Thread: Florida moving to their own time zone?

Load Metric

Florida moving to their own time zone?

Imagine Florida ringing in the New Years one hour before the ball drops in Times Square. That is what's been proposed, as Florida lawmakers passed a bill to permanently enact DST, and it's now on the Governor's desk. I think it's appropriate as Florida is basically already it's own country. Doesn't make sense that they'd share the same time zone as the rest of the east coast.

They're actually doing the opposite of Arizona, which exempts itself from DST. By making DST permanent they would then be in Atlantic Standard Time year-round.

I fully support this, and hope it serves as a model for the whole country. Why should the sun set at 4:30pm in the winter? I could care less if it's dark in the morning. That's when I'm sleeping.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ime-year-round
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Imagine Florida ringing in the New Years one hour before the ball drops in Times Square. That is what's been proposed, as Florida lawmakers passed a bill to permanently enact DST, and it's now on the Governor's desk. I think it's appropriate as Florida is basically already it's own country. Doesn't make sense that they'd share the same time zone as the rest of the east coast.

They're actually doing the opposite of Arizona, which exempts itself from DST. By making DST permanent they would then be in Atlantic Standard Time year-round.

I fully support this, and hope it serves as a model for the whole country. Why should the sun set at 4:30pm in the winter? I could care less if it's dark in the morning. That's when I'm sleeping.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ime-year-round
    doing away with DST would be a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    time is a flawed construct designed to quantify decay for an insignificant and ultimately forgettable biped virus.

miss me with that gay shit.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    time is a flawed construct designed to quantify decay for an insignificant and ultimately forgettable biped virus.

miss me with that gay shit.
    we know DST effect your sleeping but does it hinder ur fishing schedule
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    i mean, personally, i know a lot of people will wake up before dawn to fish because 'the morning hatch' and all that but 'morning wood' is an erection one gets when they wake up so miss me with that gay shit.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We need double daylight savings from May 15-August 15

That's what everyone is missing.

Load Metric
    Honestly, with my sleep schedule I'm on board just moving our clocks forward 4 more hours
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The reason Double Daylight Savings is so great is that it has little downside, other than the hassle of an extra two moves of the clock.

The sun rises so early in most of the country between May 15 and August 15 that it's essentially a wasted hour. We could move that hour to where there could be daylight for the entire waking hours for many people.

Even somewhere like Pittsburgh (which has a late sunrise due to being on the eastern time zone, yet fairly far west for that), their sunrise on August 15 is still 6:30am, meaning it would be 7:30am for double daylight savings. That's still 10 minutes earlier than their normal sunrise on December 21 (7:40am).

With double daylight savings, the sun would set between 9 and 10pm during the late spring and early summer.

On the flip side, I think year round daylight savings time for most of the country is actually a mistake, because the day would start too late in many areas. Florida can somewhat get away with it because they are so far south.

I would much prefer:

November 15-March 14: Standard
    March 15-May 14: Daylight Savings
    May 15-August 14: Double Daylight Savings
    August 15-November 14: Daylight Savings

Load Metric
    If you think this is dumb, check out Australia's DST timezones.

Name:  CYEjvtPVAAAK4Mr.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  59.5 KB

Load Metric
    I like being in the same EST as New York and Mass but Florida is so far west of the north east that it makes sense that we are not.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    I like being in the same EST as New York and Mass but Florida is so far west of the north east that it makes sense that we are not.
    I must be looking at something wrong here. From what it sounds like Florida wants to be in a time zone(Atlantic) east of New York but they are a considerable distance West so I don't see how this makes sense at all.

Comments

snowtracks: Hockey always makes sense
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I must be looking at something wrong here. From what it sounds like Florida wants to be in a time zone(Atlantic) east of New York but they are a considerable distance West so I don't see how this makes sense at all.
    It makes more sense than Arizona being earlier than California.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

Floridians don't give two flying shits about where they are located on the map.

Read plop's OP. He would rather have sunlight later in the evening in Florida. Again he doesn't care if this change is only for Florida and causes massive problems/issues/etc.

Load Metric
    It won't make Florida any less fucked up.

Comments

smiflorida: truth
    HILLARY WON

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    This is a good idea. If they had changed it earliar the school would have been empty when Nick Cruz got there.

Thread Information