Thread: Where to live in Las Vegas?

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric

Where to live in Las Vegas?

Got an offer that requires relocating, most likely to the Vegas area.

Would prob rent a house in a residential neighborhood and looking to find out what my options are. Guessing my girlfriend and I would live there for next 2-3 years. Not interested in 2 bedroom apartment for clipping pizza coupons and hoarding jew gold. Pretty sure house needs to have swimming pool and is ideally fairly easy to get around (close to freeways) preferably by a golf course or some decent outdoor recreation area.

I don't know much besides the Vegas housing market is supposed to be really cheap. Want neighborhood that has relatively low crime at a reasonable price. Does this exist? Where?

2 people, no kids, would like to get a dog at some point if yard is decent.

TY

Comments

Belly Buster: residential neighborhood rep

DirtyB: Check PMs

Load Metric
    I lived in Summerlin and it was pretty much exactly what I wanted. Big house, pool, ok food delivery options, pretty much no crime, supermarkets a 5m drive away, jaw dropping views from upstairs..
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Summerland or Henderson...everything else is risky...

in Vegas even homes in gated communities get broken into...Vegas has a big crime problem compared to other cities
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

in Vegas even homes in gated communities get broken into...Vegas has a big crime problem compared to other cities
    Not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

The violent crime rate is better than Albuquerque and Wichita. The robbery rate is better than Mobile and Tulsa.

Load Metric
    Either Green Valley or Summerlin. Can't go wrong with either. Green Valley is going to put you closer to the airport, and you will also deal with less traffic traveling to the Strip. There definitely is a decent amount of good golf courses close to you as well. I prefer Henderson Police too over Metro. They seem to have Henderson on a bit more of a lockdown as far as crime is concerned.

Summerlin's plus side for you would be it puts you closer to a lot more courses. Negative is you will be far from the airport and will have to deal with the Spaghetti bowl whenever traveling to the airport or the Strip.

Barry would probably argue for SW Vegas as well, but personally I would prefer Summerlin or GV. Can't go wrong either way.

Another tidbit of advice... Check into the HOA fees where you are looking, and also Google HOA names of places you are looking at just to make sure you are not signing up for a nightmare situation. HOA's around town can be a bitch.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

Not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

The violent crime rate is better than Albuquerque and Wichita. The robbery rate is better than Mobile and Tulsa.
    I feel a lot safer and less likely to get robbed in Tulsa than I do in Las Vegas - and I was robbed in Tulsa! True Story, my car was broken into that I left in a parking lot outside of a bar, and this was in an upper class part of Tulsa. After all that I still feel safer there than walking around Vegas at night (which I have done many many times)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post

I feel a lot safer and less likely to get robbed in Tulsa than I do in Las Vegas - and I was robbed in Tulsa
    Yet Tulsa has a high rate of robbery crimes.

The Strip is actually really safe. There are cameras everywhere and people know it. The north side and the east side are ghetto shitholes. That's where all of those crime statistics come from.

Thread Information