Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Major crypto exchange FTX is about to collapse

Load Metric
    absolutely 100% going to put money in this chicks commissary.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    SBF, Gary Wang, and director of engineering Nishad Singh have been detained by Bahamian authorities while supposedly trying to flee to Dubai.

If true, did they just assume the U.A.E. doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US or something? Because they would be wrong anyway...one was just signed earlier this year lol.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/sam-b...-flee-to-dubai
    Interesting how Caroline is said to be in Hong Kong now. Wonder if she left and went there as soon as the shit hit the fan.

The Bahamas might not want to anger the US over this situation, and might just arrest SBF and his two cohorts, and ship them over. If SBF is federally prosecuted and they can prove he secretly transferred over $10 billion to Alameda Research from FTX, I could see him getting a really stiff sentence.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    SBF, Gary Wang, and director of engineering Nishad Singh have been detained by Bahamian authorities while supposedly trying to flee to Dubai.

If true, did they just assume the U.A.E. doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US or something? Because they would be wrong anyway...one was just signed earlier this year lol.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/sam-b...-flee-to-dubai
    Interesting how Caroline is said to be in Hong Kong now. Wonder if she left and went there as soon as the shit hit the fan.

The Bahamas might not want to anger the US over this situation, and might just arrest SBF and his two cohorts, and ship them over. If SBF is federally prosecuted and they can prove he secretly transferred over $10 billion to Alameda Research from FTX, I could see him getting a really stiff sentence.
    Why do you think SBF will get a “really stiff sentence”?

This offshore entity in an unregulated industry.

Don’t confuse your outrage with penalty. You of all people. That is rarely how things work as your experience in poker should have informed you.

This might be why the guy with relationships to really well connected and highly educated lawyers might be chillin’ and not runnin.

He’ll do some time perhaps but he isn’t gonna be Ross Ulbricht

Comments

sonatine:
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-14-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Don’t confuse your outrage with penalty. You of all people. That is rarely how things work as your experience in poker should have informed you.

This might be why the guy with relationships to really well connected and highly educated lawyers might be chillin’ and not runnin.

this is really a big part of the point i was making yesterday.

fraud is when you line your own pockets with a rug pull.

the overwhelming majority of missteps that brought down ftx _appear_ to simply be impulsive gestures based on shit that worked a hundred times before it didnt.

the recent 'hacks' are a different convo, we dont know what happened there. im more inclined to chalk it up to north korea than insiders but whatever.

there were so many incredibly high risk plays made that were obviously not designed to deceive, but simply to be flashy 'i can so i will' type maneuvers... i dont know what a court can do with that, and i dont know what court would even have jurisdiction.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

the overwhelming majority of missteps that brought down ftx _appear_ to simply be impulsive gestures based on shit that worked a hundred times before it didnt.

the recent 'hacks' are a different convo, we dont know what happened there. im more inclined to chalk it up to north korea than insiders but whatever.

there were so many incredibly high risk plays made that were obviously not designed to deceive, but simply to be flashy 'i can so i will' type maneuvers... i dont know what a court can do with that, and i dont know what court would even have jurisdiction.
    I actually forgot about the recent hacks tbh. Really not sure anything comes of that. We will see.

What? US gonna prosecute an entire industry? There will be more CEX fails - hardly a bold call… there always are.

Candidly, not sure FTX showed any original moves out on the floor. They just had the misfortune to have been large in a QT/bear market.

The tsunami that hit the shore with this story has now become low tide. We move on.

Load Metric
    @ sonatine

You haven’t bit on the Citadel GME/AMC bad paper for FTT swap.

Woulda been fun.

Load Metric
    If you would have told me 3 weeks ago FTX evaporated in 48 hours and other exchanges are locked up in whole or part id have guessed BTC would be back to pre covid 3.5K

If the price holds around 16 for the next week or three i think we may have found our post covid low.

Load Metric
    @ sonatine

You haven’t bit on the Citadel GME/AMC bad paper for FTT swap.

Woulda been fun.

it was debunked a few days ago.

Comments

Sanlmar: thx Bunky

Load Metric

Candidly, not sure FTX showed any original moves out on the floor.

issuing perps when your affiliate owns 90% of the coins tho...

i cant get that out of my head. and im sure its one of hundreds of examples.

Load Metric
    Gox was crashing again, hitting a low of $479.92 -- a level not seen since mid-November.

It finally stopped and recovered to $512.

The other BTC exchanges are holding steady around $650 despite this.

I mean “zoom out”

Load Metric
    again to the 'was there an actual crime committed here' point; the bahamian securities police still cant find cause to arrest anyone.

https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1592218357188665350

running a lolfund shittily is apparently not illegal.

that said... lotta time on the clock still and sbf aint going anywhere.

Load Metric
    I mean nobody went to jail for 2008.

I cant imagine some of these guys dont fry for this. The fact that they gave so much $$ to political people is probably going to help though. Not like any of them want to give the $$ back.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    I mean nobody went to jail for 2008.

I cant imagine some of these guys dont fry for this. The fact that they gave so much $$ to political people is probably going to help though. Not like any of them want to give the $$ back.
    theres a rumor going around that the fbi reached out to the doj about this and the doj were literally like shrug city if you can find a crime for us to prosecute, let us know.

whats interesting tho, and this is pointed out by citrus research (in a post about why they are net short eth), is that major political donors receive _extremely_ heavy scrutiny/vetting, and citrus wants to know why the fbi didnt do 5 fucking minutes of due diligence on ftx when thats how long it took citrus to sniff out bullshit.

Load Metric
    hack is north korea -125 -> +525

the hacker literally sent funds to his kraken account and doxed himself. kraken is sitting on the ID but apparently has made it.

Load Metric
    @tellafriend

Next time you’re at Atlantis you should do a walk thru of SBF’s crib. Obv the furniture is staged cause autism and bean bags

https://www.seasidebahamas.com/view/...H+6/20046/buy/

Load Metric

SBF is NOT under arrest, yet.

The investigation into his business has just started.

He is free to take off in his private jet and leave the country at any time.

He should leave right now, if he's smart.

If for some reason that you can't leave by plane, get a submarine and have them pick you up.

SBF must have some money and crypto stashed away.

Does this movie have a happy ending?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

alameda just copped to loans being used to finance venture capital investments at the peak of the bull run being the root cause. the loans got called and they used investor capital to cover. its just not clear to me if/how thats going to get prosecuted.

there may be some bookkeeping charges coming but honestly you really cant prosecute when a fund goes batshit. at best you can sue and lest we forget, burry got sued for halting withdrawals from scion in 2007 and no one got a penny from him because he was within his contractual rights.

its just not clear to me what contractual boundaries alameda had in place, or what is / is not allowed in the bahamas...

Load Metric
    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 5.01.26 PM.png
Views: 326
Size:  193.0 KB

this is so irritating... hes exploiting the twitter deleted tweet recording bot by deleting incriminating tweets as he ads each one of these nonsense tweets.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That's really clever, actually. I didn't realize you could trick the "deleted tweet" bot by adding junk tweets and then simultaneously deleting another (thus making it appear as if you have the same number as before).

Are you sure it works that way, though?

I ask because I have to interface with the Twitter API in order to autopost the WSOP tweets with the #pfaXX hashtag (such as #pfa04 for event #4), and basically it's a call to Twitter to serve me any new tweets made with that hashtag (by any account). Then I postprocess it, such as auto-posting to the appropriate WSOP forum and trashing any unwanted spam or whatever.

So I would think a Twitter deleted tweet bot would do something similar, even if it's scraping the tweets on their own, without help of the API. Are you sure it works by tweet count?

I was thinking he was just trolling with this one-letter-at-a-time "WHAT HAPPENS" or "WHAT'S HAPPENING IS..." message.

Either way, it's a weird look. Prior to this series of tweets, he at least feigning taking the entire matter seriously, and was claiming extreme remorse. Now it's just trolling the community, no matter what is happening.

Thread Information