Thread: New blog: The $25,000 MS Paint Picture

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

New blog: The $25,000 MS Paint Picture

The FTC had a contest last year, to come up with a solution to stop unwanted and unauthorized telemarketing calls.

The winner was to be awarded $50,000. They ended up with a "tie", so each winner was awarded $25,000.

Here was one of the winners:

This isn't a joke. That MS Paint disaster was the winner, and even worse, it doesn't even solve the actual problem.

Read more about it here: http://toddwitteles.net/todd-witteles/?p=1

Load Metric
    Yes its a shitty picture but it doesn't include the real answer.

The FTC and ChallengePost will have the right to publicly display on the challenge website the name, text description, image(s), and video (if submitted) included with your submission. The technical proposal included with your submission will be viewable only by the FTC, ChallengePost, and the judges. The FTC and ChallengePost will also be allowed to publicize your name on the challenge website and elsewhere in connection with the challenge, during the competition and for 36 months after its conclusion. For more information on publicity rights, please see the Official Rules.

Is there anyway we can see a link to what was really submitted?

Banned
    Load Metric

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Onion Talks are the best

Gordman: LOLOL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

The FTC and ChallengePost will have the right to publicly display on the challenge website the name, text description, image(s), and video (if submitted) included with your submission. The technical proposal included with your submission will be viewable only by the FTC, ChallengePost, and the judges. The FTC and ChallengePost will also be allowed to publicize your name on the challenge website and elsewhere in connection with the challenge, during the competition and for 36 months after its conclusion. For more information on publicity rights, please see the Official Rules.

Did you read the blog I wrote about it? I mentioned that the FTC hides the details from the public.

However, there is enough detail in the description of that one (and in the now-private video of the second one) to understand them enough to know that they won't work.

The whole challenge was ridiculous because it asked people to solve and unsolvable problem. You cannot block telemarketers from calling as long as they can falsify Caller ID.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Did you read the blog I wrote about it? I mentioned that the FTC hides the details from the public.

However, there is enough detail in the description of that one (and in the now-private video of the second one) to understand them enough to know that they won't work.

The whole challenge was ridiculous because it asked people to solve and unsolvable problem. You cannot block telemarketers from calling as long as they can falsify Caller ID.
    Yes.

There are many techniques and companies that exist and market products in an attempt to identify caller id spoofing to various degrees. Saying it is impossible is not a good counterpoint. In fairness you can't really argue against the point because you have no idea what protocol is being implemented here (since they disclose nothing).

Load Metric
    Despite the thread controversy about why or what the FTC is hiding, I do think Druff's new technology blog is a promising new addition. Look forward to future entries.

I am guessing the FTC sought to keep the design secret for intellectual property protection (as least from the FTC's point of view). Just a guess.....

Load Metric
    If you phone supports simul-ring, this service works pretty well.
    https://www.nomorobo.com/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by propoker View Post
    If you phone supports simul-ring, this service works pretty well.
    https://www.nomorobo.com/

Uhh.... that was one of the "winning solutions" mentioned in my blog.

Do you use Nomorobo?

It forwards (actually simultaneously rings) NoMoRobo, which picks up the call before you hear it ring, and then only forwards it to you if it's "legitimate". The legitimacy is deduced by asking the caller to enter certain digits by touch-tone, kind of like a phone captcha.

The problems:

1) If the caller doesn't speak English, isn't very good at understanding phone prompts (think your 90 year old grandmother), or is calling from a phone without working touch tones (this happens more often than you think), the caller will get blocked. The caller can call back and try again, but will face the same problems. For example, several legitimate business-related calls are dialed by computer, and the representative does not have the ability to use touch tones.

2) If NoMoRobo becomes widely used, Robocallers will catch on, and adapt their systems to the also enter the captcha. It's the same reason forums still get spam, even when a captcha is employed.

3) Robocallers can also start spoofing "whitelisted" numbers, such as those by local utility companies or schools.

4) NoMoRobo keeps a list of all phone numbers calling you. Can you trust them to keep this private? What if hackers compromise their system and steal this data?

5) It's a pain in the ass for people who normally call you with blocked caller ID.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Yes.

There are many techniques and companies that exist and market products in an attempt to identify caller id spoofing to various degrees. Saying it is impossible is not a good counterpoint. In fairness you can't really argue against the point because you have no idea what protocol is being implemented here (since they disclose nothing).
    I would like to see this "technology", because I can't figure out how it would work.

Caller ID is generated by the source placing the call. That's where the big flaw lies. There is no authentication process. When your phone rings, it displays the caller ID info given to it, and your local phone company (whether landline or cell) simply passes it along to you. When passing it along, your local phone company does not know whether it's real or fake, and has no way to tell. (On a side note, when a call is marked "Private", it is still passing along Caller ID information, but your local carrier is agreeing to honor the private marking and block it. However, if you process your own incoming calls, such as a VOIP setup, you can see right through the caller ID block.)

Now, does that mean I could call up and make terrorist threats using a phone caller ID and get away with it?

No. Because there is a way to track down the actual identity of the caller, but it involves a lot of time, expense, and effort. No automated process exists to get this done, nor would it be trivial to build one.

Load Metric
    Yes, I use it. Your information has inaccuracies. It only picks up robo numbers on its blacklists. It doesn't to pick up any other calls. Since it is simul-ring - I actually get 1 ring + caller ID on the call it picks up. I started using it was I was getting the Microsoft scam calls every single day and it grabbed those right off.

You can log into your account and enter any spam dialers that they missed or any numbers that they pick up that they shouldn't have (hasn't happened).

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wow, why didn't I think of this method. It's so easy!

On that note, I am confident I just figured out the solution to online poker cheating!

Here it is:

Name:  poker problem solved.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  41.9 KB

Where's my money bitches??

Comments

Dan Druff: rofl

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by propoker View Post
    Yes, I use it. Your information has inaccuracies. It only picks up robo numbers on its blacklists. It doesn't to pick up any other calls. Since it is simul-ring - I actually get 1 ring + caller ID on the call it picks up. I started using it was I was getting the Microsoft scam calls every single day and it grabbed those right off.

You can log into your account and enter any spam dialers that they missed or any numbers that they pick up that they shouldn't have (hasn't happened).
    Well, I'm glad it stopped your Microsoft scam calls. I don't really need this because I've only gotten like 3 of those lifetime.

This might be a useful thing today, but as I said, if it ends up in widespread use, they will simply start randomly spoofing (or even spoofing commonly whitelisted numbers) and this tool will be rendered useless.

Also I really don't like the idea of them seeing every number that calls me.

Load Metric
    I've been getting a lot of calls about cash gifting.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Is it a scam? Can I do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    BS. I don't believe you.

Cash gifting is so 2009.

The real money is in business credit guidance. $50,000 business credit GUARANTEED for anyone with a pulse.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    BS. I don't believe you.

Cash gifting is so 2009.

The real money is in business credit guidance. $50,000 business credit GUARANTEED for anyone with a pulse.
    Step 1: Get $50k business credit
    Step 2: Register for 5 $10k WSOP events
    Step 3: ....
    Step 4: Profit!
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Thread Information