Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Market for a Plasma TV

Load Metric

In the Market for a Plasma TV

As the title implies I'm looking for a deal on a 50"-60" Plasma TV. It's going to go downstairs where there is no natural light so I'm told a Plasma is the way to go in these conditions.

I'd probably just buy it through Druff's link but since I'm Canadian he'd get nothing out of it & am looking to buy elsewhere online & get free delivery.
    I'm looking at this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16889005289CVF for $999 with free delivery.
    I've seen it as low as $949 through Costco this week. I probably should have bought one Boxing Week but I was asleep at the wheel.

I'm not stuck on LG or anything so any advice would be appreciated. Is Plasma really the way to go?

Thanks in advance.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    As the title implies I'm looking for a deal on a 50"-60" Plasma TV. It's going to go downstairs where there is no natural light so I'm told a Plasma is the way to go in these conditions.

I'd probably just buy it through Druff's link but since I'm Canadian he'd get nothing out of it & am looking to buy elsewhere online & get free delivery.
    I'm looking at this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16889005289CVF for $999 with free delivery.
    I've seen it as low as $949 through Costco this week. I probably should have bought one Boxing Week but I was asleep at the wheel.

I'm not stuck on LG or anything so any advice would be appreciated. Is Plasma really the way to go?

Thanks in advance.
    ATM I prefer LED, but you will spend a lot more for a 60 inch. I think the reason to go plasma at that size is because you get a lot more bang for your buck. All the rage, at least from what I've read, including reviews on this site, is that the Panasonic is the way to go with the 60+inch plasma...

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60ST50

Load Metric
    Have you ever heard about a Plasma being better in a room without natural light because it's brighter than an LED?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Originally Posted by Weiss
    I don't google shit because it's a waste of my time

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    Originally Posted by Weiss
    I don't google shit because it's a waste of my time
    Name:  Laugh 7.gif
Views: 228
Size:  1.10 MB

I have used google but I guess I had that coming.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    i've had good luck with samsung lcd's fwiw

Load Metric
    I was thinking LED or LCD when I started my search then was told a Plasma was really good in the lighting conditions of a downstairs. It seems I can get more TV for the money if I went Plasma, but I want something quality. Samsung certainly fits the quality bill from what I can tell.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Have you ever heard about a Plasma being better in a room without natural light because it's brighter than an LED?
    I thought it was the other way around...lol. I'll tell you this... after watching all these different types (plasma, LCD, LED) of TV's over the course of the last few years, as far as overall picture quality, the LED puts the other TVs to shame. However, if I was going to buy a 60 incher or more I would def go with plasma, simply because you get a lot more for your money when you get up in that size range. Considering how much better the technology is going to be in the next 5-10 years with the ultra high def tv's, I wouldn't want to make a heavy investment ATM. I would say go plasma and then down the road go balls out with one of the ultra high defs when the time is right. From what I've seen when they get to a decent price range they will be worth the wait.

Load Metric
    And seriously, don't discount that link I posted. Everyone seems to love that TV. I checked it out at Best Buy and the pic was very nice.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    And seriously, don't discount that link I posted. Everyone seems to love that TV. I checked it out at Best Buy and the pic was very nice.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm also looking at this 55" LED TV. Seems like a decent deal for under $1000.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69483&...s&promoid=1392
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post
    Awesome link. Very informative, Thanks.

This link also reminded me of another reason I was leaning to the plasma. It's a very large room & the viewing angle is supposed to be superior on the plasmas.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have not done any research lately but when I was looking to go big screen I debated the LCD - Plasma question. I was told or I read that Plasma was not as good

for fast movement, i.e. sports. Well that was enough for me because of hockey and such.

Also at the time I was ready to buy, LED tv reviews were available even though the LED had not hit the market yet. The reviews I read favoured LED's over the others

simply because the "light" is everything when it comes to tv and LED lights outperform all others, apparently.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I have not done any research lately but when I was looking to go big screen I debated the LCD - Plasma question. I was told or I read that Plasma was not as good

for fast movement, i.e. sports. Well that was enough for me because of hockey and such.

Also at the time I was ready to buy, LED tv reviews were available even though the LED had not hit the market yet. The reviews I read favoured LED's over the others

simply because the "light" is everything when it comes to tv and LED lights outperform all others, apparently.
    I had also heard that but according to the link Anal provided, it's not true. It says the Plasma is best for sports.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    My uncle sells high-end TV's, so if you lived in my area I could hook you up, but Canada... you're on your own. First question he always asks is "what are you going to use it for?" He says Plasmas are better for video games or watching sports. Then its on to money, and then he explains to people how Plasmas use a lot more power and get really hot.

As far as a brand, just pick a high-end brand and if you buy it locally you can usually get a really good deal on an extended 2-year warranty (I think we paid $100 through my uncle). Might want to inquire about the extended warranty up front and see if you can get it at cost if you buy through them.

I'll add that my uncle has LCD tv's throughout his house
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Thanks in advance.
    I was in this exact search a month ago. I was thinking plasma for price and being in a room with no natural light. Plasma are 600 Hz so for watching sports it is great. The problem with plasma, for me was the pic always seemed dark. I compared the LG plasma along with the LED LG and Samsung. I ended up getting the 55in Samsung LED and can't be happier. It is the best picture I have seen. I didn't do a lot of price shopping and got it at HHGregg for around $1100. I think I saw it on sale for $999 now.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Plasma picture will shit on any other type of TV in similar price range.

I have a plasma in the living room, and the difference is massive between that and the other LCD/LED I have in other rooms.

I would spend the extra few hundred and bump the budget up to $1300 or so, the difference is huge.

If you want that size screen for that much money you are going to get a lower rung model.

For the money you won't find a better TV than this line from Panasonic...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B00752VKSC

They have all different sizes. I am in the market for a new huge 60-65 for my living room but after researching I decided to wait until I could afford a better model, there are big differences you won't realize initially in quality and other features. Most of the cheap bang for buck models are frought with issues in one way or another.

I was (and am) very close to pulling the trigger on that Panasonic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Plasma picture will shit on any other type of TV in similar price range.

I have a plasma in the living room, and the difference is massive between that and the other LCD/LED I have in other rooms.

I would spend the extra few hundred and bump the budget up to $1300 or so, the difference is huge.

If you want that size screen for that much money you are going to get a lower rung model.

For the money you won't find a better TV than this line from Panasonic...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B00752VKSC

They have all different sizes. I am in the market for a new huge 60-65 for my living room but after researching I decided to wait until I could afford a better model, there are big differences you won't realize initially in quality and other features. Most of the cheap bang for buck models are frought with issues in one way or another.

I was (and am) very close to pulling the trigger on that Panasonic.
    Considering the plasma/LCD debate has gone on for years and many see little difference either way your initial statement must be considered hyperbole. Should we question most of what you have to say?

While I have nothing against Samsung tv's, it's their "Smart" controller that is an utter piece of shit.

I've gone thru three of these fucking things ($100 each) and finally gave up.

Thread Information