Thread: Interesting perspective about practice of medicine: Sometimes less is more

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Interesting perspective about practice of medicine: Sometimes less is more

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/opinio...kes/index.html

I totally agree with this.

Many Americans are over-tested and over-treated.

This article doesn't touch on one of the major reasons for this: Our current health care system provides great financial incentive for this, as expensive (and often easy-to-perform) tests are the most profitable area of medicine. It is to a doctor's financial benefit to prescribe as many tests as possible, even ones he does not perform himself. Many unethical doctors perform completely unnecessary tests simply to make money, and there are even scammer doctors who bill insurance companies and Medicare for tests that were never performed! (The latter is especially common for senior patients.)

My brother, who is a doctor, actually told me that current medical diagnostic equipment is so advanced that it sometimes allows doctors to "see too much". That is, often they end up seeing harmless or temporary conditions that can falsely appear to be serious problems, leading to unnecessary surgery/treatment, and sometimes complications or death.

People should also be aware that every surgery and medication comes with a risk. If you feel that your body can heal on its own, it's best to stay away from any form of treatment. Many doctors push surgery/treatment because, again, they want money.

I'm not saying to avoid all treatment and surgery, but you should always do your own research and decide if you really need it.

Load Metric
    some people live frugally for sixty years only to spend their entire life savings on cancer treatments that might extend their lives for 9 months more than not paying for the treatment

if i was > 60, i'd much rather my family inherit that money

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here are some examples from my own life in recent years:

In January, 2008, I had a very scary (but what I later found out to be harmless) eye condition called an "ocular migraine". Its symptoms have a lot in common with the very dangerous closed-angle glaucoma. I went to the doctor, who agreed it was more likely an ocular migraine, but wanted to do a laser treatment on my eye "just in case". After thinking about it and consulting another doctor, I realized that it was almost certain that I had the harmless ocular migraine, and there was no reason to do the laser treatment. I was correct, and 4 1/2 years later, everything's fine.

In February, 2008, I fell while skiing and both fractured and dislocated my shoulder. While it was very painful and caused years of recurring pain, I had a very honest orthopedist who told me that surgery would likely bring on more problems than it would cure. I chose to forego the surgery and did physical therapy instead. I reinjured it a year later, again skiing, and again chose not to have surgery. It took two more years, but it got all better, and I am convinced I made the right decision.

In October, 2010, just hours before Benjamin was born, I came down with shingles. I was given Valtrex, better known as a herpes medication, in order to speed up recovery and lower the chance of permanent nerve damage. This was an important thing to do, so I took the medication without question, and indeed it stopped the pain within a week and I had no nerve damage.

Load Metric
    biotech will blow google out of the water

DONT EVER DOUBT ME

SINGULARITY

Load Metric
    I don't even take Advil or ibuprofen when I get headaches. Never have, never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Name:  all-about-the-benjamins.gif
Views: 261
Size:  72.4 KB

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In February, 2008, I fell while skiing and both fractured and dislocated my shoulder. While it was very painful and caused years of recurring pain, I had a very honest orthopedist who told me that surgery would likely bring on more problems than it would cure. I chose to forego the surgery and did physical therapy instead. I reinjured it a year later, again skiing, and again chose not to have surgery. It took two more years, but it got all better, and I am convinced I made the right decision.
    You should probably consider hanging up the skis Druff.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Name:  2312_125705630864.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  40.5 KB
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    For some reason I dont really picture Druff as being the coordinated athletic type (disclaimer: that in no way is any statement about me or my athletic abilities).
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/opinio...kes/index.html

I totally agree with this.

Many Americans are over-tested and over-treated.

This article doesn't touch on one of the major reasons for this: Our current health care system provides great financial incentive for this, as expensive (and often easy-to-perform) tests are the most profitable area of medicine. It is to a doctor's financial benefit to prescribe as many tests as possible, even ones he does not perform himself. Many unethical doctors perform completely unnecessary tests simply to make money, and there are even scammer doctors who bill insurance companies and Medicare for tests that were never performed! (The latter is especially common for senior patients.)

My brother, who is a doctor, actually told me that current medical diagnostic equipment is so advanced that it sometimes allows doctors to "see too much". That is, often they end up seeing harmless or temporary conditions that can falsely appear to be serious problems, leading to unnecessary surgery/treatment, and sometimes complications or death.

People should also be aware that every surgery and medication comes with a risk. If you feel that your body can heal on its own, it's best to stay away from any form of treatment. Many doctors push surgery/treatment because, again, they want money.

I'm not saying to avoid all treatment and surgery, but you should always do your own research and decide if you really need it.
    I completely agree with this. I'm an accountant at a mental health center and am always shocked at the level/dosage of medications the psychiatrists prescribe for depression/anxiety; the efficacy of many are dubious.

I would advise anybody with mental health issues to thoroughly research whatever it is that you've been prescribed, get second opinions etc. These are powerful drugs that imo are prescribed way too loosely.

I'm not necessarily opposed to them but don't see them as effective long-term treatment.

Load Metric
    Many docters have simply become affiliates for the pharma companies and the medical testing industry. Every script they write is one script closer to their next all expense paid vacation.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Well 2 years ago my 78 y.o. grandfather was given 3 or 4 new heart stents bringing the total to 7. He went in the Heart center feeling great, very active. The procedure caused a massive Hematoma in his leg. He was in the hospital a week after the procedure in unbelievably poor condition. Took another month for him to relearn how to walk and all that. He developed a mortal hate/ distrust of doctors and quit taking every medication. High blood pressure medication, blood thinners, cholesterol pills, pills to stop clots forming on the stents and more.

He had a shitload of medications and he quit them all at once and hasn't taken 1 pill since and he's felt great and been back to his active self, 2 plus years. "Knock on wood" Now it turns out that a employee may of infected thousands with Hepatitis C.

I concerned about his halt of any and all medications, but he appears to be doing better than my grandmother who takes a shitload of RX pills daily and freaks if she thinks a dose was skipped. He feels great, she's always cold/uncomfortable from the blood thinners.

At the time of his complete pill taking halt, the entire family tried to talk him out of that decision, we all felt that he was making a life ending error. 2 plus years, so far so good, "knock on wood" .

Dunno, time will tell.

Did the stents save/extend his life or was the procedure nothing more than a down payment on his next aircraft? We'll never know.
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 08-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Many docters have simply become affiliates for the pharma companies and the medical testing industry. Every script they write is one script closer to their next all expense paid vacation.
    Not true.

Sarbanes–Oxley pretty much put an end to the free dinners and trips.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    What's really silly is that they are allowed to advertise prescription drugs on TV. Those are supposed to be drugs that a doctor tells you that you need based on certain factors. You don't just go in and ask for some because you like the commercial.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I think the real lesson to be learned from OP is that RON IS GOD.

Load Metric
    My wife works in the medical field and i refuse to go and see a doctor. When i was a child I got Ecoli and it was not diagnosed properly. I lost over half my body wieght and almost died. After recovery it was determined that my thyroid was messed up and I was put on Meds. THyroid meds require 6 months to determine if they are at the correct level and after 6 years my thyroid was not under control. I said FUCK IT and quit taking the meds. I hit a growth spurt and 15 and grew nearly 6 inches in height and lost nearly 120 lbs. I have smoked for almost 25 years and have recently attempted to quit using chantax which totally FUCKED me up. When I broke my toes 8 months ago my wife wanted me to see a doc. i did not go and will not go. A lot of people die in hospitals and there always seems to be some kind of shit floating around that kills people when they went in for a routine procedure. Eat unhealthy and enjoy life was my great greandmas motto and she lived to be 104 by eating eggs fried in bacon fat drinking 6 beers a day and taking an asprine with said beer

Gold
    Load Metric
    im having my first colonoscoly tomorrow, so fucking pumped

Load Metric
    Read the story and the first comment referenced what I was thinking. The Dr. missing something through not preforming a test may get his ass sued off. Caught the measles when I was 6 and the Dr. made a house call. Can't do that now because of law suits.

These extra procedures cost people and the govt ungodly amounts of money every year. Many Drs. will abuse this, but they have a built in reason and I don't think there is any way to fix the problem.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Oh and Monday morning my "highly professional" long time dentist turned into a slimy used salesman right before my very eyes. I should of known something was up when I noticed he was growing a mustache "probably first" at 50 plus years old. Looked so cheesy

To much typing to get into it but yeah, here's whjat my dentist turned into.
    Name:  bueller_03.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  23.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

For some reason I dont really picture Druff as being the coordinated athletic type (disclaimer: that in no way is any statement about me or my athletic abilities).
    For some reason, you are wrong.

I am not a great athlete, and never have been. However, I wasn't a bad athlete, either. I was average.

I'm sure there has probably been some decline with age, but I actually skied every year from 1981 to 2007, and never had a single injury, despite frequenting many advanced and expert runs.

The injury in 2008 was on an intermediate run where I fell at a bad angle and landed on my shoulder. The injury in 2009 happened simply because it hadn't gotten all the way better yet.

I believe it's completely healed now (the pain is gone). If I injure it a third time, I will quit skiing for good.

Many people ski as late as their 80s, by the way. I would never do that because of the dire consequence of breaking bones at that age, but I have many years left to ski, provided I don't have the problem of repeatedly re-injuring my shoulder.

Thread Information