Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The left cancels YouTube content pioneer Jenna Marbles over videos from 8-9 years ago

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The left cancels YouTube content pioneer Jenna Marbles over videos from 8-9 years ago

Jenna Marbles, real name Jenna Mourey, was one of the earliest successful regular content providers on YouTube. It all got started 10 years ago, when she released this video, which seems downright amateurish by today's standards, but went viral:

Jenna, who was 29 at the time, attempted to parlay her viral video into a large regular following, and it worked. She released regular videos (at the time, mostly humor-laced tutorials aimed at young women), and she quickly built a very large and dedicated subscriber base.

While YouTube has been around since 2005, for the first five years of its existence, it was mostly a disjointed experience of random videos. There were some regular content providers at the time, but they were relatively small-time, and none made very much money.

Jenna changed all of that. She and a few other 2010 content providers struck lucrative partnership agreements with YouTube, which were the forerunner of the monetization program seen there today (which nearly everyone qualifies for). It was the first concept of its kind on the internet -- where the users who bring the hits get paid big money to continue posting content.

Okay, it was the second time that occurred. The first time was in 2007 when Jewdonk got paid $400 by Pokernews to post on NWP.

Anyway, she was always seen as a venerable and respected figure in the YouTube content world. She blazed the trail for many other content providers to come after her.

However, it was only a matter of time before the left-wing cancel culture was going to come for her. Apparently she did blackface to imitate Nikki Minaj in 2011, and did some song making fun of Asian names in 2012.

That was enough for the left to come after her, and she has now been pressured into quitting YouTube forever.

It was not my intention to do blackface. I do want to tell you how unbelievably sorry I am if I ever offended you by posting this video or by doing this impression, and that that was never my intention. It's not okay. It's shameful. It's awful. I wish it wasn't part of my past.
    For now, I just can't exist on this channel ... I think I'm just going to move on from this channel for now. I don't know how long it's going to be. I just want to make sure the things I'm putting in the world aren't hurting anyone ... so I need to be done with this channel, for now or for forever.

I never cared much for her videos, but I understood why other people liked them. I wasn't her demographic. She was aiming them at young women, and apparently was very successful in attracting that group to her channel. I respect what she's accomplished.

And now she's gone.

Great job, cancel-culture leftists, as always.

RIP Humor

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also here is Jenna from her go-go dancing days in the 2000s, before she found YouTube.

Load Metric
    RIP humor?

You republicans are literally the most miserable people on earth. The type of people who stand with their hands in their pockets at a peral jam concert bitching about the smell of weed.

You people always think someone is trying to get one over on you. Glum bastards.

Sure let the old people die for the sake of money, who cares if they fought 1 or more wars to ensure the freedom of the very people who are now putting their finances ahead of the lives of the war vets.

Fuck you assholes and your USA USA USA bullshit.

Bunch of hypocrites

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    RIP humor?

You republicans are literally the most miserable people on earth. The type of people who stand with their hands in their pockets at a peral jam concert bitching about the smell of weed.

You people always think someone is trying to get one over on you. Glum bastards.

Sure let the old people die for the sake of money, who cares if they fought 1 or more wars to ensure the freedom of the very people who are now putting their finances ahead of the lives of the war vets.

Bunch of hypocrites
    I know I'm going to be sorry for asking this, but...

When did Republicans let old people die for the sake of money?

Load Metric
    I have heard of this chick, but have never watched a moment or knew anything about her content. My entire knowledge was YouTube star. You write she started out a decade ago at 29. That struck me as almost old to appeal to young women. Made me think she’s aging out of the following anyway pushing 40, but her wiki bio puts her at 33 now.

I have no comment on the rest. It appears she stepped down and is calling it quits, or more likely a hiatus. It appears her boyfriend has a super popular channel also from what I read. Maybe she thought it’s best not to take them both down if she can feel it coming. If she’s had a following that long, my guess is she can take a few month mea culpa hiatus and start back up again after penance. It isn’t a tv show where once cancelled, you’re fucked as everyone else gets new jobs and it’s some big financial commitment.

I’m not seeing she is forced out. Doing black face in 2010 was idiotic. Blackface was a career killer 25-30 years ago. I’m sure she didn’t think she’d become some big hit, but she is educated, so if she was wasting the time to make a channel, she should have been smarter than that. Comedy, like all art, is subjective. I’ve never found anything amusing about black face, ever. Not because I give a fuck about the racist element, it’s just not funny to me. It’s always corny af.

I dislike the censorship of comedy, assuming she even qualifies as that, but my guess is she’ll step away, and if she has any real talent at all, be fine after a hiatus.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Codge per usual

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    RIP humor?

Bunch of hypocrites

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests he, other seniors willing to die to get economy going again

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lling-n1167341

Comments

MumblesBadly: Druff conveniently forgot that.

Load Metric
    Seems like she got bullied on the internet by some meanies and is taking a break.

Is the right getting triggered by people being mean on the internet?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Seems like she got bullied on the internet by some meanies and is taking a break.

Is the right getting triggered by people being mean on the internet?
    Damn right they are.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    RIP humor?

Bunch of hypocrites

It was all over Fox News a few weeks ago when they were complaining about the lockdown.

Kind of ironic as the average a Fox News viewer is about 135 years old.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Find your safe place, Druff. The left is out ta get ya!

lol you idiot

Platinum
    Load Metric

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests he, other seniors willing to die to get economy going again

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lling-n1167341
    Actually called a radio show and criticized him to his face when he was running for lt gov...I hate that phony

Load Metric
    no comment about how badly she has aged ??? come on todger you are slipping

Comments

Sheesfaced:

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Kid's Got A Strong Point Rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    So every comedian that ever did a voice of a different race or dressed up like one is done?

What happen to the times where joking about the different races was funny as long as it wasn't done in a malicious, hateful way?

Dave Chappelle is fucked.

Load Metric
    RIP humor?

Bunch of hypocrites

How about this:

Republicans are more likely to be business owners and are more eager to get things going rather than let a lifetime of work go down the drain over something that isn't polio, etc?

Democrats are more likely to work for others, for the government, or be stay at home gritters like big bird and don't care about ^^^ as there will always be a check in the mail for them?

Food for thought.

Load Metric

Spoken like a true stay at home dad who sends his wife to work while he plays on the computer. A real internet tough guy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    So every comedian that ever did a voice of a different race or dressed up like one is done?

What happen to the times where joking about the different races was funny as long as it wasn't done in a malicious, hateful way?

Dave Chappelle is fucked.
    lol no, he's black, he can do whatever he wants.

Dont get me wrong, I think Dave is the best comedian of my generation. But when Fallon and Kimmel are catching shit for doing specific impressions of a real person (but with blackface on), yet Chappelle goes unscathed for wearing whiteface while portraying a generic, stereotypical white guy.....kinda tells you all you need to know.

Load Metric
    My politics are issue to issue. I don’t feel the need to be in one tribe or the other. I feel as if someone needs to refer to a certain party’s platform to decide where to fall on a certain issue it’s a bit silly to me. I do understand that we basically have a binary choice and many feel the need to swallow what they don’t like about the side they are on and just have to deal with it.

That being said, it is clear that it is mostly a certain segment (Small but loud & motivated) of people on the left that really live for going into successful people’s past and tearing them down. It is probably the same people that are constantly calling for boycotts of programs they disagree with. Of course, there are those on the right that engage in this as well. The voices on the left do seem to drown out those engaging in the same behavior on the right.

I understand to the extent I can why it is the history of the use of blackface where white actors would make terrible, stereotypical & downright racist jokes about African-Americans while wearing blackface. White actors wearing blackface were given work that should of went to a person of color.

I don’t believe that any of these well known people were aware of the real history of blackface when they wore it. Nevertheless, it seems like this entire list has been given a pass. Note, you will not see anyone known to be a proponent of issues on the right except maybe for Robert Downey Jr. He has alluded to harboring some views that differ from most of Hollywood but has been careful to elaborate. I can’t blame him when he has been cashing checks upwards of $50 Million Dollars the last 7 to 10 years.

Justin Trudeau (2001) -Aladdin Brownface - Still Prime Minister mostly unscathed.

Jimmy Kimmel (Late 90’s) - “The Man Show” Various Black Athletes & Oprah Winfrey - Announced he will be taking the summer off and returning in September.

Tom Hanks (2004) released in 2012 - School fundraiser where he dressed in blackface and African clothing. He apologized and that was about it.

Ted Danson (1993) - Friars Club Roast of Whoopi Goldberg where he did a monologue in blackface which has been reported to include multiple uses of the N-Word. Came out mostly unscathed even with Mayor Dinkins denouncing the performance. (This wouldn’t fly today or even 10 years ago but he seemed to do this right before it would of really hurt his career).

Jimmy Fallon (2000) - Appeared in a skit on SNL impersonating Chris Rock in blackface. Apologized recently and seems to be unscathed.

Robert Downey Jr. (2008) - Wore blackface to play a comedic role in the movie “Tropic Thunder”. There has been some debate and criticism but between many of his Hollywood friends defending the movie as a satire and then the beginning of his highly successful time playing Iron Man he has come out completely unscathed. In fact, he was praised for this role more than criticized in my opinion.

Comments

gimmick: dan aykroyd trading places

MumblesBadly: Bullshit! Your politics are highly partisan. Your continued apologia for Trump and failure to condemn the lackey GOP senators for not voting to convict him in the Senate trial when Mitt Romney was willing to do so proves you are at minumum

Load Metric
    Jenna marvels finally gone and belle delphine has returned. The internet is back to its rightful state.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

How about this:

Republicans are more likely to be business owners and are more eager to get things going rather than let a lifetime of work go down the drain over something that isn't polio, etc?

Democrats are more likely to work for others, for the government, or be stay at home gritters like big bird and don't care about ^^^ as there will always be a check in the mail for them?

Food for thought.
    Are there no business' in Europe?

How is that they have about a 100m more people yet they are pretty close to being back to normal.

It isn't hard stupid. Back in feb-march Trump shuts down the ENTIRE FUCKING COUNTRY. Then after 8-10 weeks you open back up safely like Europe and the ROW did.

You got dumfucks like that stupid asshole in Georgia who i'm sure you voted for Kemp just shooting from the hip and re-opening business' without following CDC guidlines for re-opening.

You retards think god is gonna save us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

How about this:

Food for thought.

How about this:

Democrats are more likely to be educated.

Republicans are more likely to go to church.

Thread Information