate. DO NOT pay any activation fee. Do NOT pay any "invoice fee" or any other crap fee. Do NOT extend your free trial that comes with your car until it's up. (They will try to scare you into doing this. Ignore them.) When it comes time to renew, keep repeatedly demanding a lower price. Right now I am paying like $90 per year. I paid $77 for years. They wouldn't budge this year beyond $90, so I accepted that. The original bill was like $176. So if you're paying much more than half of what they are billing you, you are overpaying.

Load Metric

When it comes to car insurance, the lowest rate is usually not the best way to go. The number of uninsured/underinsured drivers is staggering, and growing by the day. With all the beaners flooding across the border, and the economy being in the state it's in, lots of people choose to ignore getting the required insurance. They figure if they get stopped without insurance, they may get a fine that equals one month of insurance, so why get it?

If you get hit by an uninsured/underinsured motorist (which has happened to me twice) you want an insurance company that will take care of you, and not try and nickel and dime you. Places like Geico can offer these low rates because it is nearly impossible to collect from them. Both times I was hit, I hired an attorney. He would tell me stories about how someone wanted to save $10/month on their insurance, so they switched from State Farm to Geico/Progressive/All State. When it came time for the insurance company to pay out, they flat out refused. They basically offer you pennies on the dollar of what you deserve and say "sue us."

I was sideswiped by a drunk and it fucked up a disc in my back that required surgery. I had State Farm coverage and they covered it with ZERO questions asked. When it came time to pay out the pain and suffering money, they wrote me a check for my policy limit of $100,000 with ZERO questions asked. My lawyer got 30% of it, but he was not surprised State Farm paid it out so easily.

Nowadays, underinsured/uninsured coverage is the most important part of your car insurance. Don't skimp on it today to save $15, because it may cost you a hell of a lot more in the future. Don't just find the cheapest. Find the company who will take care of you if something happens. You get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post

When it comes to car insurance, the lowest rate is usually not the best way to go. The number of uninsured/underinsured drivers is staggering, and growing by the day. With all the beaners flooding across the border, and the economy being in the state it's in, lots of people choose to ignore getting the required insurance. They figure if they get stopped without insurance, they may get a fine that equals one month of insurance, so why get it?

If you get hit by an uninsured/underinsured motorist (which has happened to me twice) you want an insurance company that will take care of you, and not try and nickel and dime you. Places like Geico can offer these low rates because it is nearly impossible to collect from them. Both times I was hit, I hired an attorney. He would tell me stories about how someone wanted to save $10/month on their insurance, so they switched from State Farm to Geico/Progressive/All State. When it came time for the insurance company to pay out, they flat out refused. They basically offer you pennies on the dollar of what you deserve and say "sue us."

I was sideswiped by a drunk and it fucked up a disc in my back that required surgery. I had State Farm coverage and they covered it with ZERO questions asked. When it came time to pay out the pain and suffering money, they wrote me a check for my policy limit of $100,000 with ZERO questions asked. My lawyer got 30% of it, but he was not surprised State Farm paid it out so easily.

Nowadays, underinsured/uninsured coverage is the most important part of your car insurance. Don't skimp on it today to save $15, because it may cost you a hell of a lot more in the future. Don't just find the cheapest. Find the company who will take care of you if something happens. You get what you pay for.
    Correct.

The lowest price is not always the best deal, especially with insurance. You may pay a bit more by staying with the same company (this is debatable but for the sake of argument let's assume it's true) but to azzclown's point insurance is about protection, and will your company be there for you when the shit hits the fan and you really need them.

Insurance is too often treated like a commodity and it shouldn't be. That kind of thinking has the potential to really bite you in the ass at the least opportune time.

Cmoney, by your own admission you seem a bit nonchalant regarding your insurance. Find a great company first, negotiate a fair price, and then stop worrying about a couple hundred bucks a year extra you may or may not be paying.

With what you pay for steak dinners and scotch I wouldn't get too bent about your insurance premiums. Geico?? C'mon man you need to take this more seriously IMO.

Comments

ftpjesus: [plain]Agreed. Only had insurance through two diff carriers in my life USAA and Progressive and while USAA has occasionally been higher never had an issue and few claims my family has had they have been awesome (inc an underinsured claim several yrs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tony, I can tell you from experience that it's 100% true that you pay more by staying with the same company.

I'm not saying that ALL companies act like this, but every one I've encountered has, and I've had a lot of different insurance companies.

Anal Hershiser's story is interesting, and there probably is some validity to the "you get what you pay for" story when it comes to auto insurance, but at the same time I believe his lawyer was exaggerating. If large insurance companies like Geico and Allstate were really denying most claims, they would have had regulators (and the news media) up their ass years ago. It is probably true that some insurers are "easier" about paying claims than others, but I am not convinced that is necessarily a function of price.

Anyway, if you want to stick with certain insurers with a known history of paying easily, I can understand that, but at least pick two of them and keep switching back and forth. You will save money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, the reason companies screw you for staying put is twofold:

1) As I mentioned before, as your car gets older, it becomes cheaper for them to insure, but they are unlikely to lower your price. They used to do this in the past, but companies realized that people have a mentality of "If I paid it 6 months ago, I'll pay it again today", so they realized they were throwing away money by lowering premiums. Therefore, your premium will almost never go down on its own.

2) They know people are willing to pay higher rates when something changes, so they jack your rates up big time when you get a ticket, were in an accident, and apparently even when you get a new car. They figure you won't question it and will just accept it as changed circumstances.

Load Metric

you would have gotten the same results from State Farm without a lawyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric

I sold insurance for a few years and really what he told you is bs. Progressive is the only company I use. Its cheaper and you will never have an issue with them. In reality where insurance really matters is homeowners. Most people think its all the same but its not even close. I sold for Erie and I saw first hand how much better they were then anyone else.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW, the reason companies screw you for staying put is twofold:

1) As I mentioned before, as your car gets older, it becomes cheaper for them to insure, but they are unlikely to lower your price. They used to do this in the past, but companies realized that people have a mentality of "If I paid it 6 months ago, I'll pay it again today", so they realized they were throwing away money by lowering premiums. Therefore, your premium will almost never go down on its own.

2) They know people are willing to pay higher rates when something changes, so they jack your rates up big time when you get a ticket, were in an accident, and apparently even when you get a new car. They figure you won't question it and will just accept it as changed circumstances.

Thats not entirely correct. Most people think they base insurance on the value of your car which is only part of it. The cost of replacement parts are a big part of your insurance costs thats why cheap ass cars like Kias actually have higher insurance rates then cars that cost alot more.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Tony, I can tell you from experience that it's 100% true that you pay more by staying with the same company.

I'm not saying that ALL companies act like this, but every one I've encountered has, and I've had a lot of different insurance companies.

Anal Hershiser's story is interesting, and there probably is some validity to the "you get what you pay for" story when it comes to auto insurance, but at the same time I believe his lawyer was exaggerating. If large insurance companies like Geico and Allstate were really denying most claims, they would have had regulators (and the news media) up their ass years ago. It is probably true that some insurers are "easier" about paying claims than others, but I am not convinced that is necessarily a function of price.

Anyway, if you want to stick with certain insurers with a known history of paying easily, I can understand that, but at least pick two of them and keep switching back and forth. You will save money.

They will increase you on renewel which is why you should have a 12 month policy instead of a 6 month along with if you get tickets your price is locked in for 12 months instead of 6. If your company doesnt give you any bonuses for your time with them then you probably should switch often if the money is a big enough deal, but most insurance companies have discounts for clean records after a certain amount of years.

Load Metric
    Health insurance is an even bigger racket. They have partnered with drug companies to create a list of allowable drugs effectively trumping doctors prescriptions. They also have a policy of denying first claims and making you fight for the coverage you paid for.

Comments

ftpjesus: Dont even get me started. Most know my nearly 2 yr nightmare I had with BCBS of NC with my back injury. Actual 1st appeal was a fucking gen practice MD not a spine MD... Ultimately idiots paid for 2 surgeries instead of just one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Most companies are just getting worse and worse.

C$ why are you buying a diamond? About to propose?

Comments

ftpjesus: Money's getting himself a pimp ring I think.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    The naivete in this thread is stunning.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    The naivete in this thread is stunning.

Load Metric
    With the exception of food, I always check the prices on the internet first.

Amazon usually has lower prices on most products, even after you factor in sales tax.
    If your buying from a retailer(Best Buy, Target, etc.) then you are getting ripped off by at least 30%.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Thread Information