Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Why is Betts the only Dodger who can hit Webb? He had 2 hits in game 1, and 3 hits here.

Nobody else has a hit tonight.
    Cause Betts is your best player.

Load Metric
    Told my wife I won’t be coming to bed for another 2 hours.

14 innings.

You guys are no fun

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Why is Betts the only Dodger who can hit Webb? He had 2 hits in game 1, and 3 hits here.

Nobody else has a hit tonight.
    Cause Betts is your best player.
    Win or lose, Betts is The Man. Might be the best performance by a Dodger I’ve ever seen.

Load Metric
    In between innings Canadian channel shows a commercial about Game 1 Houston vs Boston.

:whocares

This game is awesome and will be heartbreaking for the loser.

Load Metric
    What a game. I haven’t personally hung on every pitch like this since Indians-Cubs game 7. Just a great matchup.

Load Metric
    Name:  646BF391-4B17-4F41-8A2A-4D904673F7D9.gif
Views: 168
Size:  932.4 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Hahahahaha…stupid ump.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Wish it was a cleaner ending, but that's baseball.

I admit I'd be pissed if I were a Giants fan.

Gold
    Load Metric

i didnt watch the red sox for most of 2 years because I was pissed about them trading their best player to LA. Mookie sure is fun to watch. The 1st base ump sucks. That wasnt even really close.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

i didnt watch the red sox for most of 2 years because I was pissed about them trading their best player to LA. Mookie sure is fun to watch. The 1st base ump sucks. That wasnt even really close.
    Fitting finish to such an epic season long battle.

Essentially ended in a tie

Load Metric

i agree re: the last strike...but the Dodgers lost a game to the Giants mid-seaon in LA because of a check-swing call, that time the ump said no swing, but the bat had clearly crossed the plate--the at bat continued and the Giants rallied to win; so one can say the Dodgers earned the break tonight by having the break go against them in the season

on to Atlanta Saturday
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

i agree re: the last strike...but the Dodgers lost a game to the Giants mid-seaon in LA because of a check-swing call, that time the ump said no swing, but the bat had clearly crossed the plate--the at bat continued and the Giants rallied to win; so one can say the Dodgers earned the break tonight by having the break go against them in the season

on to Atlanta Saturday
    Yeah that was the infamous Darin Ruf check swing.

Justin Turner scored the go-ahead run after getting hit, btw.

https://twitter.com/redturn2/status/1448884242218295296

Load Metric
    Poetic justice. The baseball Gods have made things right. For all of you haters, ignore the fact that the count was 0-2 with 2 outs. Ignore the fact that Flores was 0-17 with 8 Ks lifetime against Scherzer. Ignore the fact that he hit .083 in the series. Just say it so we Dodger fans can have more to smile and laugh about because this is just so much fucking fun seeing you pathetic losers wallow in your own tears.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...ked-swing-call

Giants now know what it’s like to be on the wrong end of a blown checked-swing call

Let’s face it Dodger fans, the checked swing call on Wilmer Flores to end Game 5 of the Dodgers-Giants division series was a bad call. Flores did not swing and the game should have continued. Max Scherzer probably would have gotten him out anyway, we’ll never know. And 20 years from now, no one will care except for the Giants and some of their fans.

However, Dodgers fans will also be quick to point out a horrible check swing call earlier this season that cost the Dodgers a game against the Giants. A call, that if called correctly, would have given the Dodgers the win. Meaning the Dodgers could have won the NL West by a game and not the Giants. Meaning Game 5 would have been at Dodger Stadium, and who know what would have happened if all that played out?

On July 22, the Dodgers were up 3-2 with two out in the ninth inning. Kenley Jansen threw a full-count pitch with the bases loaded. Darin Ruf tried to hold up his swing but clearly went around. That was a 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded. If it’s a swing and a miss on a Kenley Jansen throw, it’s game over and the Dodgers get a huge win as they chase the Giants in the tight NL West. First-base umpire Ed Hickox said he did not swing. Tying run walked home. The Giants eventually won the game 5-3.

On Oct. 14, The Dodgers were up 2-1 with two out in the ninth inning. Max Scherzer threw an 0-2 pitch to Wilmer Flores, he clearly checked his swing. Catcher Will Smith appealed and first-base umpire Gabe Morales said it was a swing. Game over. Dodgers move on to the NLCS, Giants go home.

Giants fans took no solace in the split calls, venting their frustration about Morales’ decision on social media.

When Morales was asked after the game what he saw on the final call, he responded, “The plate umpire appealed the check swing to me. I thought he went, so I called it a swing.”

Morales was then asked if he felt the same way after watching the replay, and he replied, “Check swings are one of the hardest calls we have. I don’t have the benefit of multiple camera angles when I’m watching it live. When it happened live, I thought he went, so that’s why I called it a swing.”

Fans lamented a dramatic playoff series was settled by an umpire’s call, suggesting in the NBA referees might not make a call late in a playoff game that would so heavily influence the outcome.

Umpire Ted Barrett said that was never a consideration.

“I get that from fans a lot whether it’s spring training and we’re in Scottsdale and March 1st and/or we’re in the seventh game of the World Series, we’re always trying to get the calls right, try to call it the same way,” Barrett said.

“And we try not to think about whether it’s a playoff game, whether it’s a regular-season game or a spring-training game. They’re all important, so we’re just trying to get our calls right.”

In the tweet embedded above, Ruf’s swing is on the left, Flores’ swing is on the right. What call do you make of it?

Load Metric
    I didn’t really care who won, but the home plate ump jobbed the Giants on a few at bats and then an ending like that just tarnished an incredible game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen two teams so close wire to wire.

For it to end like that is just gross. Felt like baseball makes a step forward, and gets a few people interested again, and then sheer incompetence leaves you feeling like you wasted your time caring if you aren’t a homer for either team. I was really into that game, which is hard to do when it’s not my team, and then at the end I was like lol baseball.

Reminds me of a lot of boxing decisions 15 years ago that really killed the sport.

Load Metric

Bad call, but Scherzer had him 0-2, so he wasn’t getting on. Kudos to the Giants, they gave the Dodgers all they could handle.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Bad call, but Scherzer had him 0-2, so he wasn’t getting on. Kudos to the Giants, they gave the Dodgers all they could handle.
    Scherzer put two men on.

He is renowned for getting too amped up in the 1st inning and having sketchy control cause overthrowing. Anecdotes last night about Scherzer well outta the pen before the pitcher left the mound and all that spastic stuff. I love Scherzer’s compete, don’t get me wrong.

Last four outings he had 3 poor games and one good. Be real.

There was the potential for Scherzer fail. The ump didn’t give Scherzer a chance (to fail). Always next time.

Looking back at Dave Roberts insisting Scherzer wasn’t gonna pitch last night. Did he believe that until the front office sent him a note?
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-15-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

Ol' Man Hal (96) from da Bronx left us today with no fanfare and SALES/Boston +131.....

R.I.P. Hal.... Shalom...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Braves being at home for 4/7 is a joke. Dodgers finished 18 games (!!) ahead of the Braves in the standings. It's just outrageous how they fuck the wildcard like this. At least this year's idiocy might bring forth some long needed changes. Here's how it should be:

Two wildcards play 3-game series, not 1-game.

Team with best record in league plays the team with the worst record in ALDS/NLDS.

Team with best record always has home field advantage.

There's no point to reward the division winner with the additional home game anymore, because the lack of having to play the wildcard "series" is already a huge reward.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Scherzer put two men on.

He is renowned for getting too amped up in the 1st inning and having sketchy control cause overthrowing. Anecdotes last night about Scherzer well outta the pen before the pitcher left the mound and all that spastic stuff. I love Scherzer’s compete, don’t get me wrong.

Last four outings he had 3 poor games and one good. Be real.

There was the potential for Scherzer fail. The ump didn’t give Scherzer a chance (to fail). Always next time.

Looking back at Dave Roberts insisting Scherzer wasn’t gonna pitch last night. Did he believe that until the front office sent him a note?
    The Dodgers own your face that’s what’s real…suck a fat one.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Braves being at home for 4/7 is a joke. Dodgers finished 18 games (!!) ahead of the Braves in the standings. It's just outrageous how they fuck the wildcard like this. At least this year's idiocy might bring forth some long needed changes. Here's how it should be:

Two wildcards play 3-game series, not 1-game.

Team with best record in league plays the team with the worst record in ALDS/NLDS.

Team with best record always has home field advantage.

There's no point to reward the division winner with the additional home game anymore, because the lack of having to play the wildcard "series" is already a huge reward.
    Suck a fat one was as well…win your division and reap the rewards. What if the Braves had an all around harder schedule and the Dodgers had cupcakes in the west, obviously not the case this year.

Thread Information