Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man made climate change deniers check in here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    What happened to the world running out of fossil fuels as has been predicted since I was a kid? Won't that help?

I heard a weird thing that I can't find the backup story for, but it was some years ago when someone was doing a book tour from the Reagan administration. The guy basically laid out that during the Carter years when the oil had all dried up and there were lines for gas, that the military actually had the technology to find oil fields under the sea and since it was classified, they couldn't tell anyone that they knew where the oil was. When Reagan got in he asked the military about finding a solution and they copped to knowing how to find it and then obviously they had a come to Jesus moment and got with the oil companies to find oil for them. I wish I could find the story, or even remember who's book that was.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    I heard a weird thing that I can't find the backup story for
    that's a shocker
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    I heard a weird thing that I can't find the backup story for
    that's a shocker
    Generally I just post articles, so I guess it would be. But that you don't know the story, is not surprising at all.

Load Metric
    When you find yourself at the intersection of completely believing the scientific consensus and still not giving a fuck, I wonder if it's A- I don't have kids, don't think it will cut much into my last 40 B- I'm a sociopath unconcerned for the future of mankind beyond my grave C- think it's already fucked, and not worth losing a penny over the unpreventable D - look around and wonder what exactly great we are clinging to on this old rock

It's one of these, or a combination of all of them. I'd fix it if it was effortless, but find myself in the I got mine camp that I used to abhor, but now am a part of I guess.

I'm in that Rust Cohle mindset of walking hand in hand into extinction isn't such a bad idea. The music sucks anyway.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    When you find yourself at the intersection of completely believing the scientific consensus and still not giving a fuck, I wonder if it's A- I don't have kids, don't think it will cut much into my last 40 B- I'm a sociopath unconcerned for the future of mankind beyond my grave C- think it's already fucked, and not worth losing a penny over the unpreventable D - look around and wonder what exactly great we are clinging to on this old rock

It's one of these, or a combination of all of them. I'd fix it if it was effortless, but find myself in the I got mine camp that I used to abhor, but now am a part of I guess.

I'm in that Rust Cohle mindset of walking hand in hand into extinction isn't such a bad idea. The music sucks anyway.
    Hate to disappoint but the seas aren't going to boil until we are all long in the grave (despite what al gore tells you). So i guess you're stuck here with the rest of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    What happened to the world running out of fossil fuels as has been predicted since I was a kid? Won't that help?

I heard a weird thing that I can't find the backup story for, but it was some years ago when someone was doing a book tour from the Reagan administration. The guy basically laid out that during the Carter years when the oil had all dried up and there were lines for gas, that the military actually had the technology to find oil fields under the sea and since it was classified, they couldn't tell anyone that they knew where the oil was. When Reagan got in he asked the military about finding a solution and they copped to knowing how to find it and then obviously they had a come to Jesus moment and got with the oil companies to find oil for them. I wish I could find the story, or even remember who's book that was.
    I believe Peak Oil is more of a pressing concern than climate change. It takes 12 years of full-time human manual labor to match the stored energy in one barrel of oil. We will all truly get fucked seven ways to Sunday without adequate fossil fuels.

Running out of oil is not the immediate problem, though. It is the decline of EROEI (energy returned on energy invested) as fossil fuels become harder and harder to extract.
    Last edited by Benford; 07-01-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Benford View Post
    We will all truly get fucked seven ways to Sunday without adequate fossil fuels.
    Then how is Canada generating 60% of their power with renewable energy instead of fossil fuels?

As far as worldwide pollution goes the main problem is China.
    16 of the world's 20 most polluted cities are in China.
    About 30% of the pollution in San Francisco comes from China.

The air in China is almost unbreathable.
    Breathing the air in China is the equivalent of smoking 20 cigarettes a day.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Then how is Canada generating 60% of their power with renewable energy instead of fossil fuels?
    Can you show me the source for that so I can see under what context that is being said?

Also, the center of Canada's energy universe is Fort McMurray, Alberta. The U.S. is growing more and more dependent on oil sands to make up for the terminal decline in Saudi oil fields. (Also fracking the Bakken in North Dakota)

There's still plenty of oil, but it's getting harder & harder to extract. (Lower EROEI = higher oil prices = decline of civilization)

China has tons of coal & almost no oil. You're seeing the result of that.

Just so you know...I only say that fossil fuel depletion is a far more urgent problem for mankind than climate change as a matter of my own opinion.

Reference & Tech Articles, etc. : The Oil Drum
    Last edited by Benford; 07-01-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: EDIT: Error correction: Should have read "Lower EROEI" instead of "Higher"

Load Metric
    Can you show me the source for that so I can see under what context that is being said?

Also, the center of Canada's energy universe is Fort McMurray, Alberta. The U.S. is growing more and more dependent on oil sands to make up for the terminal decline in Saudi oil fields. (Also fracking the Bakken in North Dakota)

There's still plenty of oil, but it's getting harder & harder to extract. (Higher EROEI = higher oil prices = decline of civilization)

China has tons of coal & almost no oil. You're seeing the result of that.

Just so you know...I only say that fossil fuel depletion is a far more urgent problem for mankind than climate change as a matter of my own opinion.

Reference & Tech Articles, etc. : The Oil Drum
    I see it as an overpopulation issue.

Load Metric
    I see it as an overpopulation issue.
    More people gobble up more resources, so your point is well taken. We do need lots of people in the world to innovate & collaborate on making new technologies, though, so it's a double-edged sword.

Load Metric

There's still plenty of oil, but it's getting harder & harder to extract. (Higher EROEI = higher oil prices = decline of civilization)
    Canada has substantial resources that can be used to make renewable energy, such as water, wind, biomass, solar, geothermal, and ocean energy.

Moving water is the biggest, most important energy source in Canada, providing about 60% of Canada's electricity generation.

Canada is the third largest producer of hydroelectricity in the world.

The tar oil sands in Alberta, Canada should be closed down and the Keystone XL pipeline should never be built.

The U.S. is not dependent on oil sands from Canada, the oil companies want to send the dirty tar sands oil to refineries in Texas, then ship it overseas. None of that tar sands oil would even be used in the U.S.

Using more fossil fuels = destruction of civilization

Load Metric
    Canada has substantial resources that can be used to make renewable energy, such as water, wind, biomass, solar, geothermal, and ocean energy.

Moving water is the biggest, most important energy source in Canada, providing about 60% of Canada's electricity generation.

The tar oil sands in Alberta, Canada should be closed down and the Keystone XL pipeline should never be built.

The U.S. is not dependent on oil sands from Canada, the oil companies want to send the dirty tar sands oil to refineries in Texas, then ship it overseas. None of that tar sands oil would even be used in the U.S.

Is this article lying to us?

Load Metric

Dude I love distilling corn and turning it in to whiskey.. I mean ethanol. The issue is that it drives up the cost of a food staple because of governement subsidies. It's fun to say 'don't do this' but you kinda have to have a backup plan that can create the same energy for the same cost.

Load Metric
    This confuses the shit out of me. Mark Serreze says that the Arctic ice is receding while simultaneously the Antarctic ice is growing due to Global Warming(not climate change). NASA scientist Walt Meier then goes on to explain how ice measurements are not a true measure of climate change in either direction. WTF?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/03/go...lobal-warming/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    This confuses the shit out of me. Mark Serreze says that the Arctic ice is receding while simultaneously the Antarctic ice is growing due to Global Warming(not climate change). NASA scientist Walt Meier then goes on to explain how ice measurements are not a true measure of climate change in either direction. WTF?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/03/go...lobal-warming/

The last episode of Cosmos was pretty much all about climate change and more than a few of the things you're referencing were brought up, you should check it out. In fact, the whole series should be mandatory viewing for everyone breathing.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Some study by UT Austin says the antarctic ice is shrinking due to sub sea volcanic activity and not man made global warming...

some other study says it's primarily due to man made global warming...

etc..etc...

Load Metric

Load Metric

Watched 'through the wormhole' the other day and it was on gravity and how baffled they are by it. A funny retort to NdT would be 'So you must believe in God because you can't explain the other two'. Funny how that works, 'believe'. He knows what side butters his bread, just sayin'.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Welcome back to FPS_Russia after a long time off the forum, btw.
    Name:  fiddlefox006[1]_1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  93.4 KB

Comments

duped_samaritan: made me look
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

woah did BCR just bolt to team idiot?

You got your's camp, right up there with Adolf, Stalin and any other idiot born into this world
    FU
    Last edited by limitles; 10-08-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Thread Information