Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
This whole idea of the “opposition” is what is tearing America apart. Political ideas should be evaluated on their merits, not on who is espousing them. If Adolph Hitler was an advocate for clean public restrooms, I would agree with him.
This sounds good, until you really think about it.

While it would be ideal if each party put aside partisan politics and evaluated each idea on its merits, we are far past that point for this to realistically work anytime soon.

It's become where it's one set of ideas/morals versus another set of ideals/morals.

You need to pick which side is more in line with your opinions, and then support that side. The problem with supporting certain "other side" politicians is that they're under tremendous pressure to not oppose their own party, so even if that person is more aligned with your views than the other candidate, it's still a mistake to vote for them if it's against your own party.

I don't like this situation, but it's naive to think it can be changed without a major upheaval of our political system, which ain't happening right now.

I didn't vote for Trump in 2016, and wrote in a protest candidate, but that was only because I was voting in California, where I knew the outcome already.

Had I been in anything resembling a swing state, I would have voted Trump, despite my many issues with him, because I'm voting more for Republican rule than the man himself.

Unfortunately, this super-partisan thinking has also infected the average citizen on both sides. Republicans are shamed for ever agreeing with anything Democrats say (I'm talking about regular people, not politicians), and vice-versa.

Hence the reason for this thread.

I was interested to see how many PFA liberals were willing to concede certain traditionally Republican points of view, and how many PFA conservatives were willing to concede certain Democratic points of view.