Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purina Beneful dog food alert!

Platinum
    Load Metric

Purina Beneful dog food alert!

I've briefly seen claims of Beneful being toxic and possibly killing dogs months back, dismissed as lol FB hoax. Worst case Purina will fix that shit real quick.

FF to this week, switched my two healthy dogs to Beneful. The dog food had a unusually strong dog food smell but whatever. The entire bag is almost gone, bag 2 on stand by. Yesterday 1 dog spewing greenish diarrhea w blood. This morning dog number 2 has a few piles a green slimy vomit all over the carpet.
    My dogs only consumed one 15.6 lb bag. Bag no 2 does not have the really strong dog food smell like bag 1. Taking it in for a refund tomorrow and switching back to their old brand. They should recover since it was a small amount of beneful.

Looked up Beneful and there's a shit load of owner complaints with similar symptoms to my dogs.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/beneful.html

and a class action lawsuit alleging 4000 dog deaths.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...but-is-it.html

Cliffs: Boycott Nestle/Purina. Avoid Beneful dog food.

Comments

herbertstemple: Hope your dog gets better.

Gordman: thanks for the info!

Load Metric
    My wife works for a company that mainly make animal pharmaceuticals but also does some pet food additives. This is a huge story in her industry. That lawsuit could venture into the billions

Her company is seeing record orders the past month though, which is awesome

Comments

DirtyErnie: straight truth here
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I saw a warning at the pet store where I buy my dog food today. I don't buy that stuff so I didn't pay too much attention to it. It didn't appear to be an official recall. Why buy that crap anyway? Buy food you can eat when the race riots start.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I saw a warning at the pet store where I buy my dog food today. I don't buy that stuff so I didn't pay too much attention to it. It didn't appear to be an official recall. Why buy that crap anyway? Buy food you can eat when the race riots start.

I'll go shoot a deer instead.

Purina's response is what's so fucked up. They're claiming everyone's full of shit or mistaken, see ya in court.

I would expect a decent company to express concern, reassure dog owners they're looking into these claims and maybe recall Beneful til they're sure.

Load Metric
    I got taken to the shed for a $40 bag of designer Dog Food for my Dachshund last week. At least he aint eating poison I guess.

Load Metric
    blue dog food is the only dog food you should be feeding your dog.
    http://bluebuffalo.com/

expensive yes, but if you love your dog surely he/she is worth a few extra bucks a month.

Comments

Gordman: never heard of blue buffalo. Thanks for the info

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post

expensive yes, but if you love your dog surely he/she is worth a few extra bucks a month.
    That's what I feed my dog. I've always looked at dog food the same way as coffee. Even when you buy the pricier stuff, it's still cheap as hell.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    My wife works for a company that mainly make animal pharmaceuticals but also does some pet food additives. This is a huge story in her industry. That lawsuit could venture into the billions

Pretty sure your wife eats Purina......

Comments

gauchojake: hofnig

SrslySirius: XD

Gordman: LOLOL HOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

I'll go shoot a deer instead.

Purina's response is what's so fucked up. They're claiming everyone's full of shit or mistaken, see ya in court.

I would expect a decent company to express concern, reassure dog owners they're looking into these claims and maybe recall Beneful til they're sure.
    The point being that I want my dogs to be edible when I have to eat them and not full of chinese chemicals. I'll hunt the deer too.

I agree about the response from Purina. I'm not sure there is a legal requirement of pet deaths before you need to initiate a recall. Unless your kids are eating dog food like every other kid does.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

That's what I feed my dog. I've always looked at dog food the same way as coffee. Even when you buy the pricier stuff, it's still cheap as hell.
    what about poor mittens?

Load Metric

I switched my dogs to Blue Buffalo a few years ago from Hills Science Diet. I believe those are the two that most vets recommend.

They're expensive, but I noticed that the biggest bag is a much better deal than the smaller bags. If you store it in a plastic bin with a lid that seals, it will stay good forever.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If my dogs make it, I'll have to check out that Blue Buffalo. Never even heard of it tbh.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

I switched my dogs to Blue Buffalo a few years ago from Hills Science Diet. I believe those are the two that most vets recommend.

They're expensive, but I noticed that the biggest bag is a much better deal than the smaller bags. If you store it in a plastic bin with a lid that seals, it will stay good forever.
    yep, that's exactly what we do.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Thanks for posting this info

I have 2 Golden Retrievers. Both of them I feed Purina products, and one of them I feed Purina Beneful Healthy Weight. (because the dog is slightly overweight)

Back in 2003 when I got my first dog, I was purely a novice, and more or less didnt know much about dog food, nor pay attention to it. I guess I thought most of the brands were basically the same for the most part. The guy I got my first dog from told me he was feeding the animals "Ol Roy" (walmarts gawd awful shit brand). He mentioned to me and showed me that the ingredients for ol roy and the comparable purina product were the same. At first I shrugged it off and was like OK, ill get some Ol Roy because it was of course lower cost. Before long I noticed that my puppy just wasnt acting himself (like a golden retriever puppy should) and decided to try out other dog foods. It didn't take long for us to notice a considerable difference in the dogs weight, activeness, etc. (goes to show you cant just look at ingredients obv)
    Around that same time period a friend of mine got a German Shepherd and, because he didn't have a ton of extra cash, he was also feeding it Ol Roy. I looked at that dog and it seriously looked like skin and bones. I told him to get rid of the Ol Death dog food. Within days the dog was gaining to a healthy weight and he actually looked normal again.

Load Metric
    I despise walmart and everything that greedy shit company stands for.Have you seen this?
    walmart ice cream sandwich doesn't melt after being in the sun for over an hour.Just imagine what that clear liquid at the end does to a persons insides
    Last edited by big dick; 02-26-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    I got taken to the shed for a $40 bag of designer Dog Food for my Dachshund last week. At least he aint eating poison I guess.
    My wife buys $75 a bag dog food. Granted it's a big bag & that's Canadian but that's still fuckin' expensive for dog food.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

Dog lover and Obama supporter, oxymoron!!

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Pretty sure your wife eats Purina......

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I also feed my dogs the purina shit and I buy 50 lb bags so I have had this current bag for a while. I had about 2 weeks worth left and my dogs have never been sick off it so I was going to ride the bag out and get them new stuff afterwards.

I wake up today and my dog is laying in his bed in the kitchen and I can see that he threw up over the side of the bed a little bit. It was probably unrelated but it made me dump the food quicker.

I went to petsmart and they said this stuff below would be good for my dogs and would be easy for them to adjust to. Low and behold when I put a half cup down for each of them they devoured it and were licking the bowls clean and wanting more. They never did this with purina obv

Banned
    Load Metric

Unhappy

My dad used to make a huge pot of chicken and rice once a week for dog food. Still cheaper than dry stuff at the store and the dogs fucking loved it. I don't know how nutritious that is for a dog, but they seemed healthy for years on that diet.

People have strange attitudes about feeding their dogs. Buying the cheapest shit possible even if the dog hates it, because who cares it's just a dog and it's good enough for them to live on. You could probably raise a child on gruel, water, and multivitamins, and eventually they would eat it because they have to survive, just like a dog. Seems like a shitty way to treat someone you love though.

Even if you buy the fanciest dog food on the market, it's still ridiculously cheap to feed a dog compared to a human. I've eaten on a $100/month budget, far more than the cost of feeding a dog of comparable weight, and that was not pleasant.

Thread Information