Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
Wish there a way to test this in the field because I would bet any sum of money that at least 2/3 of people wouldn't actually give the wallet back to someone who just scammed them, if no one was watching.
Do you find no value at all in being the better person?

This thread isn't about how you treat your enemies, it's how you think about yourself, and what your conscience feels comfortable letting to get away with.

What kind of person are you? That's what this thread really asks.
Not understanding how doing a favor for a scammer makes me a "better person".

It would make me a gullible person and a person without pride. Not a better person.

The "be the better person" argument sounds good until you really think about it. It basically means that, no matter what someone does to you, you're somehow not a good human being if you seek any form of retribution because the "better person" looks the other way and doesn't seek revenge or to punish them. That's BS. Wanting to put a consequence upon someone who harmed you doesn't make you a bad person.

So let's say a guy scams me in the manner described, I complain about it (so the guy knows I caught it), and then the next day, I return his dropped wallet anyway. What message does it send him? Do you think a person like that will have their faith in humanity restored, and become a better person themselves? No. Instead, it will reinforce to them that they can victimize people both without consequence AND their victims will actually help them when needed! It sends a terrible message that bad behavior is rewarded as much as good behavior. No thanks.

I can understand that some people simply do not want to steal, even from thieves who stole from them. Fine. But to actually HELP the thief get something back that he dropped is mind-boggling, and is pretty much the dictionary definition of a chump.