Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carson busted for outright lying about his West Point scholarship. GG, UL.

Load Metric

Carson busted for outright lying about his West Point scholarship. GG, UL.

A report on Friday said Ben Carson has acknowledged never having applied to the prestigious military academy at West Point, raising questions about his repeated assertions that he had turned down a scholarship to attend.

According to the report, in Politico, West Point had no record of Mr. Carson having applied to the academy. When Politico approached Mr. Carson’s campaign with the information, his campaign manager, Barry Bennett, in a statement, explained Mr. Carson had considered an offer to receive help with an appointment to the academy, but he did not ever apply.

In repeated references to West Point over the years, Mr. Carson has strongly implied that he had a standing offer to attend.

In his statement, Mr. Bennett said, “Dr. Carson was the top R.O.T.C. student in the City of Detroit.”

Referring to Gen. William C. Westmoreland, the Army chief of staff at the time, Mr. Bennett added: “In that role he was invited to meet General Westmoreland. He believes it was at a banquet. He can’t remember with specificity their brief conversation but it centered around Dr. Carson’s performance as R.O.T.C. city executive officer.”

“He was introduced to folks from West Point by his R.O.T.C. supervisors,” Mr. Bennett said. “They told him they could help him get an appointment based on his grades and performance in R.O.T.C. He considered it but in the end did not seek admission.”

Mr. Carson recounted the episode of being offered a scholarship at various points in telling his triumphant personal story. (Technically, West Point does not offer scholarships; it is free to attend.)

In his recent book, “You Have a Brain,” Mr. Carson described how he decided which college to attend: “I still had the scholarship offer from West Point as a result of my R.O.T.C. achievements.”

More recently, in a Facebook post in August responding to a question, he addressed a question about whether he was offered a slot at West Point, writing that he was “thrilled to get an offer from West Point.”

“But I knew medicine is what I wanted to do. So I applied to only one school. (it was all the money I had). I applied to Yale and thank God they accepted me. I often wonder what might have happened had they said no.”

The revelation came just a couple of days after a CNN report questioned the accuracy of Mr. Carson’s accounts of violent episodes in his youth, which are central to his often-told story of personal redemption through faith and hard work, one that has made him a favorite of evangelical Christian voters. On Friday, shortly before the Politico report was published, Mr. Carson attacked that report as a “bunch of lies.”

Trump v Rubio at this point I guess.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Name:  Carson.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  73.1 KB

Comments

tgull: Another Shitty Post. Go Complain To Druff About A New Jersey Guy Wanting To Rough You Up. LOL

MumblesBadly: LOL! And a rare +1 rep from me for this particular poster

ToasterOven: solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I hope all of these lies and other forms of weirdness surrounding Carson will finally put a stake in the heart of his campaign.

He also wrote an autobiography in 1990 (referenced in the article above) full of puzzling lies about how he attacked his mother, attacked other kids, considered committing murder, and then was saved as a teenager by finding Jesus.

I think he was trying to make the point that Jesus took him from thug to surgeon, but obviously this stuff looks pretty bad when you're running for President of the US.

Even more odd is the fact that these accounts seem to be untrue. CNN attempted to verify these claims of Carson's, and came up completely empty. They also found some contradictions in his stories and accounts of these situations over the years. Carson's friends and peers said that he was just a quiet, nerdy kid, and not a thug who reformed thanks to Jesus.

And then there's the Mannatech fiasco, where he promoted an obvious scam MLM company.

HOW IS THIS GUY DOING SO WELL IN THE POLLS?

Would be nice if his support collapses and people move their votes to Rubio.

Load Metric
    I'm not voting for this guy.

That said this story is complete bullshit. It won't be his undoing.

Load Metric
    Fun West Point fact: it was originally built as a long term grain storage facility before it was turned into a military academy.

Comments

Muck Ficon: LOL

ToasterOven: lols

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Republicans don't realize that CNN and other news outlets attacking Carson are doing them a favor.

They will sink Mr. Batshit Crazy Surgeon out of the primary race, and allow a safer, more mainstream candidate like Rubio to have a better shot at winning the primary.

Then Rubio can just try to not fuck up, and hope Hillary beats herself (which can easily happen).

No way that Carson can survive a full general election campaign and win.

So go ahead, media... please, by all means, push out the unelectable Republicans. TY

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Jesus and the bible, no? I thought the religious dolts loved this guy, even tho he's a 7th day Adventist or something.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Druff is in denial about how much the religious right has coopted his go-to party.

Load Metric
    With Huckabee dead in the water, Carson was the last hope of the evangelicals.

Its difficult to imagine where those votes will congeal now. I'm guessing Rubio tho.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Jesus and the bible, no? I thought the religious dolts loved this guy, even tho he's a 7th day Adventist or something.
    He is doing well in the polls because he is the outsider as an alternative to Trump. He will fade very quickly. You will see Cruz emerge at this point. All signs point to a brokered convention. And I predict, Jeb Bush will rally and consolidate the votes to prevent Trump from the nomination.

People have to realize Trump is not going away. It will be last man standing, and you will have three candidates with 33% a piece at the end and Cruz and Jeb will consolidate. Cruz is young, only 44 and is banking for 8 years from now. Exactly why he is the only candidate not attacking or being attacked.

I think a Jeb / Cruz will emerge. Do not doubt me on these things.

Load Metric

Comments

Dan Druff: I do the same during radio, but in my defense, I'm talking for 7 hours straight

MumblesBadly: Yes, but like a bluffer at the table who reaches for water instinctly because of fear, the Rube was probably fearful that he was giving himself away as a fraud

Load Metric
    Republicans don't realize that CNN and other news outlets attacking Carson are doing them a favor.

They will sink Mr. Batshit Crazy Surgeon out of the primary race, and allow a safer, more mainstream candidate like Rubio to have a better shot at winning the primary.

Then Rubio can just try to not fuck up, and hope Hillary beats herself (which can easily happen).

No way that Carson can survive a full general election campaign and win.

So go ahead, media... please, by all means, push out the unelectable Republicans. TY
    You're dead on here. I told a buddy of mine this morning this is happening too early. The longer Trump+Carson sit at 50%, the better it is for Dems, yet Republicans are circling around Carson and Dems are taking victory laps when both should be doing the opposite

Load Metric
    Limbaugh has been belly aching about this for 2 hours, ugh.

Long story short, he never went to West Point and never claimed to, so it's really a non-starter. It's meant to read like he lied to get into West Point and nobody bothered to call up West Point and confirm it. But he never went.

Hit job, most likely from the right. I'd put it on Jeb.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Agreed. Much ado about nothing in comparison to his looney religion-driven beliefs

Load Metric
    To be fair, I turned down scholarships to Mississippi State and the University of Tennessee but never never applied to either one.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    To be fair, I turned down scholarships to Mississippi State and the University of Tennessee but never never applied to either one.

I had a school buddy that went. It worked a little different. He had to get a letter from the Governor of the State of Michigan in order to get in. He used to write and tell me of the 1500 vs 1500 paintball games they would have in the woods.

Comments

thesidedish: Child's Play 3 great movie

Load Metric
    So, no one wants to consider that Trump, a worldwide known, successful businessman, who has likely met or engaged with all of the power movers and shakers all over the world, could actually become president and utilize all of his contacts by putting these people, who are very likely shrewd negotiators and can get things done, will be successful?

I dont agree with some of the things he has said, but I definitely see someone who wants this position and will bust his ass to be the best president ever...partially due to his ego...partially due to his drive...and he could place people in positions of his inner circle who would be from business backgrounds and not political.

Would there be people scratching each others backs?....absolutely. But at least they would do a lot of deals because they would produce good results and not just blatantly line pockets.

I think it would be interesting to see him as president. Im not sure about Bernie or Hillary. I think this year is again chock full of candidates where you feel they could and should have done better.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Notable comments, but "interesting" doesn't necessarily translate into "effective".

Load Metric
    Were you an accomplished jock in H.S.?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    So, no one wants to consider that Trump, a worldwide known, successful businessman, who has likely met or engaged with all of the power movers and shakers all over the world, could actually become president and utilize all of his contacts by putting these people, who are very likely shrewd negotiators and can get things done, will be successful?

I dont agree with some of the things he has said, but I definitely see someone who wants this position and will bust his ass to be the best president ever...partially due to his ego...partially due to his drive...and he could place people in positions of his inner circle who would be from business backgrounds and not political.

Would there be people scratching each others backs?....absolutely. But at least they would do a lot of deals because they would produce good results and not just blatantly line pockets.

I think it would be interesting to see him as president. Im not sure about Bernie or Hillary. I think this year is again chock full of candidates where you feel they could and should have done better.

Between the damage to the environment, the damage to the dollar, the wholesale urban unrest, and vampire-like depletion of the middle class that would define a Trump presidency, no. No I dont think he would bust his ass to be the 'best president ever' because I dont think anyone so corrosively ignorant can comport themselves with the diplomacy and patience required to be an even mediocre president.

Comments

thesidedish: bias, not thinking rationally

Krypt: yup

ToasterOven: correct

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    With Huckabee dead in the water, Carson was the last hope of the evangelicals.

Its difficult to imagine where those votes will congeal now. I'm guessing Rubio tho.
    The religious right also likes Kasich, but Carson is so much closer to their craziness, that he has been their first pick to date.

And Kasich has been a Congress member, and is now a popular governor of a populous swing state. His downside, though, is that he isn't very telegenic, which something that Carson and Rubio have going for them.

In any event, his NH poll numbers are climbing along with The Rube's and Gov. Bridgegate's.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/support-...new-hampshire/
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Were you an accomplished jock in H.S.?
    All of my scholarships were won through academic contests. Those were two that I won but were actually tired to certain universities. I had a few that were actual dollar amounts that I could use at any college on top of my actual scholarship that the school have me.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Consistent with your PFA avatar.

Thread Information