Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The Seahawks Own Your Face

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post
    Agreed this is why the get paid alot of money.
    How much would it cost for me to hit you in the face with a baseball bat?

These guys get paid to play football. They don't get paid to sustain brain damage. Saying "that's part of the job" is illegal and immoral.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post
    I remember the ref behind the play throwing his flag first, then the other two threw theirs after he threw his. In real time, when I saw it, I was facing both of them and I thought it was a helmet to helmet hit at first. It was obvious on replay, but I can't really fault the refs call. Anytime someones head snaps back like that, they are probably gonna call it. Most of the time they'll be right. Vernon Davis is a beast of a man. Takes some kind of hit to knock a guy like that senseless and out of a game.
    I agree with all of that.

The penalty was for the defensive player launching himself at the receiver. They have been clear this year that you can't intentionally leave the ground and become a missile, particularly when the other player is either in the air or not looking at you. He doesn't get a lot of height on this play, but he does leave the ground.

They have to protect these players. I don't want to see guys getting permanently disabled by football. That rule protects defensive players too.
    That is one of the cleanest hard hits I have ever seen. If you think there is something wrong with it you just don't like football.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    This is textbook and he got fined for it.

Disagree shady, he lowered his head and went head first. Easy penalty and fine.

Load Metric

These guys get paid to play football. They don't get paid to sustain brain damage. Saying "that's part of the job" is illegal and immoral.
    Barry, do you think that Kam Chancellor's hit was illegal and do you think he deserves a fine and why? If you already stated your opinion I must have missed it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Barry, do you think that Kam Chancellor's hit was illegal and do you think he deserves a fine and why? If you already stated your opinion I must have missed it.
    When I first saw it, I thought it was a hit to the head. Everyone forgets how quickly these plays happen. Comparing a ref's split second decision to your watching it 20 times in slow mo from 6 angles isn't fair.

Upon review, it's extremely borderline. I think that Chancellor planted both feet and jumped to make the hit- which is illegal. His toes appear to be on or near the ground, but I don't think he has any weight on the ground.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    If you think there is something wrong with it you just don't like football.
    If your version of football involves 50 year old men shooting themselves because of a lifetime of traumatic brain injury symptoms, then I guess I don't like football.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...-star-20121002

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If you think there is something wrong with it you just don't like football.
    If your version of football involves 50 year old men shooting themselves because of a lifetime of traumatic brain injury symptoms, then I guess I don't like football.

He didn't hit him in the head. If it's illegal for him to make that hit then it's impossible to play defense in the NFL. Football is a dangerous game in which clean play can still lead to injuries. All of this players know this and except the risk. I guarantee if they ask Davis if it was a clean hit he would say yes. No one is for traumatic brain injury but it's going to happen just like in boxing and MMA. The only way to make the NFL safe is to go to flag/fag football, is that what you want?

Load Metric

He didn't hit him in the head. If it's illegal for him to make that hit then it's impossible to play defense in the NFL. Football is a dangerous game in which clean play can still lead to injuries. All of this players know this and except the risk. I guarantee if they ask Davis if it was a clean hit he would say yes. No one is for traumatic brain injury but it's going to happen just like in boxing and MMA. The only way to make the NFL safe is to go to flag/fag football, is that what you want?
    Both of you guys are right. It's a very fine line to draw between exciting, physical play, and player safety.

These guys shouldn't be blowing their brains out in the numbers that they are. I remember watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel when they did a piece on former NFL players with brain injuries. Some of these guys couldn't even walk or remember the simplest of things. That's fine if you are 90 years old. But it should not be happening to guys in their 50's. It's also disappointing to see the NFL turn their backs on these guys. The league makes billions of dollars but they can't take care of their former players? This is a very tough situation with no simple answer. They tell guys not to go high to protect the head. So guys go low, and now you're gonna see more leg and knee injuries (Heath Miller, Mario Manningham.) Where does it end? Is it going to turn into flag football? At this point, that's where it seems to be heading.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Both of you guys are right. It's a very fine line to draw between exciting, physical play, and player safety.

These guys shouldn't be blowing their brains out in the numbers that they are. I remember watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel when they did a piece on former NFL players with brain injuries. Some of these guys couldn't even walk or remember the simplest of things. That's fine if you are 90 years old. But it should not be happening to guys in their 50's. It's also disappointing to see the NFL turn their backs on these guys. The league makes billions of dollars but they can't take care of their former players? This is a very tough situation with no simple answer. They tell guys not to go high to protect the head. So guys go low, and now you're gonna see more leg and knee injuries (Heath Miller, Mario Manningham.) Where does it end? Is it going to turn into flag football? At this point, that's where it seems to be heading.

What it's heading to is a style of play like the pro bowl. If that happens the NFL will die because it's simply unwatchable.

Load Metric

Agree. Football is, in a way, suffering from its own popularity right now. It is the top sport in the USA, and thus will deal with controversy. No one gives a shit about old boxers or MMA fighters, or they just accept that those are sports where damage is done. The same people seem to forget that football is basically civilized war for sport (don't forget the terminology used in the game).

Load Metric
    This is textbook and he got fined for it.

Well according to the rules your wrong. Theres no penalty for lowering your head its what you do with your head when your making contact. If you listen Billick explains its not a penalty, because he didnt go upward with his head. He didnt leave his feet. He didnt launch himself. He didnt hit upward. To say easy penalty for that and not the Seahawk its just your Seahawk blinders on again.

A.R. 12.43 ROUGHING THE PASSER
    Second-and-10 on B35. Quarterback A1 rolls out of the pocket, and while moving, throws a pass to A2 who runs out of bounds at the B12. Just after A1 released the ball, B1 launches and hits A1 in the chest area with the forehead part of the helmet and then continues to rip up and contact A1 under the chin with his helmet.
    Ruling: A’s ball, first-and-goal on B6. Roughing the passer. (12-2-8-c)

Load Metric

Its not like the game they signed up to play is not alot rougher in fact its the opposite. They know what their getting themselves into just like any other profession like a firefighter or cop. Theres possible consequences to your line of work.

Once the media gets ahold of something everyone jumps on board. How many football players have played the game whether its NFL College High School Canadain since the time it was invented, and theres been a few suicides, and of course its brain trauma from football. Not the fact they lived like kings there whole lifes and now their old and broke and life fuckin sucks for the first time and they cant deal with it. Its peopel like you who hear one thing from the media and want to change everything about a game thats been played relatively safely for a long time.

Load Metric

Its not like the game they signed up to play is not alot rougher in fact its the opposite. They know what their getting themselves into just like any other profession like a firefighter or cop. Theres possible consequences to your line of work.

Once the media gets ahold of something everyone jumps on board. How many football players have played the game whether its NFL College High School Canadain since the time it was invented, and theres been a few suicides, and of course its brain trauma from football. Not the fact they lived like kings there whole lifes and now their old and broke and life fuckin sucks for the first time and they cant deal with it. Its peopel like you who hear one thing from the media and want to change everything about a game thats been played relatively safely for a long time.
    Lol @ "lived like kings there whole lifes"(sic). Not every player in the league is Tom Brady or Adrian Peterson. The league minimum is mid 6 figures. When you factor in the average NFL career is probably 5 or 6 years, then take out taxes, their agents commission, and union dues, the vast majority of these guys are far from living like kings.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric

Well according to the rules your wrong. Theres no penalty for lowering your head its what you do with your head when your making contact. If you listen Billick explains its not a penalty, because he didnt go upward with his head. He didnt leave his feet. He didnt launch himself. He didnt hit upward. To say easy penalty for that and not the Seahawk its just your Seahawk blinders on again.

Second-and-10 on B35. Quarterback A1 rolls out of the pocket, and while moving, throws a pass to A2 who runs out of bounds at the B12. Just after A1 released the ball, B1 launches and hits A1 in the chest area with the forehead part of the helmet and then continues to rip up and contact A1 under the chin with his helmet.
    LOL Azzclown is the voice of reason in this thread.

Shady, we're having a discussion, I don't have any "seahawk" blinders on.

According to the rules, I'm right. You can't lead with your head against a defenseless player, which is what he did. Honestly this one isn't even that close.

If you would like the rule, it's Rule 12, Section 2, article 7. The NFL has deemed that a quarterback who is still in the pocket and not scrambling is in the act of passing and therefore covered as in a defenseless posture. You cannot lower your head and hit a player in a defenseless posture. It's a penalty and a fine.

Barry, Kam Chancellor clearly does not launch as launching is defined as leaving both feet prior to contact and springing toward the defenseless player. I do not believe he will be fined for this and this is probably something that should be subject to review. Anal and Barry both correctly noted it is very difficult to accurately discern the specifics of the hit in real time.

Load Metric
    I just don't understand what the Seattle player was supposed to do. His helmet is outside his arm & plants his shoulder square in his chest. He got hit hard because the defender had to get over there fast to prevent a TD.

If he doesn't hit him it's a TD. He had to do it & did it as cleanly as he possibly could. Hope he doesn't get fined also.

I agree with tony, Azzclown is spot on in this thread.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

Lol @ "lived like kings there whole lifes"(sic). Not every player in the league is Tom Brady or Adrian Peterson. The league minimum is mid 6 figures. When you factor in the average NFL career is probably 5 or 6 years, then take out taxes, their agents commission, and union dues, the vast majority of these guys are far from living like kings.
    When I say lived like Kings I dont mean money. These guys have been worshiped by everyone around them since they were like 9 years old. Of course not all but a high % of them. They are the bmoc in High School and College they can get any chick they want. The play in the NFL and usually make alot of money and live beyond their means, and then 1 day their 40 years old and their 28 yr old wife doesnt hero worship them anymore because their money ran out. Now he has to get a real job the first time in his life, and then throw in the headaches and shit from concussions. I'm just saying I think when someone kills their self its probably an accumlate of things, and not just from getting a few concussions or the numbers would be much higher imo.

Load Metric

LOL Azzclown is the voice of reason in this thread.

Shady, we're having a discussion, I don't have any "seahawk" blinders on.

According to the rules, I'm right. You can't lead with your head against a defenseless player, which is what he did. Honestly this one isn't even that close.

If you would like the rule, it's Rule 12, Section 2, article 7. The NFL has deemed that a quarterback who is still in the pocket and not scrambling is in the act of passing and therefore covered as in a defenseless posture. You cannot lower your head and hit a player in a defenseless posture. It's a penalty and a fine.

Barry, Kam Chancellor clearly does not launch as launching is defined as leaving both feet prior to contact and springing toward the defenseless player. I do not believe he will be fined for this and this is probably something that should be subject to review. Anal and Barry both correctly noted it is very difficult to accurately discern the specifics of the hit in real time.
    Well the entire Packers staff disagrees with you as well. He didnt hit with the crown of the helmet, and he wasnt going upwards like the Seahawk was. You can say you think thats a flag but if to you thats an easy fine and penalty then the Seahawk whos in the act of launching and put his facemask into the shoulder of Davis cant be is laughable. If either one of those are penaltys and fines theres just no way to tackle someone hard. Its the neck whip that they care about.

Load Metric
    Richard Sherman won his appeal and will not be suspended.

Great day in the morning! What once was lost now is found.

Outrageous that he isn't a first team pro bowler as he is probably the best corner in the NFC right now.

Load Metric

Outrageous that he isn't a first team pro bowler as he is probably the best corner in the NFC right now.

Did they announce the pro bowlers?

edit: I see they did.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

Congrats I didnt think it was possible to win an appeal against the NFL.

I agree Sherman got robbed. The bears corners are good but not as good as Sherman, and Patrick Peterson a very good corner isnt in Shermans class at least not yet.

I think I heard the Seahawks had 1 def pro bowler and SF had like 5 or 6 thats a joke considering how good Seattle d is. I think SF has the best D but Seattles not far behind them.

At first I was disappointed to see 3 Packers (2 deservedly) and 9 niners, but with all the injuries they had I could only make a case for 2 guys being that Hayward wasnt eligible. Thats Tramon Williams and Josh Sitton, but even then I'd take guys ahead of them so its not too disapointing. What is disapointing is Mike McCarthy never getting enough credit for being a great football coach. If the fail Mary never happened GB would have the 2 seed locked up and they only have 2 Pro Bowlers a shit load of players on the IR, tons of guys coming in and out with injuries. So either they have more Pro bowlers or hes a great coach, and considering he won a SuperBowl with even more injuries I think he doesnt get the props he deserves.

Thread Information