Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leftists offended by beans

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By coincidence, I happen to start buying Goya garbanzos in April. They were good, so I kept buying.

Now I'm even happier with my decision.

Fuck these speech suppression boycotts.

Load Metric
    This thread is a sticky? Yikes...

Lol "speech suppression boycotts." How dare people decide which companies they give their money to?

Its mind boggling for someone to be so explicitly for free speech, but against one of the most common and powerful versions of court-verified, protected by the First Amendment, expressions of free speech.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Druff confusions actions by private citizens with constitutional protections against oppressive government actions only when folks on the left are doing the private citizen actions. Go figure!
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 07-16-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Lol "speech suppression boycotts." How dare people decide which companies they give their money to?

Its mind boggling for someone to be so explicitly for free speech, but against one of the most common and powerful versions of court-verified, protected by the First Amendment, expressions of free speech.
    I was wondering why this is a sticky too.

I think they should change their brand name to GOYIM.

I have mixed feelings about boycotts and advertisers leaving shows. People can choose to be associated, or not associated, with whomever they wish. Boycotts have helped correct serious injustices like South African apartheid and agricultural labor abuses (Cesar Chavez and the grapes). On the other hand, it's gone way out of control with the entire economy being balkanized into opposing camps where this company is pro-X and another company is anti-X and you have to choose which, and it says something about you, or at least you run the risk of offending someone. It happens to people on the left too, Bill Maher was cancelled by advertisers jumping ship after his totally bland comment about the 9/11 hijackers and some on the right have tried to boycott companies for speaking out for LGBT or BLM. Even NASCAR and the NFL are taking heat from the right, talk about eating your own.

This is also why I am not on any social media. What a fucking wasteland. Charles Barkley put it perfectly: "Social media is where losers go to feel important."

Comments

dwai: GOYIM rep

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    it's a sticky because you leftist are offended by beans, you guys seem salty about it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    it's a sticky because you leftist are offended by beans, you guys seem salty about it
    What I'm offended about is that lima beans are really arrogant pricks, they think they're nut bean but seriously they can't be any higher than 5th.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Accidentally stickied this thread

Load Metric
    Hormell Chili is the tits, I can't have it

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Lets see, original estimates were 2.2 million deaths, so based on Jimmys dimwittery Trump has actually saved 2 million people.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

It is speech suppression.

An older guy on Facebook pointed out to me that I'm probably too young to remember the grape boycott of the 1960s. Indeed, I wasn't born yet in the '60s, but I do know about the grape boycott.

He stated that a boycott of grapes back then helped improve working conditions for those in the industry, and that the boycott was the only means of protest which worked.

I responded that I was glad he brought that up. The grape boycott of 1965-70 was an example of a justified and reasonable boycott. People were unhappy about the working conditions for those in the grapes industry. The industry wasn't listening to the gripes. People got together and said, "Okay, either improve conditions for these workers, or we're not buying grapes."

After five years, it worked.

But guess what? That wasn't about speech. That wasn't about putting consequences upon people for having certain mainstream political views, or for liking the current President. That wasn't about intimidating others into being afraid to express their honest political views.

It was a boycott directed at an industry for reasons of changing specific operational matters within the industry. That boycott made complete sense. It was basically saying, "Treat your workers better, or we don't buy your product." I support that, and indeed that boycott was very American.

The Goya boycott is different. It's aimed at curbing speech. It's sending a message that anyone who is on the political right is going to suffer massive economic consequences for it, unless they keep quiet. It's cancel culture at work. "You better not have political opinions we don't like, or support politicians we dislike, or we will ruin you."

Is it legal? Sure.

Is it horrible for democracy? You bet.

Democracy can only exist when people do not fear openly expressing their political views, and where healthy debate takes place. It can only exist when the marketplace of ideas is fully open, and then the people decide which side seems more correct.

It cannot exist if people are made to believe there are consequences for engaging in political debate, or for being honest regarding which politicians they support or like.

Now, it doesn't bother me if you choose to stop buying Goya products because you dislike the CEO's support of Trump. It's your money, and you should spend it how you want. Even if your reason sucks for why you don't buy a product, I fully support your right to buy (or not buy) things of your choosing.

However, an organized or social-media-mob boycott of a company is a different story. That's no longer a personal choice of where you spend your cash. That's a clear message being sent, and it's one of speech suppression.

Notice that the right doesn't do this. The right doesn't try to prevent left-wing figures from speaking at college campuses. The right does not try to get people fired for having left-wing views. The right doesn't have social media mob boycotts of companies expressing support for left-wing politicians or ideas.

This is speech suppression. It's sending a message.

If I had a regular job, do you think I would feel comfortable expressing my right-wing political opinion on here and on Twitter? I would definitely NOT feel comfortable, and would have to forego doing that, for the sake of my career. And that's sad, because I don't post anything which is bigoted or extreme. But I'd really have to be afraid of the cancel mob, and thus couldn't express my true political views.

That would be my story, and I'm a nobody. For major executives, athletes, and celebrities, it's far worse. If they step slightly out of line, the cancel mob comes for them.

I will always be vehemently opposed to any form of this.

Comments

dwai: all of this

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    By coincidence, I happen to start buying Goya garbanzos in April. They were good, so I kept buying.

Now I go Trader Joes for garbanzo beans. But to be fair I don't think I've had Goya.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric

Chris Cuomo melting down over beans

Load Metric

It is speech suppression.

An older guy on Facebook pointed out to me that I'm probably too young to remember the grape boycott of the 1960s. Indeed, I wasn't born yet in the '60s, but I do know about the grape boycott.

He stated that a boycott of grapes back then helped improve working conditions for those in the industry, and that the boycott was the only means of protest which worked.

I responded that I was glad he brought that up. The grape boycott of 1965-70 was an example of a justified and reasonable boycott. People were unhappy about the working conditions for those in the grapes industry. The industry wasn't listening to the gripes. People got together and said, "Okay, either improve conditions for these workers, or we're not buying grapes."

After five years, it worked.

But guess what? This wasn't about speech. This wasn't about putting consequences upon people for having certain mainstream political views, or for liking the current President. This wasn't about intimidating others into being afraid to express their honest political views.

This was a boycott directed at an industry for reasons of changing specific operational matters within the industry. That boycott made complete sense. It was basically saying, "Treat your workers better, or we don't buy your product." I support that, and indeed that boycott was very American.

The Goya boycott is different. It's aimed at curbing speech. It's sending a message that anyone who is on the political right is going to suffer massive economic consequences for it, unless they keep quiet. It's cancel culture at work. "You better not have political opinions we don't like, or support politicians we dislike, or we will ruin you."

Is it legal? Sure.

Is it horrible for democracy? You bet.

Democracy can only exist when people do not fear openly expressing their political views, and where healthy debate takes place. It can only exist when the marketplace of ideas is fully open, and then the people decide which side seems more correct.

It cannot exist if people are made to believe there are consequences for engaging in political debate, or for being honest regarding which politicians they support or like.

Now, it doesn't bother me if you choose to stop buying Goya products because you dislike the CEO's support of Trump. It's your money, and you should spend it how you want. Even if your reason sucks for why you don't buy a product, I fully support your right to buy (or not buy) things of your choosing.

However, an organized or social-media-mob boycott of a company is a different story. That's no longer a personal choice of where you spend your cash. That's a clear message being sent, and it's one of speech suppression.

Notice that the right doesn't do this. The right doesn't try to prevent left-wing figures from speaking at college campuses. The right does not try to get people fired for having left-wing views. The right doesn't have social media mob boycotts of companies expressing support for left-wing politicians or ideas.

This is speech suppression. It's sending a message.

If I had a regular job, do you think I would feel comfortable expressing my right-wing political opinion on here and on Twitter? I would definitely NOT feel comfortable, and would have to forego doing that, for the sake of my career. And that's sad, because I don't post anything which is bigoted or extreme. But I'd really have to be afraid of the cancel mob, and thus couldn't express my true political views.

That would be my story, and I'm a nobody. For major executives, athletes, and celebrities, it's far worse. If they step slightly out of line, the cancel mob comes for them.

I will always be vehemently opposed to any form of this.
    To me the same thing goes with Chick-Fil-A. As long as I don't get whacked with a bible while stepping foot or driving through.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    lol @ ivanka posing with a can,..and trump posing with the huge part of the line in the oval office.

can't blame trump for doing this though. many visible ppeps hate him in addtion to the msmedia, gotz to take advantage of this situation

goya black beans are top, top. they have the chefs best medallion as well. they taste awesome cooked with onions and a few things over white rice
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Chick-Fil-A boycott failed because the public hadn't embraced cancel culture yet.

Even though it was just a few years ago, at the time most people thought the Chick-Fil-A boycott was silly, and they wouldn't take part in it. At the same time, conservatives chose to go to Chick-Fil-A even more, in opposition to the boycott. The net result was increased sales for Chick-Fil-A.

But that was before cancel culture really ramped up into overdrive. Nowadays, there's much more widespread acceptance of cancelling people/companies for "offensive" politics or views, so this Goya thing might actually hurt them.

Either way, the intent here sucks.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    140k dead and this asshole is smiling ear to ear while giving the thumbs up

what a piece of shit

Load Metric

I don’t know about evebody else, but I buy stuff because I like it and it’s at a good price, not because of the political beliefs of the maker. FYI, the price of lawn jockeys has plummeted. People literally giving them away.

Comments

dwai: shut up boomer

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

I don’t know about evebody else, but I buy stuff because I like it and it’s at a good price, not because of the political beliefs of the maker. FYI, the price of lawn jockeys has plummeted. People literally giving them away.
    this has nothing to do with political beliefs, it has to do with the left trying to cancel Goya because the CEO happened to say nice things about trump. And it backfiring fabulously in their faces and twitter protecting leftist snowflakes from seeing bean memes and getting offended.

Comments

Jayjami: The right does the exact same thing

Load Metric
    NO JUSTICE NO BEANS

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Hormell Chili is the tits, I can't have it
    Gonna channel Druff and tell a personal story related to this post...

Back in the 90s in graduate school, when I was trying some online dating sites, I once chatted with a woman from the Midwest who worked at a Hormel meat packing plant. She was the one who initiated contact, and I wondered why she reached out to me on the site, as my profile most likely didn’t appeal to a typical meatpacking plant worker, which pretty much turned out to be the case. After we chatted love online for maybe an hour, I let her down gently and told her that it was too far for me to consider starting a serious relationship.

In any event, before I moved on from the conversation, she told me that she hated living and working there and wanted to move away and go to college to study business. So perhaps she thought that was enough to explore being compatible beyond mere physical attraction. Or maybe she was prescient and intuited (unbeknownst to even her at the time) that I would eventually become a trucker and have more in common with her given that I have picked up a number of refrigerated loads over the years, some even directly from meat packing plants, that contain meat and meat foodstuffs.

Which has me wondering... Is she still available to chat?...
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information