Thread: I need tech suppot #1: freeing up HD space

Load Metric

I need tech suppot #1: freeing up HD space

I'm on Win 7 Pro. My C drive is from the early days of solid state drives and is only 100 GB. I've been running on little free space for a while, but now when I boot up the OS tells me I have about 1.7 GB free, and then after I start a few apps (usually outlook, chrome, word) that drops to showing 0 bytes free and I get warnings about no space free and everything starts acting funny (apps crash, even windows explorer). I realize apps use some HD space while running but I didn't think they needed 1.7 GB.

I compressed the drive a while back, did disk cleanup already, and I've uninstalled just about everything I can and I've shifted all the storage for things like iTunes media and pics etc over to other drives, leaving only OS and installed programs on C.

There are a few other things I would like to uninstall like Internet Explorer. But it doesn't appear in my list of programs and features on my control panel. Why not? I tried to go into the C drive and just delete the program directly but it won't let me. It says I have to uninstall properly.

TIA for any tips for freeing up some space.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    I'm on Win 7 Pro. My C drive is from the early days of solid state drives and is only 100 GB. I've been running on little free space for a while, but now when I boot up the OS tells me I have about 1.7 GB free, and then after I start a few apps (usually outlook, chrome, word) that drops to showing 0 bytes free and I get warnings about no space free and everything starts acting funny (apps crash, even windows explorer). I realize apps use some HD space while running but I didn't think they needed 1.7 GB.

I compressed the drive a while back, did disk cleanup already, and I've uninstalled just about everything I can and I've shifted all the storage for things like iTunes media and pics etc over to other drives, leaving only OS and installed programs on C.

There are a few other things I would like to uninstall like Internet Explorer. But it doesn't appear in my list of programs and features on my control panel. Why not? I tried to go into the C drive and just delete the program directly but it won't let me. It says I have to uninstall properly.

If you took everything off the drive that you need.... and it's basically just the OS running on it.....reformat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

If you took everything off the drive that you need.... and it's basically just the OS running on it.....reformat it.
    I'm trying to avoid that so I don't have to reinstall the OS and all the software I have running on it. I've cut it down to the stuff that I need. It seems I lose space every time anything updates.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

I'm trying to avoid that so I don't have to reinstall the OS and all the software I have running on it. I've cut it down to the stuff that I need. It seems I lose space every time anything updates.
    Not sure if apple has this, but the problem you are describing happens to window PCs all the time. First check to see if there are any "Temp" folders that could be hogging up a few gigs. Finally once you delete absolutely everything you need to, THEN start a defragment process. I can't tell you how many times I did this with my old HD I keep some stuff on (had this baby since 04) and it would be able to go from 3gigs of free memory back to 15.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post

Not sure if apple has this, but the problem you are describing happens to window PCs all the time. First check to see if there are any "Temp" folders that could be hogging up a few gigs. Finally once you delete absolutely everything you need to, THEN start a defragment process. I can't tell you how many times I did this with my old HD I keep some stuff on (had this baby since 04) and it would be able to go from 3gigs of free memory back to 15.
    Jesus Fucking Christ don't do that Defrags will reck a SSD

Download WinDirStat run it and see what files are taking up space delete accordingly

Are you on a laptop or desktop? If on a desktop add a second hard drive if on a laptop buy a bigger SSD and find a computer shop that will clone it your current hard drive over.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Your comment here about not defragging an SSD might well explain IB trade-driven flash crashes.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Not heard of windirstat but I use spacesniffer (might do the same thing). If you run it and can post a screen shot I can tell you what you are safe to delete / move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

ccleaner is good to delete bullshit files you don't need

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

defraggler to defragment hard drive

I'm like you, I still use old laptop with 100 gb hard drive. I usually try to keep about 20 gigs free, but I'm a hoarder and still can't get rid of that Rush Discography.

I bought a desktop for ~300 bucks that has a couple terabytes and set up a homegroup network so I can still have access to tons of movies/music and stuff on my laptop as long as I'm home without having to delete precious files

Load Metric
    Resolved: bought new 500 GB SSD and had someone clone the old one. Total damage about $225.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    if you have norton it could of been that. had same issues and turned out it was running a backup every few days/weeks can't remember but kept just stacking them up n up without deleting old one. it took up like 70% hard drive

Thread Information