Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I'm old enough to remember when only 4 teams made the playoffs...

Comments

herbertstemple: I remember when there was only the World Series.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by go_buccos View Post

MLB should only have East & West divisions and no inter league play.

Top 2 teams advance straight to championship series. Zero wild cards.

It makes every regular season game matter. You prolly remember when they used to be the case.

Load Metric
    We all know that $$$ is the number 1 reason owners want expanded playoffs. I think, though, that what is now being framed as the "Mike Trout argument" also is in the owners heads, and some of the dumb ones probably believe that MLB's popularity would swing back up if all the stars were in the playoffs.

That is a false reasoning of course. Trout is actually a perfect face of baseball right now: boring white dude who enjoys meteorology. The SABR crowd is the real reason baseball is a borderline unwatchable 3-true-outcomes slog it currently is. The 3-batter reliever rule was a good start to try to fix it, sticky stuff getting axed also helped. I'm starting to come around on the limiting of the shift...a "have to have 2 infielders on either side of second base" I think would now be a good idea.

At least Trout made 1 payoff series. Ernie Banks never made the playoffs.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    It is a capital crime against mathematics to play a 162-game regular season and then have 14 teams in a playoff.

I will be issuing my own economic sanctions against the MLB. I quit NBA regular season long ago and I can do the same here.
    From what I last saw, the owners backed down and accepted a 12-team playoff -- which is still awful.

But you're right. At some point the regular season is going to become largely meaningless. The 162 games exist to smooth out the high variance in baseball, but that all goes out the window if sub-.500 teams are routinely in the playoffs and have a reasonable shot to win it all when they have a few hot players at the moment.

If they want baseball to become more appealing to the younger crowd, the first thing they should do is stop the blackouts on the MLB app, where people can't watch their own home team, even with a paid account. The antiquated cable contracts are forcing out young fans who want to watch on their phones/tablets/computers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually, did I say 162 games?

I meant 156 games.

And dropping.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-deal-deadline

Load Metric

It makes every regular season game matter. You prolly remember when they used to be the case.
    Please do away with interleague play. Most inter-league matches will never be rivals. If MLB wants what few teams to play that could be rivals(mets/yankees, cubs/white sox and so on) then stick them in the same league. These two game series are terrible. Splitting a series 1/1 is like a tie in the NFL. When the Cardinals play Seattle or Oakland or most other AL teams I rarely watch.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    2016... seems so long ago.

Load Metric
    I watch almost no baseball anymore but it's shocking to me how out of touch it seems with the present. Any baseball headline that has caught my attention in the last five years has been negative; egregious cheating, clueless commissioner, greedy owners, the faggot HOF debate, non-marketable players, etc.

I'm regurgitating something I saw on Twitter yesterday but it's shocking to me that Mike Trout, one of the best players ever, only has 1.9 million followers on Instagram; the NBA player provided for comparison was Tyler Herro on the Heat with 2.3 million. Not the best indicator for the future of the game.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    I watch almost no baseball anymore but it's shocking to me how out of touch it seems with the present. Any baseball headline that has caught my attention in the last five years has been negative; egregious cheating, clueless commissioner, greedy owners, the faggot HOF debate, non-marketable players, etc.

I'm regurgitating something I saw on Twitter yesterday but it's shocking to me that Mike Trout, one of the best players ever, only has 1.9 million followers on Instagram; the NBA player provided for comparison was Tyler Herro on the Heat with 2.3 million. Not the best indicator for the future of the game.

Don't forget about the greedy players and players union.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Are you referring to the thousands of minor leaguers who make below minimum wage and work other jobs in the offseason just to get by?

Or maybe referring to the highly touted prospects, who become victims to service time manipulation and kept in the minors until age 23-24 so the team can pay MLB min wage for their prime years, and then when they finally hit free agency at 30ish most teams wont commit to a big contract for a guy who is now on the downswing of his career?

Or maybe you are just regurgitating nonsense. I'm no union guy, in general. Baseball players, however, have some of the worst situations out of all pro sports. Sure, NFL contracts are not guaranteed, but no football player is being forced to destroy their bodies for $300 a week playing in some small town.
    Last edited by gut; 03-03-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post

Are you referring to the thousands of minor leaguers who make below minimum wage and work other jobs in the offseason just to get by?

Or maybe referring to the highly touted prospects, who become victims to service time manipulation and kept in the minors until age 23-24 so the team can pay MLB min wage for their prime years, and then when they finally hit free agency at 30ish most teams wont commit to a big contract for a guy who is now on the downswing of his career?

Or maybe you are just regurgitating nonsense. I'm no union guy, in general. Baseball players, however, have some of the worst situations out of all pro sports. Sure, NFL contracts are not guaranteed, but no football player is being forced to destroy their bodies for $300 a week playing in some small town.
    I think the whole bonus pool for young players is a good start, but they do need to do more to address the relatively recent discovery that there's typically a big decline after 30, to the point where you don't want to sign anyone for big money for many years beyond that age. So there really does need to be a solution for good (not just great) young players who get paid $580k per year or whatever, and then they only make the big money if they're fortunate enough to still be very good (and not injured) when they hit free agency.

I know arbitration has answered some of this, but the pre-arb ones still get fucked. I do see why teams shy away from the 30+ players, and you can't really mandate that teams have to give these guys big $, so it's not simple.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I think the whole bonus pool for young players is a good start, but they do need to do more to address the relatively recent discovery that there's typically a big decline after 30, to the point where you don't want to sign anyone for big money for many years beyond that age. So there really does need to be a solution for good (not just great) young players who get paid $580k per year or whatever, and then they only make the big money if they're fortunate enough to still be very good (and not injured) when they hit free agency.

I know arbitration has answered some of this, but the pre-arb ones still get fucked. I do see why teams shy away from the 30+ players, and you can't really mandate that teams have to give these guys big $, so it's not simple.
    Definitely not simple. Some of the service time manipulation has been fixed organically by teams signing guys to long term deals before they debut. Of course, some of the deals are fair considering the risk on both sides (Luis Robert and Wander Franco for example) but others got completely jobbed by their agents/team (Braves with Acuna AND Albies).

I would modify the Rule 5 requirements to make it more player-friendly. Make it 3 years for any signee/draftee. Not just 3 years until rule 5 protection, but 3 years for minor league free agency as well. Give blocked prospects a chance to move on their own. Also I would ensure everyone on the 40 man roster is paid mlb salary.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Something that isn't talked about enough is the signing bonus versus minor league salary thing.

I remember being surprised how many okayish prospects get pretty big signing bonuses. However, they make bottom-barrel shit wages in the minors otherwise.

The problem is that these kids are bad at managing money, and once they blow that first headshot of money, they are fucked unless they make MLB.

I've thought perhaps a better system is to kill or severely reduce signing bonuses, and translate it into better minor league salaries for these players, and also to push up the minor league minimum salary so it all gets more equal.

Since the cream tends to rise to the top anyway, there's no reason to make minor league players rich, even if they're good. I think there should be a big reduction in allowed signing bonuses and much fairer salaries for all minor league players.

Load Metric
    I hope a 2022 regular baseball season happens. I love that there are no clocks needed and that the game can (awesomely) drag on forever while the pitcher fondles his ball and the batter adjusts his groin.

The amazing camera angles and commentary whenever a squirrel or cat runs onto the field is a textbook definition of excitement. Or better yet, the lol cuteness of bring your dog to the stadium day. Overpriced concessions and sunburns are as american as owing money for life saving medical procedures.

Then there are the players, thousands of underpaid minor leaguers grinding out a living, (quit crying about this aspect libtards, Michael Jordan did this and hes the GOAT) and of course hundred million dollar contracts for the best major leaguers, plus billion dollar white ownership. Its called balance.

All of those empty stadiums when the team(s) aren’t winning help solidify the longevity of this sport, the great american pastime.

Bronze
    Load Metric

GREAT IDEA !! There goes 2 billion in playoff revenue !!! lol

You think there is less interest in baseball now ... imagine your team being 80-60 and 10 games out in early September.

Load Metric
    2016... seems so long ago.

She has good form . I also remember 4 teams. I also don't like the man on 2nd in extra inning games.

Load Metric
    Actually, did I say 162 games?

I meant 156 games.

And dropping.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-deal-deadline
    Owners need min 140 I believe otherwise they’re in violation of their local tv contracts for games provided.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Apparently the cancellations aren't uniform regarding home/road either.

The Dodgers, for example, are losing 7 home games. The Giants still play all 81 home games.

Also, some teams are losing 5 games, some 6, some 7. So there will be an uneven number of games played.

This is going to be a mess, even if the bleeding stops here.

Thread Information