Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Johnny Manziel??? Say it ain't so!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Nothing I have heard about Johnny Manziel suggests he is even much of an NFL talent. He is 5'11," does not have a particularly strong arm, and is not a very mature person/leader (although I guess he has time to grow into this). The other short guys who are successful QBs in the league all have very strong arms (Brees, Wilson, Vick).

I guess a comparison to another "intangibles" QB who did very well in the NFL without great arm strength was Joe Montana, but he was at least over 6' in an era where linemen were shorter, and he was not much of a prospect coming out of college either.

There is also a sample size issue. We have only seem Manziel play 12 games total. Chances are his on field performance and results drift back to the mean moving forward, especially in the stacked SEC.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    check out Jay Bilas' twitter.....he lit up the NCAA making the same point I made yesterday.....they make a shitload selling numbered jerseys of athletes even as they suspend them.....yes they dont "technically" put the names on the jerseys but the numbers arent random and still include both honey badger and muhammad....as I said originally, the NCAA is both corrupt and dysfunctional....current court cases might stop the ripping off of players likenesses but as long as the colleges make such bank from the revenue sports nothing will change ......

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurdleking View Post
    check out Jay Bilas' twitter.....he lit up the NCAA making the same point I made yesterday.....they make a shitload selling numbered jerseys of athletes even as they suspend them.....yes they dont "technically" put the names on the jerseys but the numbers arent random and still include both honey badger and muhammad....as I said originally, the NCAA is both corrupt and dysfunctional....current court cases might stop the ripping off of players likenesses but as long as the colleges make such bank from the revenue sports nothing will change ......
    Yet you still can't provide examples to back up your bullshit statements. Just STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Just to clarify I checked Texas A&Ms website and basically Manziels' 4 yr ride avgs out to roughly 22k a year.. This years tuition fulltime for everythign including books room and board etc.. is 21,585. And lets be honest the school makes a profit off their students so in reality his actually COST tot he school is probably closer to 15k (but as much money as he's makign them likely closer to ZERO POINT ZERO). So even with assumed inflation the supposed value is probably in the ballpark of at most 90k if there is an avg increase to 25k the last 2 yrs hes there and he wont be he's leaving after 3 anyway we all know it.

https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Cost/COA_Undergrad.aspx

Comments

lewfather: not every player is johnny fucking football either, you know you have guys getting scholarships to dive into pools. I'm sure that brings in hella money.

shortbuspoker: please stop. just stop. listen to lewfather because he is right. football and basketball pay for ALL of the other sports.

Load Metric
    The NCAA fucked up big time. Having players names in the meta data and in hidden divs on their merchandise website is going to open them up to a lawsuit.

Also they were selling Manziel's jersey with Football on it, for Johnny Football. The problem with that is the Manziel's applied for a trademark for Johnny Football and that could make the NCAA liable.

Two things need to happen. Abolishment of Title IX which its a complete joke at the university level and allowing players the ability to protect their image and likeness. I don't feel like schools should pay players, but it isn't fair when players are forced to go to paid autograph sessions or paid dinners on behalf of the university and they receive zero compensation.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Just to clarify I checked Texas A&Ms website and basically Manziels' 4 yr ride avgs out to roughly 22k a year.. This years tuition fulltime for everythign including books room and board etc.. is 21,585. And lets be honest the school makes a profit off their students so in reality his actually COST tot he school is probably closer to 15k (but as much money as he's makign them likely closer to ZERO POINT ZERO). So even with assumed inflation the supposed value is probably in the ballpark of at most 90k if there is an avg increase to 25k the last 2 yrs hes there and he wont be he's leaving after 3 anyway we all know it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

You never fucking read my previous posting then because I stated that football and basketball pays for all the other sports 95% of the time. My point is people are acting like A&M is giving Manziel this huge fucking financial consideration for him being their QB which is horseshit. They money they are giving in consideration for all the money the school and NCAA are making off him is a horseshit comparison which is what everybodyelse is saying. People were throwing out asinine figures of 140k which is dead wrong. My point is his freeride is roughly 90k at most if he stayed 4 yrs in reality he's staying 3 yrs and at most the 'value' of his scholarship is maybe 65k over the 3 yrs and thats with the markup the college puts on tuition and shit. School isnt spending anything for him which is my and several other peoples point. Oh and for those who claim the poor kids are getting all this grant money its incorrect.. Any school based scholarship money comes off first before any Pell Grants are awarded and if the school gives them money to cover it all then guess what, NO GRANT MONEY..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Supposedly Manziel met with NCAA today for 6 hours. I have done some reading up on the NCAA "laws" and obv if he took cash for autographs he would be fucked but they have some other thing that says something like even if you sign and don't take money and know the autographs or whatever will be sold for profit then you will be ineligible as well.

Obv Manziel is huge for college football and they probably want to see him cleared but the game will move on with or without him. He should be suspended if he signed for these dealers even if they can't prove he was not payed but the question is will they suspend him?

And obv there is a huge debate on whether kids should get payed or not and that's another topic. As far as signing autographs go players should be able to 100 % sign and receive money for their own signatures. it is against NCAA laws now but they need to change that.

What about signing sponsorship deals? Kids prob should be able to do that too as long as it doesn't conflict with NCAA sponsors.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Supposedly Manziel met with NCAA today for 6 hours. I have done some reading up on the NCAA "laws" and obv if he took cash for autographs he would be fucked but they have some other thing that says something like even if you sign and don't take money and know the autographs or whatever will be sold for profit then you will be ineligible as well.

Obv Manziel is huge for college football and they probably want to see him cleared but the game will move on with or without him. He should be suspended if he signed for these dealers even if they can't prove he was not payed but the question is will they suspend him?

And obv there is a huge debate on whether kids should get payed or not and that's another topic. As far as signing autographs go players should be able to 100 % sign and receive money for their own signatures. it is against NCAA laws now but they need to change that.

What about signing sponsorship deals? Kids prob should be able to do that too as long as it doesn't conflict with NCAA sponsors.

shady boosters will just "sponsor" kids, kinda like they already do and recruting will just become a bidding war (like it kinda already is).

Gold
    Load Metric

why not ONLY allow official ncaa sponsors to offer sponorships to the athletes? wouldnt be a conflict...the athlete, the NCAA and official sponsors get to make $ and the NCAA maintains control over who is and isnt allowed to pay these kids.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post

why not ONLY allow official ncaa sponsors to offer sponorships to the athletes? wouldnt be a conflict...the athlete, the NCAA and official sponsors get to make $ and the NCAA maintains control over who is and isnt allowed to pay these kids.
    I think what he is saying is that if a team such as Alabama who is a Nike sponsored team a player should be able to solicit sponsors as long as they do not conflict with Nike i.e. wearing Under Armor cleats with his Nike made uniform. At least that's my take. Could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post

I think what he is saying is that if a team such as Alabama who is a Nike sponsored team a player should be able to solicit sponsors as long as they do not conflict with Nike i.e. wearing Under Armor cleats with his Nike made uniform. At least that's my take. Could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
    right on, definitely makes sense...i guess i was more thinking in terms of eliminating texter's concern that shady boosters "sponsoring" kids

Load Metric
    Breaking News: Manziel suspended for 1st HALF of the Rice game on Saturday based on settlement reached between Texas A&M and the NCAA.. In otherwards they couldnt prove shit other then he did sign a shitload of stuff which was a violation of rules but couldnt prove any money exchanged hands. So yet more egg on NCAAs face... Waste of everybodys time in the end..

Bronze
    Load Metric
    lol at suspension for 1/2 of Rice game......Jesus is right, waste of time, A+M could beat Rice with their practice squad.....NCAA is, as I have been saying dysfunctional......

Load Metric
    That suspension is a fucking insult to anyone with common sense. If he did nothing wrong then there would be no penalty, but obv he is being punished for something although SI is quoting an NCAA soruce as saying that they will announce there is no evidence that Manziel accepted money. He just signed 4,000 pieces of memorabilia for a dealer out of the kindness of his heart.

Fucking clownshoes NCAA

Load Metric
    Name:  slaves2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  115.5 KB

Free the slaves
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Does anyone think that Sumlin has the balls to bench him next week? I actually agree with Lou Holtz for once in that Sumlin has to handle Manziel's attitude problem or it will infect the whole team.

Thread Information