Yeah. I have 2 roommates (it's chicago, we can't help it).

One is very responsible. Has 2 jobs. He takes care of Layla my dog while I'm away. I even compensate him for it, as if he's a dog sitter.

The other? Well, he's been off the rails since our friend died last year in the bus crash (the year anni was in june) and has been just drinking himself into oblivion. Now, usually, I just let people do what they wanna do as long as they aren't shooting junk or smoking meth and pay their rent on time.

And he pays his rent on time. But the drinking has been heavy lately. This kid has lived here a year and I've never seen him drink anything but water, coffee, and old style.

So, I was just in minneapolis at Canterbury. I'm there last night and at 11 pm I get a phone call from my upstairs neighbor.

"Hello?"
"Hey do you know your dog is up here? she's been crying for a long time and she's peed everywhere. she's really scared."

"what? are you fucking kidding me? Can you go see if my doors are locked?"

I thought the place got robbed. but on a sunday? the lords day? no way. So she calls me back to tell me all the doors are locked, and that she knocked and no one is there.

Huh? So how did my dog get out? It wasn't long before I realized.

We live on the first floor. My roommates smoke cigarettes outside on the steps, and when this bozo came in, he either was blacked out or close to it (my neighbor mentioned she saw him a few hours before and he didn't look good) and somehow didn't see my dog run out into the building. Thankfully, he had the front door closed.

So, now she's calling me back demanding I send someone. I tell her that i'm 400 miles away, and that i'm trying to find my other roommate so he can get there. Of course, he's working (he's a bouncer at a 4 am bar).

So we send someone else over, and they get here, and I tell them that there's a window open in the front and to go in and see what's up. For all I know, this kid is dead.

Dead? I wished (before i realized that if he was dead in my apartment it'd be hard to find another roommate ) He's alive. passed out. drunk. Some how locked my dog out of my apartment for 4 hours.

So, I drive all night bak from minneapolis and I just walked in, and he's already packing his shit. So I start fucking railing into him. I'm using every fucking bit of my energy not to knock this clown out.

He's not on any lease, and has no deposit. I can tell him to fuck off anytime I want. and I just did.

Now this motherfucker has 48 hours to show me he's checking into a rehab, or attended an AA meeting, or I change the locks. If he does that and shows me, within 48 hours, he can have the full 10 days. I'm leaving for vegas and I don't want him in my house anymore.

PFA:

Am I being too harsh by giving this kid 10 days (with a 48 hour contingency.)

this is my dog we're talking about here. she could've been lost or hurt if she got out of the building.