Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Honestly just hilarious that out of all owners, Monfort is leading the talks. The Rockies are a directionless wasteland of a team.

I'm sure this will all get settled soon.
    Quick review of the last year for the Rockies in case you forgot or didn't notice:

- Traded franchise player Nolan Arenado to STL, and sent $50 million in cash as well. You would think by covering that amount of his contract that they essentially bought a sweet prospect return, right? NOPE. A MLB back-end starter, and 4 marginal prospects, the best being fucking Benji Gil's son, who was a third rounder.

- GM, and some others in the front office quit. Monfort names a quasi-interim GM, but much confusion. Reports come out that other teams had no clue how to even get ahold of who was running the Rockies front office.

- During another lost season, they have two very good players in Story and Gray on final years of their deals. They could each bring solid trade returns. They trade neither. Rumors that they weren't even actively trying to trade them. Story already said he wasn't signing an extension.

- They QO Story, but mysteriously don't do it to Gray, who quickly signs a nice deal with Texas. Rockies literally get nothing in return for losing Gray, who would have turned down the QO anyway.

Really just baffling shit. I legit think that the core of PFA baseball followers could run that team better.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers re-signed Bellinger for one year, $17 million, in order to avoid arbitration.

How?

Apparently they did this in November but chose not to announce it, and then leaked it out two days ago. Bizarre.

The question is if we will get horrendous automatic out regular season Bellinger, or productive playoff Bellinger.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    He’s certainly not playing this year. His trial won’t happen until after Ghislaine’s or Santa’s.

Quite a non story Druff
    Ahhh, it’s nothing really. Dodgers stuff is easy for me.

Name:  7DDF97C6-CB77-4AB7-8D1D-2F0E6B95E772.gif
Views: 311
Size:  1.20 MB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

MLB make some offers to the players union: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-h...aining-session

Among them:

- Universal DH (dislike it)
    - NBA style draft lottery (ok)
    - Elimination of qualifying offer system (ok)
    - 14-team playoff structure (HATE it)

Why even have a 162-game regular season if almost half the teams are going to make the postseason?

Sad!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Why even have a 162-game regular season if almost half the teams are going to make the postseason?

Sad!
    and fin

Once the analytics departments run the math the regular season will become little more than exhibition. This is the current NBA. Too many games and each game’s meaning is diluted.

There is some inexorable force that works to ruin each of the sports. I believe that a generation or two ago there was more fear of a backlash when rules changes were considered. Tradition meant more, especially in baseball.

I also think the nonsense Covid season was a liberating experience in terms of fucking with schedules. Literally any kind stupidity is on the table and folks apparently won’t be too outraged.

I’m furious but I won’t remain so cause I can snap delete

Comments

Dan Druff:

Load Metric
    BUMP

MLB make some offers to the players union: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-h...aining-session

Among them:

Sad!
    Why?

The pitchers hitting is a disaster and creates more jobs. Players should love it.

Playoffs….more TV money should mean more money for the players. And a benefit for MLB in that more playoff games in theory mean more eyes on games. TV ratings suck for most regular season games nationally so why not? Traditional fans not wanting changes are dead or dying. Not sure why the players would be against it.

Seems like the easiest negotiation ever unless the owners believe the game is dying and the players don’t.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    BUMP

Among them:

Sad!
    Why?

The pitchers hitting is a disaster and creates more jobs. Players should love it.

Playoffs….more TV money should mean more money for the players. And a benefit for MLB in that more playoff games in theory mean more eyes on games. TV ratings suck for most regular season games nationally so why not? Traditional fans not wanting changes are dead or dying. Not sure why the players would be against it.

Seems like the easiest negotiation ever unless the owners believe the game is dying and the players don’t.
    The players do like these changes. These are concessions the league is making, and MLB is hoping that will satisfy them into signing a new collective bargaining agreement, which is favorable to the owners in financial ways.

I just hope these changes don't go through (especially the 14 team playoff shit) because that will ruin the regular season. The 10-team thing is already bad enough.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Among them:

Sad!
    Why?

All good points and Druff aint changing his mind on anything. I like to think of myself as a traditionalist cause I like the numbers, but more playoffs is good imo. Better than the NBA midseason tourney being floated.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by padre33 View Post

Why?

All good points and Druff aint changing his mind on anything. I like to think of myself as a traditionalist cause I like the numbers, but more playoffs is good imo. Better than the NBA midseason tourney being floated.
    More playoffs is not good! Baseball has more game-to-game variance than any other major sport, by a wide margin.

Last year's playoffs was a good example. First, the Dodgers had to play a team in a 1-game playoff, despite a 16-game difference in the standings! Then, in the NLDS, they had to face the only team in baseball with a better record than them -- the Giants! This not only risked the Dodgers being out before the division series even started, but also guaranteed that the NLCS would NOT feature the best two teams in the league. Sad!

If we had a 14-team format, the Phillies and Reds, both of which were near .500, would have had the chance to win the World Series if they just got hot at the right time. No good.

In fact, they need to extend the wildcard game to 3 games, to reduce the insane variance.

Another idea is to give the best team in each league a bye to the League Championship series, and then have the other 4 play it out to face them. That would induce some excitement into the race to finish with the best record.

There is a theory that teams chasing the best record simply burn themselves out, and end up losing in the playoffs. That's probably what happened to the 2021 Dodgers, as you could tell Buehler and Scherzer had nothing left, and they had injuries to position players on top of that.

Load Metric

More playoffs is not good! Baseball has more game-to-game variance than any other major sport, by a wide margin.

Last year's playoffs was a good example. First, the Dodgers had to play a team in a 1-game playoff, despite a 16-game difference in the standings! Then, in the NLDS, they had to face the only team in baseball with a better record than them -- the Giants! This not only risked the Dodgers being out before the division series even started, but also guaranteed that the NLCS would NOT feature the best two teams in the league. Sad!

If we had a 14-team format, the Phillies and Reds, both of which were near .500, would have had the chance to win the World Series if they just got hot at the right time. No good.

In fact, they need to extend the wildcard game to 3 games, to reduce the insane variance.

Another idea is to give the best team in each league a bye to the League Championship series, and then have the other 4 play it out to face them. That would induce some excitement into the race to finish with the best record.

There is a theory that teams chasing the best record simply burn themselves out, and end up losing in the playoffs. That's probably what happened to the 2021 Dodgers, as you could tell Buehler and Scherzer had nothing left, and they had injuries to position players on top of that.
    So basically what you're saying is you want the Dodgers to continue purchasing a Division pennant every year so they have a good shot at making the World Series?

Baseball used to be about tradition, but let's face it....it's about the $. More teams = more $$ and they could care less about tradition at this point.

Load Metric
    The Dodgers were not a serious threat by the time the playoffs rolled around. They were running on fumes.

We do this every year.

Lotta shit happened beyond their control admittedly.

However traditionally they do not groom a playoff team.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

So basically what you're saying is you want the Dodgers to continue purchasing a Division pennant every year so they have a good shot at making the World Series?

Baseball used to be about tradition, but let's face it....it's about the $. More teams = more $$ and they could care less about tradition at this point.
    If you want see more control over what teams can purchase, I'm open to that. If you look at the Dodgers, though, they had plenty of homegrown talent and former nobodies who figured prominently into their success for the last several years. Remember, while Max Muncy, Justin Turner, and Chris Taylor didn't start off with the Dodgers, they were considered unwanted trash by all other teams at the time the Dodgers got them. Yes, acquiring Betts was huge, as was the midseason acquisitions of Trea Turner and Max Scherzer, but the bottom line is that this wasn't really a team which bought their way in.

As you saw in the offseason, the Dodgers aren't just an endless fountain of cash. Seager and Scherzer left for more money elsewhere. Kershaw might do the same.

Anyway, this is an entirely different discussion. There should not be 14 playoff teams, regardless of how the salary structure ends up being.

Bronze
    Load Metric

If your only example is your favorite team from last year that you must have the most emotional attachment to I'm gonna have to take with grain of salt. That's just like poker variance. Some years you will win 88 games and win a division. In some ways expanded playoffs makes reg season more important. Not sure how they plan to do it but the top two teams will probably get a bye. So winning one less series is big advantage. If you run away with division you still have to play for the bye, while also considering resting important pitchers at times.

Load Metric

If not for the WC the Dodgers would’ve had the second best record in MLB and missed the playoffs just saying.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

If you want see more control over what teams can purchase, I'm open to that. If you look at the Dodgers, though, they had plenty of homegrown talent and former nobodies who figured prominently into their success for the last several years. Remember, while Max Muncy, Justin Turner, and Chris Taylor didn't start off with the Dodgers, they were considered unwanted trash by all other teams at the time the Dodgers got them. Yes, acquiring Betts was huge, as was the midseason acquisitions of Trea Turner and Max Scherzer, but the bottom line is that this wasn't really a team which bought their way in.

As you saw in the offseason, the Dodgers aren't just an endless fountain of cash. Seager and Scherzer left for more money elsewhere. Kershaw might do the same.

Anyway, this is an entirely different discussion. There should not be 14 playoff teams, regardless of how the salary structure ends up being.
    I agree with most of your other views regarding the proposed changes. I still had to laugh at this re-hashing of the late 90's Yankee defense.

"Posada, Jeter, Bernie, Petitte...HOMEGROWN!"

Yeah, 4 out of 25 guys. 10 others were high priced free agents/trades

Load Metric
    Aside from the record setting payroll, that is.

Name:  98DF5699-AE33-4BFF-8DC8-166E6799BE7A.jpeg
Views: 347
Size:  372.4 KB

And then there is this timeless classic

Name:  4114BA30-5D24-49D4-8C16-C8E1677214D0.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  34.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I agree with most of your other views regarding the proposed changes. I still had to laugh at this re-hashing of the late 90's Yankee defense.

"Posada, Jeter, Bernie, Petitte...HOMEGROWN!"

Yeah, 4 out of 25 guys. 10 others were high priced free agents/trades
    In this case, it's true.

Look at the main players up until the deadline trade for Trea Turner and Scherzer:

C Will Smith - Homegrown
    1B Max Muncy - acquired from trash heap
    2B Chris Taylor - acquired from trash heap
    3B Justin Turner - acquired from trash heap
    SS Corey Seager - Homegrown
    OF Mookie Betts - free agent signing
    OF Cody Bellinger - Homegrown
    OF AJ Pollock - free agent signing
    P Walker Buehler - Homegrown
    P Trevor Bauer (suspended) - free agent signing
    P Clayton Kershaw - Homegrown
    P Julio Urias - Homegrown
    P Tony Gonsolin - Homegrown
    P Dustin May (injured) - Homegrown
    CL Kenley Jansen - Homegrown

So as you see, with only a few exceptions, this was a homegrown team. The payroll was artificially high because the Dodgers had to eat Bauer's contract for the second half of the year, and then assume Scherzer's. Scherzer was the Bauer replacement -- he wouldn't have been acquired if Bauer hadn't gotten himself suspended for the year.

Yes, the Dodgers had the money to spend on Betts, Bauer, and then Bauer's replacement Scherzer, and they had the money to re-sign a number of their own (expensive) free agents. However, this really was a team mostly built from the minors -- not just one which had 4 main homegrown guys and the rest bought.

In fact, prior to the opening up of the pocketbook for Betts and Bauer, the Dodgers were criticized for several years for not spending the money to acquire the final pieces necessary to win a championship, but instead hoarding homegrown talent.

Load Metric
    In fact, prior to the opening up of the pocketbook for Betts and Bauer, the Dodgers were criticized for several years for not spending the money to acquire the final pieces necessary to win a championship, but instead hoarding homegrown talent.
    The Dodgers have always had the highest payroll. No, it doesn’t make it to the field. Nobody ever said they were smart.

Druff is correct here though. I guess the statute of limitations has run out cause Druff is finally admitting what everyone else knew before the (playoff) games were played. Druff is inferring that the final pieces be some big splash. This is wrong. Most often it was a bullpen piece or two. Not extraordinary stuff at the trade deadline. They always over valued prospects.

Maybe the “prospects” ended up making the club but they never won a championship for want of a piece or two. The Dodgers until this past year or two were fine with that. The fan base finally had enough with being the Buffalo Bills or the ‘90’s Braves.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Not looking good for a 162-game 2022 season.

Major League Baseball will begin canceling regular-season games if the league and the MLBPA can't come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement by Monday [Feb 28], a league spokesperson said Wednesday.

The games would not be made up and players would not be paid full-season salaries, the spokesperson said.

"A deadline is a deadline," the spokesperson said. "Missed games are missed games. Salary will not be paid for those games."
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...reached-monday

So far it's not looking very good. According to this ESPN article, the players union feels that the owners are barely budging on anything: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...on-games-looms

Load Metric
    It is a capital crime against mathematics to play a 162-game regular season and then have 14 teams in a playoff.

I will be issuing my own economic sanctions against the MLB. I quit NBA regular season long ago and I can do the same here.

Thread Information