Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Gun Laws

http://www.news.com.au/world/louisia...-1227455231395

Yet another mass shooting in the USA. I live on the other side of the world but seem to hear about this happening almost every week in America. I always hear the usual rubbish that if more people carried guns then this wouldnt happen as the offender would be killed by someone carrying a gun etc. Can anyone give me the stats of say the last 20 or 30 mass murders when the shooter has been gunned down by a member of the public carrying a weapon? it seems that every time i read about 1 of these disasters its either the offender killing himself of being shot/arrested by police.

As i said i live a world away so only hear of the major incidents. Are there many example of people who are licensed to carry guns stopping these shootings?

Australia had similar mass shootings (20 years ago), although nowhere near as frequent. Since we brought in our gun laws there hasn't been 1, and it appears its that way in every other country with gun laws.

Load Metric
    Mass Murder is a pop culture phenomenon in the U.S. people do it because they know they will get attention. Also I don't remember the last mass murder where it didn't come out the person was mentally ill.

Now when looking at the murder rate in the U.S. You have to look at a lot of factors.

First you have to account for the fact that the U.S. Reports its murder rate including suicide and most every other country excludes suicide from their murder rate. That drops the number of "murders" from like 14,000 to about 6,000.

Then there is one distinct difference between America and most comparable countries (Western Europe and Australia), the number of black people in the U.S. Black people are about 15% of the population but they commit between 50%-55% of all murder.

FBI reports White people killed about 2700 people in the U.S. But the reporting in the U.S. is funny and 700 of those murders were committed by Hispanics (mostly Mexicans). So that means White people in the U.S. killed about 2,000 people.

There are about 200 million white people in America and that means White people in America commit murder at about 1 per every 100,000 inhabitants in line with Australia and lower than pretty much every European country.

This while 41% of white people own a gun in the U.S.

Murder in America isn't a gun problem it's a race and gang problem.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Dropping facts.

MumblesBadly: Conflating race with gang and drug trade factors

thesparten: im in Love

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    Mass Murder is a pop culture phenomenon in the U.S. people do it because they know they will get attention. Also I don't remember the last mass murder where it didn't come out the person was mentally ill.

Now when looking at the murder rate in the U.S. You have to look at a lot of factors.

First you have to account for the fact that the U.S. Reports its murder rate including suicide and most every other country excludes suicide from their murder rate. That drops the number of "murders" from like 14,000 to about 6,000.

Then there is one distinct difference between America and most comparable countries (Western Europe and Australia), the number of black people in the U.S. Black people are about 15% of the population but they commit between 50%-55% of all murder.

FBI reports White people killed about 2700 people in the U.S. But the reporting in the U.S. is funny and 700 of those murders were committed by Hispanics (mostly Mexicans). So that means White people in the U.S. killed about 2,000 people.

There are about 200 million white people in America and that means White people in America commit murder at about 1 per every 100,000 inhabitants in line with Australia and lower than pretty much every European country.

You also have to figure in a few more things. The population of the US is at least 10 times that of Australia. So shit like this is naturally more likely to happen. Also...no one gives a fuck about Australia....so anything that happens there, like this...will be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Righto, so how does any of that prevent or reduce mass shootings? My points was that i doubt that any states that allow people to carry guns are actually stopping mass shootings. More guns isnt stopping it from happening.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

You also have to figure in a few more things. The population of the US is at least 10 times that of Australia. So shit like this is naturally more likely to happen. Also...no one gives a fuck about Australia....so anything that happens there, like this...will be ignored.
    You may not give a fuck about it, but i can go to the movies and my kids can go to school without the threat of having my brains blown out, as small as that threat may be

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post

You may not give a fuck about it, but i can go to the movies and my kids can go to school without the threat of having my brains blown out, as small as that threat may be
    Anyone in Australia who wants a gun can get one. It's the same all over the world. You are a fool to think otherwise. If someone is determined to do something, they will do it.
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Anyone in Australia who wants a gun can get one. It's the same all over the world. You are a fool to think otherwise. If someone is determined to do something, they will do it.
    Absolute rubbish. I work law enforcement in Oz and that couldnt be further from the truth.

A cleanskin would take over 6 months just to get a licence to be able to buy a gun. I could ask any of my family/friends and not 1 of them would have any idea how to get their hands on a gun without going through the proper procedures.

Load Metric
    Righto, so how does any of that prevent or reduce mass shootings? My points was that i doubt that any states that allow people to carry guns are actually stopping mass shootings. More guns isnt stopping it from happening.

I was proving your argument was retarded because the murder rate is the same between Australia and White Americans even though there are 80+ million White gun owners in America.

The problem isn't the gun laws.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

I was proving your argument was retarded because the murder rate is the same between Australia and White Americans even though there are 80+ million White gun owners in America.

Not sure how that shows my argument is retarded? All i asked for was a statistic that showed how often a person conducting these mass murders was actually stopped by someone in the public carrying their own weapon?

Load Metric

Not sure how that shows my argument is retarded? All i asked for was a statistic that showed how often a person conducting these mass murders was actually stopped by someone in the public carrying their own weapon?
    The answer to your question is "almost never". Im not really sure what point that proves though? That the talking heads saying we need more guns are wrong? Sure, I think most people understand that.

Guns arent the problem, people are the problem. I feel if someone wants to own a gun they should be allowed to do so responsibly. There is absolutely no reason every gun shouldnt be registered. There is no reason every gun shouldnt be shot and ballistic tested and placed on file. The only people who oppose those ideas are criminals.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Guns aren't the problem, people are the problem rep.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

The answer to your question is "almost never". Im not really sure what point that proves though? That the talking heads saying we need more guns are wrong? Sure, I think most people understand that.

Guns arent the problem, people are the problem. I feel if someone wants to own a gun they should be allowed to do so responsibly. There is absolutely no reason every gun shouldnt be registered. There is no reason every gun shouldnt be shot and ballistic tested and placed on file. The only people who oppose those ideas are criminals.

Couldn't agree more. Every single gun sold should be shot and placed on file before being sold.

I guess my point was that everyone outside of america is always reading or hearing US citizens say that more people should be carrying guns in order to stop these events from happening. Maybe thats not the case over there but thats certainly what the rest of the world hears.

Yes its the people, not the guns that are the problem. But surely preventing these people getting a gun to start with will reduce the shootings?

Load Metric
    http://www.news.com.au/world/louisia...-1227455231395

Yet another mass shooting in the USA. I live on the other side of the world but seem to hear about this happening almost every week in America. I always hear the usual rubbish that if more people carried guns then this wouldnt happen as the offender would be killed by someone carrying a gun etc. Can anyone give me the stats of say the last 20 or 30 mass murders when the shooter has been gunned down by a member of the public carrying a weapon? it seems that every time i read about 1 of these disasters its either the offender killing himself of being shot/arrested by police.

As i said i live a world away so only hear of the major incidents. Are there many example of people who are licensed to carry guns stopping these shootings?

Australia had similar mass shootings (20 years ago), although nowhere near as frequent. Since we brought in our gun laws there hasn't been 1, and it appears its that way in every other country with gun laws.
    Are you really trying to reason with these rednecks and hillbillies?

LOL @ "ABrown", the resident voyeur of this site, trying to make a long-running systemic and socioeconomic problem into a race issue.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    People, not guns, were also the problem in australia, as well as everywhere else in the world.

When you take guns away from people this is what happens.

Name:  chart3a-deaths-resulting-from-firearms-data_zpswhpemf4o.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  65.0 KB

Load Metric

Think again about it being due to race, David Duke. If similar figures were calculated for the period of alcohol Prohibition, the genius statistician would be blaming the violence on Jews, the Irish, and especially the Italians, all of whom are considered "white" by modern racial metrics.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Criminals will still have guns. New laws will not change anything in a positive way. Only hamper law abiding folks.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Criminals will still have guns. New laws will not change anything in a positive way. Only hamper law abiding folks.
    Correct, criminals will still have guns. No different than what happened over here. Criminals still have guns.

But its almost unheard of, ordinary civilians getting shot by criminals. Actually couldn't tell you the last time i heard of it happening in my city. Criminals basically carry guns in case they get into fights with other criminals.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Regarding the graph i posted earlier. We had a gun buy back scheme after a huge mass shooting. How many criminals do you think sold their guns back?

Criminals will still have guns. But I dont think they are the guys that are committing these huge mass shootings....

Load Metric
    Regarding the graph i posted earlier. We had a gun buy back scheme after a huge mass shooting. How many criminals do you think sold their guns back?

Criminals will still have guns. But I dont think they are the guys that are committing these huge mass shootings....
    So it's better to have criminals with guns than law abiding citizens....yeah that makes sense.

Load Metric

So it's better to have criminals with guns than law abiding citizens....yeah that makes sense.

Lots of "law abiding" citizens, turn out to be criminals and murders.

What is your point?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Can you explain to me why the gun deaths over here have reduced significantly since our gun buy back scheme? It wasnt the crooks selling back their guns...

20 years later we don't have innocent people getting shot by criminals with guns.

Thread Information