Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had to euthanize my dog today

Load Metric

I had to euthanize my dog today

14-year old Labrador named Molly who developed a really bad skin condition over the last month or so. Was giving her daily steroids/antibiotics for the past several weeks but had to make the call to the vet today after she wouldn't get up in the morning.

Hardest thing I have ever had to do, halfway through a bottle of chardonnay that was gifted to me years ago and feeling miserable.

Hug your dog and enjoy the good times. I wouldn't wish having to put your dog to sleep on my worst enemy.

Name:  goths.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  73.5 KB

Load Metric
    Sorry man. I know it's cliche', but just think about the good things and how good of a life you provided for her. I know it doesn't help, but 14 years is a good, long life for a lab.

Load Metric
    Yeah, I think thee average lifespan for a Lab is 9-12 years. She slowed down a bit after 10 but only really lost her 'mojo' a few months ago.

Load Metric

I dread the day in the future when I will have to do this. Sorry to hear man.

Load Metric
    My condolences. I know only too well how hard that is.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Yup, the hardest thing you'll ever do is put a pet down.

I put my cat down last year of 19 years (I was only 18 at the time).

Sorry for your loss bro, you did the right thing though.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Bill burr has a great bit on this, his girl adopted a pit while he was on the road and when he got back he found out and immediately hated it. After like a day he became aware that some day this pit is going to die and he has to mentally prepare himself for that day. He's like I fell in love with it I was spooning the dog and I look over at my girl and she's like for fuck sakes you love the dog more than me! He responded saying well you're not at the door shaking your ass every time I come home!

Load Metric
    I'm sorry. That sucks, dude.

That's the bad part of owning dogs- they just don't live as long as us. But like Vegas said, 14 is a very good run for a big dog.

Load Metric
    My condolences. I remember putting my dog down a few years back. I fed him a steak for his last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    That sucks. I dread the day, and my dog is only 9 months old. It's weird to think I'll have her when I'm married with kids.

I know it's soon, but do you plan on getting another? I know that helps, from experience, at least.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    That sucks. I dread the day, and my dog is only 9 months old. It's weird to think I'll have her when I'm married with kids.

I know it's soon, but do you plan on getting another? I know that helps, from experience, at least.
    Yes, definitely. I'll probably start looking to adopt in the next couple of weeks or so. Dogs can kind of be a burden but they just make life so much more enjoyable overall imo.

That being said, feel free to plug the merits of your favorite breed. I loved my lab but they're kind of big, they shed, I'm sort of allergic even with meds and I'm probably looking for something smaller/more manageable.

I really like beagles and cockers but am open to suggestions. Nothing smaller than a beagle, though.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Yes, definitely. I'll probably start looking to adopt in the next couple of weeks or so. Dogs can kind of be a burden but they just make life so much more enjoyable overall imo.

That being said, feel free to plug the merits of your favorite breed. I loved my lab but they're kind of big, they shed, I'm sort of allergic even with meds and I'm probably looking for something smaller/more manageable.

I really like beagles and cockers but am open to suggestions. Nothing smaller than a beagle, though.

I highly suggest an English Springer Spaniel.

Great dogs. Great family dogs. Great energy. Just a great dog all around.

Banned
    Load Metric
    My sister has beagles and they are dreadfully hard to train, if you're serious about beagles prepare for that!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    My sister has beagles and they are dreadfully hard to train, if you're serious about beagles prepare for that!
    I would adopt one that ideally would be trained but have been around them all of my life and have never found them to be difficult at all. They take forever to walk because they sniff everything but other than that are awesome.

Load Metric
    You have my deepest sympathy dude. I have no idea how I would get through putting either of my dogs down, it's got to be TOUGH.

Time heals all wounds, believe that.

Remember the good times always, and keep pressing forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    You have my deepest sympathy dude. I have no idea how I would get through putting either of my dogs down, it's got to be TOUGH.

Time heals all wounds, believe that.

Remember the good times always, and keep pressing forward.
    Please clarify, do you mean the dog who stole your cake mix or the dog who laughs at you while you sleep outside?

Load Metric
    14-year old Labrador named Molly who developed a really bad skin condition over the last month or so. Was giving her daily steroids/antibiotics for the past several weeks but had to make the call to the vet today after she wouldn't get up in the morning.

Hardest thing I have ever had to do, halfway through a bottle of chardonnay that was gifted to me years ago and feeling miserable.

Hug your dog and enjoy the good times. I wouldn't wish having to put your dog to sleep on my worst enemy.

Sorry to hear that. My parents bought a puppy (black lab) when I was like a year old. When I was 4 or 5 I used to jump on it's back and try and ride it around the yard. We had to put it down when I was 18. Never an easy thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Sorry to hear that. My parents bought a puppy (black lab) when I was like a year old. When I was 4 or 5 I used to jump on it's back and try and ride it around the yard. We had to put it down when I was 18. Never an easy thing to do.
    I never had to do that. I never grew up with dogs. My dad had a couple dogs when I was in my late teens. He still has them, but I don't feel any strong bond with them. I guess it comes either when your parents get one at your young age or when you get your own. At this point now that I have my own I couldn't imagine.

Load Metric

Sorry buddy. If anyone has lost a Lab, the death is almost the same as losing a human close to you. I know that may sound slily but it is true.

I am already looking into cloning my lab once he passes. I am more curious than anything to see how a clone turns out given the environment he would be raised in would be almost identical.

Load Metric

Boxer may be a good fit. They are smart and dont shed . I have a boxer and lab and I would say their intelligence is about equal.

Thread Information