Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

Load Metric

So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

Because seriously that train is pulling into the station any minute now.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Because seriously that train is pulling into the station any minute now.

The long term management of the Colorado river is definitive proof that mankind is doomed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They replace it with a hologram of a Lake. The opening concert will be a hologram of Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Tupac doing a cover of the song "Changes"

Comments

MumblesBadly: Virtual reality is the future!

herbertstemple: Nice to see somebody here using their brain.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Hoffa family and many more will have closure.

Name change to Lake Mud.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Nostradamus rep

Load Metric
    Lol Vegas haters city's goat small town feel is.goat unlv goat and tine is just salty cuz scorpions are attracted to his musk and ran him out of town

Load Metric
    in fairness im terribly musky yes

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Comments

Benford: wow

Load Metric
    i believe folsom is back, btw. el nino filled it and also topped off the snow caps.

in fact i believe they had to do an emergency vent of its water stores which actually resulted in a lot of damage around the american river (which they vent to).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    They replace it with a hologram of a Lake. The opening concert will be a hologram of Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Tupac doing a cover of the song "Changes"
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Under 1,075 feet the feds can step in and force a reduction of water usage.

It just went to 1,074.51 ft recently.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Lets face it, sooner or later the whole westernmost chunk of the US is going to be fucked one way or another sooner or later

EDIT: westernmost

and chill the fuck out Toasterfuck - its a writing error...they happen
    Last edited by Gordman; 05-20-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Under 1,075 feet the feds can step in and force a reduction of water usage.

It just went to 1,074.51 ft recently.

OMG the federal government is going to step in and fix everything. I am so relieved, mankind can sleep easy tonight

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Lets face it, sooner or later the whole easternmost chunk of the US is going to be fucked one way or another sooner or later

You mean westernmost?

Shut it down, Gordo.

Comments

Gordman: LOL, you got me there. I just saw it but didn't edit it yet

Platinum
    Load Metric
    This may sound like a stupid question to some who are more in the know, but someone help me to understand, because I don't live there or know really anything about the lake. How does a lake just....dry up like that? Is the water that fills it come strictly from rainfall and/or runoff or something? I guess what im asking is, aren't there springs that fill the lake, or is it that any springs that fill the lake not enough to sustain the water level vs humans drawing water from it? I guess I am used to lakes in my neck of the woods being sustained more or less by springs keeping it filled to the proper level. Also, when a lake like lake Mead or Folsum dries up as much as it does, how much damage does it do to the fish population?

Load Metric
    This may sound like a stupid question to some who are more in the know, but someone help me to understand, because I don't live there or know really anything about the lake. How does a lake just....dry up like that? Is the water that fills it come strictly from rainfall and/or runoff or something? I guess what im asking is, aren't there springs that fill the lake, or is it that any springs that fill the lake not enough to sustain the water level vs humans drawing water from it? I guess I am used to lakes in my neck of the woods being sustained more or less by springs keeping it filled to the proper level. Also, when a lake like lake Mead or Folsum dries up as much as it does, how much damage does it do to the fish population?
    it evaporates gordo, the fish die.

Load Metric
    Of course, this prolly has nothing to do with man-made global warming, right?

Losing snow in a changing climate
    WHAT GLOBAL WARMING MEANS FOR OUR WATER SUPPLIES
    http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...lies/82631192/

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: no it has to do with people using more water and population growing you dumb fuck
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    it evaporates gordo, the fish die.
    Well obviously water evaporates smartass. Most lakes (not all) that ive been around have springs which keep the water level in check and for the most part counter evaporation.

Load Metric
    So the cycle is usually like;

Winter packs the mountain ranges with snow/ice, then during summer they melt and fill the lakes and rivers. Easy peasy.

But because everything is hotter, everywhere... the snow never aggregates in the mountains and there is nothing to melt in summer. On top of which, warmer weather means less rains because that much less water evaporates from the ocean/mountains and makes it inland.

Plus its a feedback loop because as the soil around the mountains/rivers changes chemistry from becoming critically dry/hot, it changes how the water flows basically. So even less water gets 'retained' on its way to the ocean.

Etc etc.

Comments

Gordman: thanks

Load Metric
    I think the Westernmostcoast is going to be dealing with too much water in the future

nostradamus

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    So the cycle is usually like;

Winter packs the mountain ranges with snow/ice, then during summer they melt and fill the lakes and rivers. Easy peasy.

But because everything is hotter, everywhere... the snow never aggregates in the mountains and there is nothing to melt in summer. On top of which, warmer weather means less rains because that much less water evaporates from the ocean/mountains and makes it inland.

Plus its a feedback loop because as the soil around the mountains/rivers changes chemistry from becoming critically dry/hot, it changes how the water flows basically. So even less water gets 'retained' on its way to the ocean.

Etc etc.
    Very nice explanation, I understand now. Thanks

I didn't realize how much different lake makeups were in those areas vs where I am used to in my neck of the woods

Thread Information