Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Fire Season

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    All they have to do is rake the forests.
    Problem solved. No more fires.
    It isn’t that simply not even close. And ironically it’s the leftist tree hugger environmentalists who’ve complicated it. No actually you need at times to do controlled burning of underbrush and other rapid burn fuel sources when the weather isn’t dry so it can be burned off safely.

Small controlled fire is much preferable to a massive fire storm when some dipshit tosses a cig or even unfortunately chains on a trailer hitting rocks causing a spark that ignites dry dense sources and off to the races. It’s bad enough with lightening from Mother Nature but let’s look at reality stupid idiotic leftist environmental policies like CA leads to mass conflagration.

Meanwhile Indian reservations who operate under federal BLM oversight have nowhere near such issues.

So yeah it’s not just a little raking dude and DR can verify this all I’m sure.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post
    It isn’t that simply not even close. And ironically it’s the leftist tree hugger environmentalists who’ve complicated it. No actually you need at times to do controlled burning of underbrush and other rapid burn fuel sources when the weather isn’t dry so it can be burned off safely.

Small controlled fire is much preferable to a massive fire storm when some dipshit tosses a cig or even unfortunately chains on a trailer hitting rocks causing a spark that ignites dry dense sources and off to the races. It’s bad enough with lightening from Mother Nature but let’s look at reality stupid idiotic leftist environmental policies like CA leads to mass conflagration.

Meanwhile Indian reservations who operate under federal BLM oversight have nowhere near such issues.

Read a book please.
    Also you have to expect a little heat if you’re already in hell.

Load Metric
    Somewhat correct. The USFS and BLM fire have learned that they "can not stop fires with mass". Meaning throwing resources at it. Prevention is the key and that includes removing the fuel. Obviously they cant remove millions of acres, but my suggestion is to rehab and fortify the fire access roads. Now they have a mineral dirt barrier and a entry and exit path for equipment and crews. Add in prescription burns, goats to eat the brush, etc. There is only so much that can be done, but some effort in key target areas is priority, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post

All good points.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Somewhat correct. The USFS and BLM fire have learned that they "can not stop fires with mass". Meaning throwing resources at it. Prevention is the key and that includes removing the fuel. Obviously they cant remove millions of acres, but my suggestion is to rehab and fortify the fire access roads. Now they have a mineral dirt barrier and a entry and exit path for equipment and crews. Add in prescription burns, goats to eat the brush, etc. There is only so much that can be done, but some effort in key target areas is priority, in my opinion.
    This is actually a good suggestion.

In a fire that broke out here in 2019, they had a hard time getting in to battle it, so they bulldozed a fence in order to get access.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

In a fire that broke out here in 2019, they had a hard time getting in to battle it, so they bulldozed a fence in order to get access.
    Druff and I am sure you can ateast, it would have been an easy fix had they pre-planned prior. But they can not do and get everything, thats why the local fire station crews need to go out and survey their first due areas.

Pre-planning is so key. The counties (say LA, OC or Ventura) would be using their fire and non-fire dozers to pre-cut access roads and improve them. Fire crews (engine companies) should be out pre-planning as well like looking for blocked gates, road access, turn around areas, heli-pad access, blocked or covered hydrants, etc. Inspectors should be out in the I-Zone (interface) checking homes as well. There is so much pre-planning that can be done and isnt.

PGE is (or was) pruning the wires from the trees in my local area and then recently stopped or just disappeared. I know PGE was using contractors as well. In my opinion, the base local govt to do this will always be at the county level where they have a feel of the local needs and issues. Federal and State gov's are too big and just dont care.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Druff and I am sure you can ateast, it would have been an easy fix had they pre-planned prior. But they can not do and get everything, thats why the local fire station crews need to go out and survey their first due areas.

Pre-planning is so key. The counties (say LA, OC or Ventura) would be using their fire and non-fire dozers to pre-cut access roads and improve them. Fire crews (engine companies) should be out pre-planning as well like looking for blocked gates, road access, turn around areas, heli-pad access, blocked or covered hydrants, etc. Inspectors should be out in the I-Zone (interface) checking homes as well. There is so much pre-planning that can be done and isnt.

PGE is (or was) pruning the wires from the trees in my local area and then recently stopped or just disappeared. I know PGE was using contractors as well. In my opinion, the base local govt to do this will always be at the county level where they have a feel of the local needs and issues. Federal and State gov's are too big and just dont care.
    Not an expert but I do listen. A climatologist or two have compared humidity levels from the time they were first recorded to today’s lowest ever readings and say it’s a significant factor for wildfires.

It’s not like firefighters just got worse at their jobs

Load Metric
    Got Cali smoke in my Massachusetts backyard.

Tip my cap. Impressive

A transcontinental daytime flight would be interesting. Maybe Bezos can hook me up

Gold
    Load Metric
    A few years ago I was flying home from the East Coast during fire season at night and was able to see like 10 fires raging across the West Coast. Was pretty impressive sight.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    a couple decades ago, either with kunt only or with my parents only & kunt-free, I was in Ireland when there was a very thin layer of sand on all the cars that hadn't moved for a few hours. I had always thought of that as an amazing feature of weather, that shit could be sucked up into the atmosphere, from Saudi Arabia in that case I think, drift along for a few K miles as the world goes by, then drop like a thin sheet somewhere completely different in the world.

Turns out Saudi Arabia is a good bit closer to Ireland than the west coast fires are to us. Sucks. Went for a walk through the pine section of the Arboretum today just to be out in nature but have a decent canopy obscuring the bullshit air above. Smelled awesome too. Frederick Law Olmsted is an American superhero.

edit: upon review, was more likely Saharan sand, which is just under 2700 miles, sez google. Also, apparently happened again in Ireland in March this year.

Comments

Sanlmar: Never would’ve imagined that sand story
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 07-20-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Load Metric

Tip my cap. Impressive

A transcontinental daytime flight would be interesting. Maybe Bezos can hook me up

i believe thats actually ontario smoke.

we are getting it in ny too.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Tip my cap. Impressive

On the local news, the story was MA was generally getting domestic smoke and NH was getting the Cannuck stuff, fwiw

Comments

sonatine:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

On the local news, the story was MA was generally getting domestic smoke and NH was getting the Cannuck stuff, fwiw
    B.C. fires at an all time high. A lot of the smoke has gone south, even eastern states
    B.C. just announced a salmon fishery closure.
    All hell is braking loose

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

B.C. fires at an all time high. A lot of the smoke has gone south, even eastern states
    B.C. just announced a salmon fishery closure.
    All hell is braking loose
    1. Maybe if you weren’t inebriated you could’ve used your brakes properly.

2. It’s BREAKING. Clearly your still drunk as fuck.

PS sorry druff I don’t mean to troll the thread but Les crossed a line I can’t ignore with this latest DWI with injury he’s admitted to.

Thread Information