Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sopranos was overrated.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

LOL, you like to shit on everything but you give The Walking Dead a fucking B- ?

The membership committee of the Pretentious Elitist Snobs club wants your card back.
    My gut instinct was to give it a solid C but damned if I cant stop watching it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

LOL, you like to shit on everything but you give The Walking Dead a fucking B- ?

The membership committee of the Pretentious Elitist Snobs club wants your card back.
    I give the Sporanos a B-. There were some great episodes, but quite a few sucked as well. It should have been made into a movie pilot after two years, ala Star Trek.

Load Metric
    Wire/Breaking Bad - A

Sopranos/Mad Men - A-

Louie is right below this first tier but haven't seen season 3 yet.

All the other shows that I like (Boardwalk, Homeland, Girls, House of Cards, Thrones) fall somewhere in the B range.

Dexter is abominable but it's one of those bad shows that I tolerate because my girlfriend likes it. First four seasons were decent.

Load Metric
    Also, is Mad Men still good? I'm beginning to waver..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post

I give the Sporanos a B-. There were some great episodes, but quite a few sucked as well. It should have been made into a movie pilot after two years, ala Star Trek.
    I think a B- is perhaps a touch harsh but I fucking well agree that some moments/plot lines suuuuuuuuUuUUuucked and people just tend to pretend they never happened.

The bottom line for me remains that they started looking to water it down and stretch it out and broaden its appeal and in doing so, made a fuckton of money by roping in the cultural lowest common denominator types at the expense of the shows original brilliance.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The right people seem to like Mad Men but I find myself utterly uncompelled by their reasons for doing so.

Bronze
    Load Metric

I think a B- is perhaps a touch harsh but I fucking well agree that some moments/plot lines suuuuuuuuUuUUuucked and people just tend to pretend they never happened.

The bottom line for me remains that they started looking to water it down and stretch it out and broaden its appeal and in doing so, made a fuckton of money by roping in the cultural lowest common denominator types at the expense of the shows original brilliance.
    Some of the episodes were absolutely awful.

1) That whole deal where the horse got burned to death? WTF

2) When Tony got shot and the dreams? WTF

3) The Gay scenes with the fat guy? WTF

To be fair, when AJ ripped the huge fart when his sister was in his room was one of the greatest moments I have ever seen.

Load Metric

Some of the episodes were absolutely awful.

1) That whole deal where the horse got burned to death? WTF

2) When Tony got shot and the dreams? WTF

3) The Gay scenes with the fat guy? WTF

To be fair, when AJ ripped the huge fart when his sister was in his room was one of the greatest moments I have ever seen.

I just went through the whole 7 seasons, 6 and 7 aren't half as bad as I remember or people say.
    It is just an excellent series.
    I still think Sonatine is just being a contrarian here, and that really he likes it.

While things are still fresh in my mind, the dream thing was 1.5 episodes, 20 minutes of screen time, tops. He was shot end of 6a ep1 and was awake 6a ep3 like 2/3 into it. The last dream where Paulie is talking to him in the hospital room, while in his dream he is mad at the loud next door neighbor in his hotel who won't shut up, was excellent. Anyway, to say 2 episodes of 80, ruined the series is a bit drastic.

The gay scenes did suck. BUT, there was a NJ mob capo (or higher) who was killed for being a homo, and that is what that was based on.
    So I think they over did it, but there was a reason they had a gay story line. (Gotti had a gay guy in his crew)

Don't get your problem w/ the horse, at all. Ralphie was going to make more on the insurance he had on the horse, than if he sold it. Its not like they showed it or killed a horse or anything,
    Now that I'm reading your 4th point, I feel like ass even wasting my time on your post.

Maybe they should have ended after 5 seasons, like the original plan, but those extra 2 seasons were still good.

Bottom line, this show will be watched 100 years from now. It changed TV, it was the first time cable was as good, or better, than the movies.

Load Metric
    Didnt say its a bad show, just said its overrated.

Which it is.

Load Metric
    Didnt say its a bad show, just said its overrated.

Which it is.
    Didn't you recommend Girls and Vikings?

lmao

Load Metric
    I stand by both without reservation.

Load Metric
    Sopranos was great easy A.

Still wondering what happened to the crazy Russian.

Wondering who his wife was in the dreams he had when he got shot. Wasnt eadie falcos voice on the phone. Never listed in credits.

Should have kicked AJs ass a lot sooner.

Is Meadow still into blacks?

How the hell does anything get built in New Jersey?

David Chase, creator of the Sopranos was a writer on the Kolchak, The Night Stalker series. Loved it when I was a kid. Not so good now.

If you run a strip joint, why ever leave?

Ba-da-bing
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    Wire/Breaking Bad - A

Sopranos/Mad Men - A-

Louie is right below this first tier but haven't seen season 3 yet.

All the other shows that I like (Boardwalk, Homeland, Girls, House of Cards, Thrones) fall somewhere in the B range.

Dexter is abominable but it's one of those bad shows that I tolerate because my girlfriend likes it. First four seasons were decent.

Load Metric

Sad.

Load Metric
    I thought the last 2 episodes of Vikings mostly sucked and I suspect the second season will continue that trend.

A good friend of mine has a similar TV series starting this fall, but instead of vikings it's pirates.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Sopranos was great easy A.

Still wondering what happened to the crazy Russian.

Wondering who his wife was in the dreams he had when he got shot. Wasnt eadie falcos voice on the phone. Never listed in credits.

Should have kicked AJs ass a lot sooner.

Is Meadow still into blacks?

How the hell does anything get built in New Jersey?

David Chase, creator of the Sopranos was a writer on the Kolchak, The Night Stalker series. Loved it when I was a kid. Not so good now.

If you run a strip joint, why ever leave?

Ba-da-bing
    I've been reading a lot on the background, (mostly from What's Alan Watching who was w/ the NJ paper that tony had delivered to his house.)
    this link has reviews of every episode he did, (he took over season 4)
    http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/06/sop...the_links.html
    But he seems to know David Chase and has a lot of these exact questions.

Russian just never appeared again and we have no idea what happened.
    "The voice of Purgatory Tony's wife wasn't played by Annabella Sciorra, or any other actress who's been on the show before; she's just a generic non-Carmela female voice."
    I did not remember Meadow actually F'ing that black guy, I was in shock watching it back through, but she ends up w/Pat Parisi,

Which leads me to a criticism.
    One thing the Sopranos did great was bring new characters in like they had been there all along, just not on camera.
    IE Richie Aprile, was Jackie Sr's brother, Ralphie had been in Miami, Feechs and Blundtto, etc in the big bust 20 years ago.
    But they lost that art in season 6.
    What so Vito was a schmuck in season 2, now he has been married into Phil Leotardo's family for 15 years?
    All of a sudden AJ was old friends w/Parisi and Carlo's kids for years? Their dad's were rarely at the Sopranos cookouts, and they for sure were not in AJ's school district.
    1/2 the people w/Tony in the end I had no idea who they were, or where they came from, who they worked for, nothing.

And the college bookies taking 2 toes off a guy who was at most a week late? That was a bit drastic.

Load Metric
    bump.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I need to get on that show Lilyhammer. Brick Top from Snatch and Slyvio from the Sopranos are in it.

Load Metric
    Alan Ford is a living miracle.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your facking jacobs off.

Load Metric
    bump.
    Why bump this thread?
    You were wrong when you make the OP, and you still are.

Its the # 2 crime drama show of all time, w/The Wire # 1.

Thread Information