Thread: Veteran Dodger minor leaguer goes FULL TYSON on Cuban prospect--bites off ear

Load Metric

Veteran Dodger minor leaguer goes FULL TYSON on Cuban prospect--bites off ear

Dodger minor league catcher Miguel Olivo bit off teammate infielder prospect Alex Guerrero's ear in fight the two had today in their game in Salt Lake City.

best coverage by blogger for the Salt Lake City Bees

http://blog.stingembees.com/?p=1963

sooo stupid...after all, this was at affiliate ball, where teamwork is 2nd place to putting up individual stats...Olivo, 35, is bound to be released and soon to be playing in the independent Atlantic League (triple AAA minor league)...i would figure Lorenzo Bundy, Alburquerque team manager, will likely be not renewed for losing control of his club.

Comments

son of lockman: top notch article
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, I saw this earlier. Unbelievable.

They only signed Olivo because AJ Ellis was hurt for awhile, and his timetable for return was unclear. The two backup catchers (Drew Butera and Tim Federowicz) couldn't hit a lick, and the Dodgers got tired of giving away an automatic out in the 8-spot. They grabbed Olivo for something near the minimum, and immediately promoted him to starting catcher. For a few games, this worked out great, as he hit well. However, then he went 0-fer several games in a row, and they decided they'd actually rather go with Butera instead. Shortly after that, Ellis came off the DL and Olivo was sent to AAA.

This couldn't sit very well with Olivo, who already refused an AAA assignment with a different team this year, and essentially got rejected in favor of a backup catcher with a horrible career hitting line.

I imagine Olivo was in a foul mood in general, and he took it out on Guerrero, who has sucked big time defensively. Guerrero is killing the ball at the plate, but the Dodgers don't want to promote him because that would mean sitting either Dee Gordon or Hanley Ramirez, and neither of those guys are gonna be benched.

I think the Dodgers should avoid re-signing Hanley (who will be a free agent in 2015, and seems to be in decline this year), and replace him with Guerrero that year. They should leave him in the minors in 2014 to work on his awful defense.

Load Metric
    In the big 4 leagues, has there ever been a real punch thrown between teammates during a game? There have been significant fights that happened in practice. And I've seen some minor pushing during a game. But that's nuts.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    In the big 4 leagues, has there ever been a real punch thrown between teammates during a game? There have been significant fights that happened in practice. And I've seen some minor pushing during a game. But that's nuts.
    I don't recall during a game, although there have been a few fights off field...I knew about Garvey and Sutton, googled it and turned up a boatload of similar stories...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/team...ds/031103.html

Comments

son of lockman: good reporting

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    I don't recall during a game, although there have been a few fights off field...I knew about Garvey and Sutton, googled it and turned up a boatload of similar stories...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/team...ds/031103.html
    If Kent/Bonds is # 4 all time, this ear thing is the biggest fight amongst teammates for sure.
    He has to go.

Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerigan doesn't qualify in my book.
    That is an individual sport, Nancy was clubbed so Tonya would win a spot easier.
    I just saw that 30/30, Tonya Harding is bat fucking crazy, still.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodger minor league catcher Miguel Olivo bit off teammate infielder prospect Alex Guerrero's ear in fight the two had today in their game in Salt Lake City.

best coverage by blogger for the Salt Lake City Bees

http://blog.stingembees.com/?p=1963

sooo stupid...after all, this was at affiliate ball, where teamwork is 2nd place to putting up individual stats...Olivo, 35, is bound to be released and soon to be playing in the independent Atlantic League (triple AAA minor league)...i would figure Lorenzo Bundy, Alburquerque team manager, will likely be not renewed for losing control of his club.
    F#cking disgusting the way people like Olivo act and especially when involving sports. Almost as bad as Roseboro being clubbered by Marichal 50 years ago. Well Sandy was brave as he prolly saved Roseboro's life breaking it up. (Which I watched on live TV)

But this is really the limit here.

Name:  1012586_836616133034117_3797368033857410851_n.jpg
Views: 3678
Size:  48.4 KB

Another bad day in sports.

22 Aug 1965, San Francisco, California, USA --- Original caption: Los Angeles Dodgers' catcher John Roseboro suffered a cut on top of his head in 3rd inning during a bat swinging fight with San Francisco Giant pitcher Juan Marichal. It was believed that Marichal got angry when Roseboro fired the ball to close to his head while returning it to pitcher Sandy Koufax. Roseboro throws a punch at Marichal while latter swings bat and Koufax comes in to try and break it up

Name:  10364170_836634576365606_2892716220631320526_n.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  78.7 KB
    Last edited by son of lockman; 05-21-2014 at 05:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah, I saw this earlier. Unbelievable.

They only signed Olivo because AJ Ellis was hurt for awhile, and his timetable for return was unclear. The two backup catchers (Drew Butera and Tim Federowicz) couldn't hit a lick, and the Dodgers got tired of giving away an automatic out in the 8-spot. They grabbed Olivo for something near the minimum, and immediately promoted him to starting catcher. For a few games, this worked out great, as he hit well. However, then he went 0-fer several games in a row, and they decided they'd actually rather go with Butera instead. Shortly after that, Ellis came off the DL and Olivo was sent to AAA.

This couldn't sit very well with Olivo, who already refused an AAA assignment with a different team this year, and essentially got rejected in favor of a backup catcher with a horrible career hitting line.

I imagine Olivo was in a foul mood in general, and he took it out on Guerrero, who has sucked big time defensively. Guerrero is killing the ball at the plate, but the Dodgers don't want to promote him because that would mean sitting either Dee Gordon or Hanley Ramirez, and neither of those guys are gonna be benched.

I think the Dodgers should avoid re-signing Hanley (who will be a free agent in 2015, and seems to be in decline this year), and replace him with Guerrero that year. They should leave him in the minors in 2014 to work on his awful defense.
    Hey look I got a temper but I don't bite peoples ears off. Just slug them in the face. Which believe it or not I just did about a week ago done here.

But f#ck isn't time to start giving people a mental test if they want to play professional sports?

Or is it just for the love of money these general managers sign every jackoff out there they think they can get for nothing. And get nothing but problems.

There aren't any players left like Sandy who would soak his arm in ice after every game he pitched as he was in so much pain ( No DL Bullsh#t in those days). Because there are'nt any players left like Sandy who loved his team. And the highest amount he was ever paid was $125,000 a year. Today if Sandy was pitching he'd make $40,000,000 a year. Flat out.

Name:  10387249_836625469699850_8323694575924026123_n.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  32.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Smile

And if Ruth would of used steroids he'd of hit 1000 home runs. Not to mention he was a pitcher first going W/L record: 94-46 ERA: 2.28

Don't tell me he wasn't the greatest baseball player that ever lived.

Name:  10397984_836645266364537_881646692593742095_n.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  32.9 KB

Sandy would of struck out 500 batters a year and pitched 10 no hitters.

Koufax and Drysdale would pitch 18,19 complete games a year. 6 or 7 shutouts.
    There was no such thing a as ''closer''.

Gas was 19 cents a gallon during a gas war. With gas stations on each corner.
    They'd wash your windows, check your oil, fill your tires with air, rip off a batch of Blue Chip stamps so you could redeem them for something. Sometimes after you fill up 5 times at the station they'd give you a set of drinking glasses or fill your car up with free gas. And you always paid for your gas after you got it.

Go to a movie for 25 cents and see coming attrations, a cartooon, and 2 movies.

''This is not America anymore.'' America is only for the love of money today.

But by not demanding more we the people of this great nation let the greedy monsters get away with their crimes against us.

This is a good video and shows how d#mn good Koufax was.

And I got to see him pitch at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Sandy had a rough day that September 9, 1965 throwing his perfect game and striking out 14. Seemed a little tense in the 9th inning but got the Cubbies. H#ll everyone in the stands was cheering for Sandy.

Games started 314, games won 165, shutouts 40, games completed 137.

And if he hadn't got hurt would of won more than 300 games as he'd pitch evry 3 or 4 days.

Last edited by son of lockman; 05-21-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Load Metric
    story update 5/21 -- Miguel Olivo, the perp, was suspended today

http://www.truebluela.com/2014/5/21/...-a-albuquerque

the official wording is "suspended pending completion of the investigation" -- to me, based on my experience working in large companies with several locations but a centralized human resources function, those words mean: "the decision has been made, you're fired...its just a matter of processing the paperwork"; we will see what those words mean in Dodgerspeak.

Load Metric
    story update 5/21 -- Miguel Olivo, the perp, was suspended today

http://www.truebluela.com/2014/5/21/...-a-albuquerque

the official wording is "suspended pending completion of the investigation" -- to me, based on my experience working in large companies with several locations but a centralized human resources function, those words mean: "the decision has been made, you're fired...its just a matter of processing the paperwork"; we will see what those words mean in Dodgerspeak.
    yep, it was just a matter of processing the termination paperwork...

Olivo released as announced 25 minutes ago

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...uel-olivo.html

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    And if Ruth would of used steroids he'd of hit 1000 home runs. Not to mention he was a pitcher first going W/L record: 94-46 ERA: 2.28

Don't tell me he wasn't the greatest baseball player that ever lived.

Name:  10397984_836645266364537_881646692593742095_n.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  32.9 KB

Sandy would of struck out 500 batters a year and pitched 10 no hitters.

Koufax and Drysdale would pitch 18,19 complete games a year. 6 or 7 shutouts.
    There was no such thing a as ''closer''.

Gas was 19 cents a gallon during a gas war. With gas stations on each corner.
    They'd wash your windows, check your oil, fill your tires with air, rip off a batch of Blue Chip stamps so you could redeem them for something. Sometimes after you fill up 5 times at the station they'd give you a set of drinking glasses or fill your car up with free gas. And you always paid for your gas after you got it.

Go to a movie for 25 cents and see coming attrations, a cartooon, and 2 movies.

''This is not America anymore.'' America is only for the love of money today.

But by not demanding more we the people of this great nation let the greedy monsters get away with their crimes against us.

This is a good video and shows how d#mn good Koufax was.

And I got to see him pitch at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Sandy had a rough day that September 9, 1965 throwing his perfect game and striking out 14. Seemed a little tense in the 9th inning but got the Cubbies. H#ll everyone in the stands was cheering for Sandy.

Games started 314, games won 165, shutouts 40, games completed 137.

And if he hadn't got hurt would of won more than 300 games as he'd pitch evry 3 or 4 days.

and if bonds were on steroids when ruth played he would have hit 1200 hr

Comments

son of lockman: u missed the point man

Load Metric
    update***the biter has a new team, the bitee has resumed baseball training

Miguel Olivo has signed with the Tijuana Toros of the Mexican League, a league of clubs not affiliated with Major League Baseball; the level is Triple A

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...th-a-new-team/

Alex Guerro is at the Dodgers training facility in Arizona

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    update***the biter has a new team, the bitee has resumed baseball training

Miguel Olivo has signed with the Tijuana Toros of the Mexican League, a league of clubs not affiliated with Major League Baseball; the level is Triple A

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...th-a-new-team/

Alex Guerro is at the Dodgers training facility in Arizona
    I don't know if he will ever play in the Majors again. He is 36, at best a backup catcher at this point, and I doubt any team wants the baggage with him, because he doesn't bring enough upside in return.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    Birthdate: 7/15/1978 (41 y, 3 m, 27 d)
    RotoWire News: Olivo - who was brought in from minor league camp - filled in for Trevor Brown (forearm) and went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI in Monday's loss to the Athletics. (3/22/2016)

any updates?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i use to clean up in fantasy baseball 15-20 years ago.

he was once on my team as a backup catcher.

if there was universal betting like there is today i would have cleaned up.

i am retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine box View Post
    RotoWire News: Olivo - who was brought in from minor league camp - filled in for Trevor Brown (forearm) and went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI in Monday's loss to the Athletics. (3/22/2016)

any updates?
    His career has been basically over since the ear-biting incident, and now is totally dead.

The last time he played in a Major League game was 2014.

In 2016, the Giants took a shot at him with a minor league deal, but never promoted him. That's it. He already wasn't hitting well since the beginning of the 2013 season, and he's 41 now.

More interesting was the fate of his victim Alex Guerrero.

In 2015, his first real season, he was crushing it for about 2 months, then fell apart. There was still some optimism about him, as he did hit 11 HR in limited action, and the Dodgers invested $28 million in him.

Then he hurt himself in spring training in 2016, hit just .136 upon returning, and was released by early June. He couldn't find a spot in MLB and now plays in Japan.

I was surprised no team wanted to take a shot at him, though he was 30, so perhaps it was decided his ceiling wasn't actually all that high.

The entire Cuban movement of the early-mid 2010s in MLB was generally a fail.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine box View Post

any updates?
    His career has been basically over since the ear-biting incident, and now is totally dead.

The last time he played in a Major League game was 2014.

In 2016, the Giants took a shot at him with a minor league deal, but never promoted him. That's it. He already wasn't hitting well since the beginning of the 2013 season, and he's 41 now.

More interesting was the fate of his victim Alex Guerrero.

In 2015, his first real season, he was crushing it for about 2 months, then fell apart. There was still some optimism about him, as he did hit 11 HR in limited action, and the Dodgers invested $28 million in him.

Then he hurt himself in spring training in 2016, hit just .136 upon returning, and was released by early June. He couldn't find a spot in MLB and now plays in Japan.

I was surprised no team wanted to take a shot at him, though he was 30, so perhaps it was decided his ceiling wasn't actually all that high.

The entire Cuban movement of the early-mid 2010s in MLB was generally a fail.
    It says Olivo played his last game in 2016.. no matter.. no place in MLB for this nonsense. I wonder what country MLB goes for =next? not joking but some 7 ft+ Pitchers in S.Africa are being primed now.. imagine a 7'5" lefty throwing 110 heat...i await the next wave of talent..

Thread Information