Thread: Real talk? Brake Job/Rotors

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Real talk? Brake Job/Rotors

Ok, I take one of the girls cars(Civic 07 Ex) for a brake job, left too long, they tell me it needs

new or machined rotors. I say WAT? The guy tells me machined is ok if all goes according to plan

but there's a 50/50 chance the end result will be a noticeable vibration compared to new rotors.

I choose the less expensive option because I've never heard of such a line and because I'm cheap.

Cut to today where I use "the car" to travel down island and fuck if I don't notice a telescoping type

vibration at certain speeds, even on perfectly smooth highway pavement.

Any one have experience with this? Is it my imagination? Should I pay to have

new rotors put in?

What's a rotor?

Load Metric
    no what the problem is is that whoever turned (machined) the rotors didnt have the rotor chucked up correctly in the brake lathe AND OR.. this could be from a loose wheel, out of round tire, improper ait psi,. the one thing to remember is this ALL brake rotors have a minimum thickness that you can cut too if your rotors are to that point then you have to get new ones. Being a A.S.E. certified technition i am willing to bet that all they have to to is turn (machine) the rotors again... Hope this helps

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nm river ratt View Post
    no what the problem is is that whoever turned (machined) the rotors didnt have the rotor chucked up correctly in the brake lathe AND OR.. this could be from a loose wheel, out of round tire, improper ait psi,. the one thing to remember is this ALL brake rotors have a minimum thickness that you can cut too if your rotors are to that point then you have to get new ones. Being a A.S.E. certified technition i am willing to bet that all they have to to is turn (machine) the rotors again... Hope this helps

thanks, being an 07 with few miles I wondered whether new rotors were necessary. It's probably my obsessive mind that has me concentrating on the ride. The tires are new but I was also thinking

balance. The experience comes at 90 to 98 km/hr or there abouts.

Load Metric
    A rotor is what mounts just behind your wheel, you have a brake pad on either side of your rotor that is held on with what is called a calaper when the brakes are aplied the hydrolic pressure pushes a piston in the calaper which squezes the pads together.( pitchur this a cd disk on a pencil a finger on each side of the cd now spin the cd and close your fingures on the cd the cd stops).... Now the vibration(pulsating) that you feel is 99 times out of 100 a rotor that is not true (meaning having a flat surface)> What causes rotors to warp is a number of things. under a 35 mph to a dead stop in normal conditions a brake rotor can reach teapratures up to if not exceeding 900 degrees and if you hit a water puddle with a brake rotor that is that hot its gonna warp. The car that is my avatar runs 8.40 in a 1/4 mile at 163 mph and is street leagal i check my brake temps after every pass my front brakes rotors usually see teps of 1950 to 2300 deg i replace my rotors about once every 2 months.... Sorry for the fucked up spelling and i hope this helps

Load Metric
    You should have just bought new rotors. New rotors for a Civic are not that expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    it all depends on driving habits 70 to 80% of all stoping is done with the front of the vehicle if you "ride" your brakes (meanning leave your foot on the brake pedal while driving) people do it unconchesly thay is constantly building heat in that rotor and pads for that mater and will cause premature falure. my truck is a 06 1 ton deisel with 300 k miles on it and its jus now ready for front brakes but i use the gears alot to slow down( i must add it is a standard transmition).

Load Metric
    depends prolly around 45 each.... plus markup

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A rotor is what mounts just behind your wheel, you have a brake pad on either side of your rotor that is held on with what is called a calaper when the brakes are aplied the hydrolic pressure pushes a piston in the calaper which squezes the pads together.( pitchur this a cd disk on a pencil a finger on each side of the cd now spin the cd and close your fingures on the cd the cd stops).... Now the vibration(pulsating) that you feel is 99 times out of 100 a rotor that is not true (meaning having a flat surface)> What causes rotors to warp is a number of things. under a 35 mph to a dead stop in normal conditions a brake rotor can reach teapratures up to if not exceeding 900 degrees and if you hit a water puddle with a brake rotor that is that hot its gonna warp. The car that is my avatar runs 8.40 in a 1/4 mile at 163 mph and is street leagal i check my brake temps after every pass my front brakes rotors usually see teps of 1950 to 2300 deg i replace my rotors about once every 2 months.... Sorry for the fucked up spelling and i hope this helps

so you're saying there's a decent chance having the rotors machined would or could cause this roughness/vibration.......

the steering wheel doesn't shimmy or anything, it's just not as smooth as

I would expect.

that's it, I'm going for new rotors.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    You should have just bought new rotors. New rotors for a Civic are not that expensive.

I know, the difference was not much, I'm a cheap fuck and I thought I was getting a line from the technician.

fml

Load Metric
    how many miles are on the car if you want i can post the entire service intervals for this or any vehicle newer than 89 i just ned to know the make , model, year, engine size,( if you dont know all that just give me the make model and the 8th and 10th digit of the vin)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    how many miles are on the car if you want i can post the entire service intervals for this or any vehicle newer than 89 i just ned to know the make , model, year, engine size,( if you dont know all that just give me the make model and the 8th and 10th digit of the vin)
    thank-you I appreciate this. I will do it in the morrow as it is dark and scary outside at the mo

Load Metric
    cool if you want just pm it to me i will get it to you glad i could help

Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Ok, I take one of the girls cars(Civic 07 Ex) for a brake job, left too long, they tell me it needs

new or machined rotors. I say WAT? The guy tells me machined is ok if all goes according to plan

but there's a 50/50 chance the end result will be a noticeable vibration compared to new rotors.

I choose the less expensive option because I've never heard of such a line and because I'm cheap.

Cut to today where I use "the car" to travel down island and fuck if I don't notice a telescoping type

new rotors put in?

What's a rotor?
    Are you a father, les?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

new rotors put in?

What's a rotor?
    Buy new rotors you cheap bastard. They are pathetically simple to install, you remove your wheels and see the big shiny silver disks? Those are your rotors. The brake pads clamp down on them, and save your life (more or less).

Only a few things on a car I am never cheap about, and by far brakes are at the top of the list. Always buy new rotors when yours wear down, machining them is asking for trouble you do not want, especially in your hostile climate.

I'd be happy to guide you through the removal process, about the hardest thing you will have to do is bleed your brake lines, but come on, I was doing this shit for my friends when I was 14 and couldn't even drive yet. It's one of the simplest do it yourself repairs you can possibly do.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    True new rotors could be cheaper than turning them...

But they also could be warped from the get go...

Most mechanics would measure them first, turn them if possible, but turn them "on car" with special lathe...

Front wheel drive cars should be done "on car"...

This I know as I worked on cars for over 40 years professionly...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    True new rotors could be cheaper than turning them...

But they also could be warped from the get go...

Most mechanics would measure them first, turn them if possible, but turn them "on car" with special lathe...

Front wheel drive cars should be done "on car"...

This I know as I worked on cars for over 40 years professionly...
    This rings true with me.......My specialty, so to speak, means that joe average knows nothing about what I'm preachin, yet the last thing

I will do is lie to a client, regardless...so in a way I'm a sucker to those who will......whatever

just seemed like a fucking lie to me and now I don't know what to think.

Thread Information