Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finance people: How do I get Canadian money wired to me and not get raped by exchange rates?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Finance people: How do I get Canadian money wired to me and not get raped by exchange rates?

Bovada is now using a Canadian payment processor to send wires.

The problem is that I get RAPED by the difference in exchange rates, because I never get the "interbank" exchange rate. I always get a reduced rate, which tends to be 2.5% or so lower.

So my $9500 wires become something like $9260.

This is adding up and it's pissing me off.

I also need to receive the wires in a business name, as they will not send them to Todd Witteles (because I'm a "known poker player").

So here are my questions:

1) Will a forex service work for this? Something like Oanda?

2) Is it possible for third parties in other countries to wire to my business account on the forex service? So, for example, can I set up a forex account in my business' name, and then have Bovada's shady processor send Canadian funds to it?

3) Will I be able to then withdraw the money to my US bank account without incurring a substantial fee or coversion rate hit? (A small fee is okay.)

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Again, I will need the forex account in my business' name (I do have a TIN), to where it can receive wires addressed to that business.

TY

Load Metric
    Let me think about that.

But if you have Forex .... Oil is about to drill $47. Wait for couple couple red candles and buy the bounce...

I am feeling $46.7x

WTI

Edit: missed a beautiful trade by 2-3 cents. (Low set in @ $46.81 ---> $47.34 and counting.).

Pip pip
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-07-2015 at 01:17 AM.

Load Metric
    DanDruff Enterprises doesn't have to account for the receipt of $9500 ?

Edit. Taxes/income
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-07-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Can't you write off the fees u get charged as a business expense?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Can't you write off the fees u get charged as a business expense?
    Yes, but that doesn't fully recoup them, or even come close.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Send the cash to me. No fees. Just a favour.

disclaimer. Hash coins may be part of the trade.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The problem is that I get RAPED by the difference in exchange rates, because I never get the "interbank" exchange rate. I always get a reduced rate, which tends to be 2.5% or so lower.

I also need to receive the wires in a business name, as they will not send them to Todd Witteles (because I'm a "known poker player").

2) Is it possible for third parties in other countries to wire to my business account on the forex service? So, for example, can I set up a forex account in my business' name, and then have Bovada's shady processor send Canadian funds to it?

3) Will I be able to then withdraw the money to my US bank account without incurring a substantial fee or coversion rate hit? (A small fee is okay.)

Again, I will need the forex account in my business' name (I do have a TIN), to where it can receive wires addressed to that business.

TY
    I have run into this same issue when dealing with euros and quite frankly have never found a good solution. I have heard HSBC/Citibank allows you to open a mufti currency account . That may be worth investigating.

Of course another option is to go up to Canada and try to open up an account and take in the money that way., Obv huge pain in the ass, and I am not sure the regulations on being a non citizen and opening a business account. I know it is easy to open up a personal account in Canada though as a non citizen.
    Last edited by cmoney; 01-07-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Ship funds to me

I will ship for 1% fee rather than bank rape.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Let me think about that.

But if you have Forex .... Oil is about to drill $47. Wait for couple couple red candles and buy the bounce...

I am feeling $46.7x

WTI

Edit: missed a beautiful trade by 2-3 cents. (Low set in @ $46.81 ---> $47.34 and counting.).

Pip pip
    Burning the midnight oil watching oil?

Load Metric
    Whoops, see below...
    Last edited by Forum Wars; 01-07-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Load Metric
    Here is an interesting and legitimate method for currency exchange which perhaps the Forumship has not ever heard of. I was rather proud of myself to "invent" this method a decade or so ago...only to find it had already been devised and named:

Norbert's Gambit

http://www.finiki.org/wiki/Norbert%27s_Gambit

Basically, you need a US$ denominated and CA$ denominated account at the same brokerage. Ability to short sell stocks in the brokerage side where you want the currency to ultimately end up makes it more painless/self serve. You end up getting the perfect <arbitrage-controlled rate of exchange> - two brokerage commissions and maybe a bit of spread. So maybe a cost of 2 x $6.95? $14 sure hella-beats the $240 cost in Druff's example. If you're going from US$ to CA$ it's a bonus because sometimes interlisted stocks (which Norbert's Gambit relies on) are very very slightly higher priced in on Canadian stock markets (home team advantage for these Canadian stocks, right?)..giving a benefit when they are sold on that side.

Canadian Interlisted Stocks which have the same CUSIP # making them the same security on the Candian and US stock markets (maybe a bit out of date):

http://www.stockhouse.com/blogs/note...stock-exchange

Again, this requires that you have a CA$ denominated brokerage account. Assume Druff already has a US$ one.

Load Metric
    I have had issues with credit cards in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Nobert's Gambit is the cheapest but can be a pain in the ass and has some hurdles involved.

1. You need a Canadian Bank Account

2. You need to be able to get money from Bovada to that Canadian bank account for free (not sure the current withdrawal options for Canadians at the moment), and what hoops Bovada might make you jump through to verify that account.

3. You need a Canadian Brokerage account that allows for both Canadian and US accounts (TD Ameritrade used to do this, there are others)

4. You need to be able to get your money onto the Brokerage account for free (EFT in Canada).

5. You then buy a Stock that trades on both US and Canadian exchanges that has lots of volume and low Bid/Ask spreads. You buy on the Canada market and then instantly sell it on the US Market. Also, different brokerages might have different procedures for getting this to work (although this method is well known and well studied in Finance classes, so I am sure there are videos out there on this topic)

6. You then have to withdrawal the money from your Brokerage account into your US bank account.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

TY
    I have run into this same issue when dealing with euros and quite frankly have never found a good solution. I have heard HSBC/Citibank allows you to open a mufti currency account . That may be worth investigating.

Of course another option is to go up to Canada and try to open up an account and take in the money that way., Obv huge pain in the ass, and I am not sure the regulations on being a non citizen and opening a business account. I know it is easy to open up a personal account in Canada though as a non citizen.
    I heard this is one of the best ways to go as you will get raped less on the currency charges.

Load Metric
    $9500 to $9260 not exactly getting raped. More like somebody is pinching your ass then going on their way.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Let me think about that.

I am feeling $46.7x

WTI

Pip pip
    Burning the midnight oil watching oil?
    Oil $46.81 ---> $48.71. Thousands of shekels missed over 2-3 cents entry price.

Fewer people trade in the wee hours but I have been moved to guest bedroom. Lol
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-07-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Load Metric
    For the love of God, please explain why you are not using Bitcoin & 5Dimes?

You can shove $25k back & forth.

The only caveat (there always is one or two) they use Bitstamp (currently down) for pricing on receipt & settlement is 1-2 hours (buy in an uptrend if possible)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    Nobert's Gambit is the cheapest but can be a pain in the ass and has some hurdles involved.

2. You need to be able to get money from Bovada to that Canadian bank account for free (not sure the current withdrawal options for Canadians at the moment), and what hoops Bovada might make you jump through to verify that account.
    Canadians are playing on Bodog and Americans on Bovada skin so you run into a problem right there. Even if someone was able to get an account in each country they don't have p2p transfers on Bodog/Bovada.

To get money from Bovada to a Canadian bank account just isn't possible.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

Canadians are playing on Bodog and Americans on Bovada skin so you run into a problem right there. Even if someone was able to get an account in each country they don't have p2p transfers on Bodog/Bovada.

To get money from Bovada to a Canadian bank account just isn't possible.
    I just looked into it a bit this afternoon and you are correct that Canadians can't sign up to bovada.

However based on Druff's notes where they won't send to his name due to being a "name player" I'm guessing they have some leeway over where they will send wires. They strike me as trying to avoid some legal issues but at the same time they are a US facing poker room...they definitely don't play by the rules.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    For the love of God, please explain why you are not using Bitcoin & 5Dimes?

You can shove $25k back & forth.

The only caveat (there always is one or two) they use Bitstamp (currently down) for pricing on receipt & settlement is 1-2 hours (buy in an uptrend if possible)
    Because poker games are scarce

Thread Information