Thread: Jerry Bussto

Load Metric

Jerry Bussto

Lakers owner and poker lover, Jerry Buss, dies at age 80:
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...,5024446.story

Rest in peace
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Lakers owner and poker lover, Jerry Buss, dies at age 80:
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...,5024446.story

Rest in peace
    Sad news. I always liked him.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    RIP

Play him out keyboard cat...

Load Metric
    I will be burning in hell for laughing at the title of this thread.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Heard his liver was hooped.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Heard his liver was hooped.
    Interesting that you of all people would make light of that.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    PBKC wants their fucking pen back.

Load Metric
    The guy lived it up, that is for sure, and he looked like he was always happy, but the saddest behind the scenes, or whatever, I ever saw was the one on him and his family.
    They all work together, and put up this front, but there is just some serious dysfunction going on there,

He is proof money can buy you pussy, can buy you material items, can buy you fame, but can't buy you happiness.

And we're left with Jim Buss, damn.

RIP

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    The guy lived it up, that is for sure, and he looked like he was always happy, but the saddest behind the scenes, or whatever, I ever saw was the one on him and his family.
    They all work together, and put up this front, but there is just some serious dysfunction going on there,

He is proof money can buy you pussy, can buy you material items, can buy you fame, but can't buy you happiness.
    What exactly are you talking about?

Load Metric
    Looks like Dwight Howard is more than just a coach killer.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some interesting facts of Jerry Buss:

- He was truly an American success story. He started out as an engineer at TRW, saved his money, noticed the rapidly-escalating southern California real estate market, and bought apartment buildings in the '60s. As they rapidly appreciated in value, he became a rich man and saw another great opportunity -- to purchase the Lakers, the Forum (where they played), and the LA Kings (yes, that LA Kings) in 1979, for just $67.5 million. He also got a large ranch in the deal. He later sold the Kings. Obviously he made a fortune from this purchase.

- He really wanted to be Hugh Hefner. He admired Hefner's lifestyle and his constant companionship of beautiful young women. He tried to befriend Hefner, but Hef never cared much for him, so the two never became friends. Buss went on to live his life in a similar fashion to Hefner, anyway.

- He became obsessed with poker later in life. He preferred limit over NL. This is probably due to the fact that his interest in poker went back many years before NL cash was played very much. He was a semi-regular in the Commerce 400-800 game for awhile, and I played with him a few times. He wasn't a bad player, but was weak-tight. The weak-tight thing especially surprised me because he didn't need the money. Business partner Frank Mariani also played, and was more of a maniac/chaser type.

- Buss didn't step aside from active operations in the Lakers because of age or health reasons. He handed the reins over to son Jim Buss because he was bored with the team. He was actually seen playing minor poker tournaments on days of major Lakers playoff games, even when they were at home. When confronted about it by the media, he made up a story that "I'm bad luck for the team if I watch".

- His daughter, Jeannie, might have been influenced by her father's love for much younger women, as she has been with the much older Phil Jackson for a long time.

- From what I observed when Buss would bring his girlfriends to Commerce, he seemed to be into young Hispanic women.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    RIP. From a basketball standpoint at least he got to see the Lakers in several championships despite collapsing in recent years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    RIP. From a basketball standpoint at least he got to see the Lakers in several championships despite collapsing in recent years.
    One problem here is that Jim Buss sucks, but it's inevitable in many cases that the lesser-skilled kids eventually take over for the parents' business.

Look at what happened to the Binion family.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    One problem here is that Jim Buss sucks, but it's inevitable in many cases that the lesser-skilled kids eventually take over for the parents' business.

Look at what happened to the Binion family.
    True unless he decides to sell it which does happen in some families. I don't know if he is one to do that but just saying when people come into new fortunes who knows.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Some interesting facts of Jerry Buss:

- He was truly an American success story. He started out as an engineer at TRW, saved his money, noticed the rapidly-escalating southern California real estate market, and bought apartment buildings in the '60s. As they rapidly appreciated in value, he became a rich man and saw another great opportunity -- to purchase the Lakers, the Forum (where they played), and the LA Kings (yes, that LA Kings) in 1979, for just $67.5 million. He also got a large ranch in the deal. He later sold the Kings. Obviously he made a fortune from this purchase.

- He really wanted to be Hugh Hefner. He admired Hefner's lifestyle and his constant companionship of beautiful young women. He tried to befriend Hefner, but Hef never cared much for him, so the two never became friends. Buss went on to live his life in a similar fashion to Hefner, anyway.

- He became obsessed with poker later in life. He preferred limit over NL. This is probably due to the fact that his interest in poker went back many years before NL cash was played very much. He was a semi-regular in the Commerce 400-800 game for awhile, and I played with him a few times. He wasn't a bad player, but was weak-tight. The weak-tight thing especially surprised me because he didn't need the money. Business partner Frank Mariani also played, and was more of a maniac/chaser type.

- Buss didn't step aside from active operations in the Lakers because of age or health reasons. He handed the reins over to son Jim Buss because he was bored with the team. He was actually seen playing minor poker tournaments on days of major Lakers playoff games, even when they were at home. When confronted about it by the media, he made up a story that "I'm bad luck for the team if I watch".

- His daughter, Jeannie, might have been influenced by her father's love for much younger women, as she has been with the much older Phil Jackson for a long time.

- From what I observed when Buss would bring his girlfriends to Commerce, he seemed to be into young Hispanic women.
    The woman I always saw him with was an Asian in her early 20s. Probably had a few different ones.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    PBKC wants their fucking pen back.
    They're souvenir pens with the PBKC logo. You're allowed to take them. That's your rakeback for making Day 2.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    brb you guys

have to go tweet what a good guy jerry was

#RIP

Load Metric
    WSOP is going to name an event after him.

Lakers owner Jerry Buss was such a force in the high-stakes poker world ... the World Series of Poker wants to honor his memory by naming a championship tournament after him, TMZ has learned.

A rep for WSOP tells TMZ, "At the appropriate time, we will seek to ask the family to honor [Jerry's] legacy by possibly naming our WSOP Seven Card Stud Championship after him or awarding the victor a special perpetual trophy in his honor."

Buss has been a fixture in the high-stakes poker circuit for years -- placing high in several national tournaments since the 90s ... including 3rd at the 1991 WSOP 7-card stud event.

The WSOP rep adds, "We’re definitely going to miss seeing him ... Even when the Lakers were playing in the NBA Finals, you could often find Dr. Buss playing his favorite game -- Seven Card Stud -- at the World Series of Poker."

Buss died early this morning at an L.A. hospital following a battle with cancer. He was 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I have a friend who is an old time poker dealer. Before limit HE became the dominant game and before Commerce surplanted the Bike as the place to play, he used to go to the Bike after every Laker game and play in the white chip single draw lowball game there, and later when lowball died out he switched to limit HE and Omaha.

I guess initially he was very bad, and the games were built around him, but over the years he gradually improved to the point like Druff said he became a decent weak tight player.

When all the big action went to Commerce, he would occasionally go to Commerce and play in bigger games (ie 400-800), but just as often he would go to the Bike or HP and play a $100 tourney or 20-40 HE. I played with him once in a 40-80 Omaha at HP, which was the biggest game they had at the time, and yes he had 2 young women with him, although I cannot remember their ethnicity.

Thread Information