Thread: Fount "Adware.gameplaylabs" While Scanning Malwarebytes- Help needed

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Fount "Adware.gameplaylabs" While Scanning Malwarebytes- Help needed

I used to run AVG free + Malware Bytes for security (both free)

I was advised by someone more tech savvy than me to run MSE instead of those and I have and I have never found anything with MSE which is good but also could be bad if it didn't detect this.

Tonight I decided to run Malwarebytes for the first time in a long time and I find this

Files Detected: 1
    C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\VidSaver15_20 120508.exe (Adware.GamePlayLabs) -> No action taken.

I removed it through Malwarebytes and rescanned it showed up again and tried to remove again and it said to restart. I did that and I am scanning again.

Anyone know what this is or ever run into this?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If it won't delete it's probably loaded in memory so boot to safe mode and delete the final manually then re-scan and see if it shows up.

Here is a forum post from a user having that. You might want to download the free tools the computer nerd helping the guy posts links to.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic471440.html

Load Metric
    Adware.GamePlayLabs is an advertising program which monitors your browsing habits, and then floods you with various commercial ads according to the content of the websites you have visited. Even though it might seem that it is a harmless program which only wants to inform you about something you might be interested in, but little by little Adware.GamePlayLabs might breach your privacy, as it can store various types of data. That way even your passwords might be collected by this adware and you certainly do not wish for that.

Once Adware.GamePlayLabs is installed in your computer, it performs certain changes in your system, the most obvious of which is the presence of certain files. For example, the program drops BHO.dll and Uninstall.exe file in the following directories: %Application Data%\GamePlayLabs Plugin\BHO.dll and
    %Application Data%\GamePlayLabs Plugin\Uninstall.exe. The adware also modifies you registry key entries and it allows it load automatically every time you turn on your computer.

If you think that Adware.GamePlayLabs affects only those users who are browsing with the Internet Explorer, then you are wrong. This program adds itself as a Firefox extension, and it is constantly there whenever you browse the Internet. The data collected is used to flood you with various target advertising. Adware.GamePlayLabs is an add-on for the internet browsers and it usually displays ads of romantic kind. What is more, this program does not install itself in its own. The user agrees to install it when he reads (or doesn’t) the License Agreement. As a matter of fact, the data-collecting nature of this program is mentioned in the Agreement as well. It says:

NOTE: THE PLUGIN MAY COLLECT OR STORE INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL WEB SERVICES, LLC (“LICENSOR”, “WE” OR “US”) ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VISIT AND YOUR ACTIVITY ON THOSE PAGES, SUCH AS IMPRESSIONS AND CLICKS. IN SOME CASES, INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE PLUGIN MAY BE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE, AND INFORMATION (INCLUDING INFORMATION FROM OR ABOUT PAGES OF SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITES YOU VISIT) MAY BE USED OR SHARED WITH THIRD PARTIES FOR PURPOSES OF DISPLAYING TARGETED ADVERTISEMENTS TO YOU.

So in a sense Adware.GamePlayLabs informs you of its nature in advance and if a user allows this annoying program to enter his computer, he is partially to blame as well. However, if you happened to have installed this program, you need to get rid of it, because in the long run it might be detrimental for your computer. Remove Adware.GamePlayLabs with a reliable antimalware application and protect your computer against similar threats, and the most importantly – do not install programs of dubious nature, because they might be dangerous threats that are really hard to exterminate.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    If it won't delete it's probably loaded in memory so boot to safe mode and delete the final manually then re-scan and see if it shows up.

Here is a forum post from a user having that. You might want to download the free tools the computer nerd helping the guy posts links to.

I think I will pass because I restarted and did a quick scan and it didnt show up. I am doing another full scan and if it shows I may use those tools. But how do I know those arent viruses?

What is the best security to use?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

I think I will pass because I restarted and did a quick scan and it didnt show up. I am doing another full scan and if it shows I may use those tools. But how do I know those arent viruses?

Common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Common sense.
    Agreed

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I've used several of them programs in the past they aren't viruses most are designed by computer guys. You should scan with this program too it helped me get rid of some issues I was having. This is the anti-rootkit version of malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

Load Metric

i read an ama on reddit from one of the developers of malwarebytes, from what i recall he said the quick scan and the full scan do the exact same thing

kind of like the shut-door button on an elevator, it's just there to make you feel good

Load Metric
    avast
    malware bytes

Banned
    Load Metric
    Paging 408Mike...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Paging 408Mike...

Name:  tumblr_l0ibtoWicd1qzd1a4o1_500.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  52.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

i read an ama on reddit from one of the developers of malwarebytes, from what i recall he said the quick scan and the full scan do the exact same thing

kind of like the shut-door button on an elevator, it's just there to make you feel good
    The shut door button on an elevator isn't just something to make you feel good.

Many elevators will just sit there (even after pressing a floor button) for several seconds before moving. When you press the shut door button, it immediately closes the doors and gets going.

I actually feel stressed out when a shut door button doesn't exist.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

The shut door button on an elevator isn't just something to make you feel good.

Many elevators will just sit there (even after pressing a floor button) for several seconds before moving. When you press the shut door button, it immediately closes the doors and gets going.

I actually feel stressed out when a shut door button doesn't exist.
    the internet got me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo...evator_buttons

edit numero dos:
    finding a lot of conflicting info on this

too many to link, just google elevator close button
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 01-24-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Common sense.
    Agreed
    Same with dating, and the use of a condom as well as periodic std screening is part of the common sense defense.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    looks like malwarebytes destroyed it

Bronze
    Load Metric
    looks like malwarebytes destroyed it

Thread Information