View Poll Results: What should Brianne and Tommy do in this situation?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree to pay the $2000

3 10.00%
  • Negotiate it down to $1000, or otherwise refuse to pay

1 3.33%
  • Negotiate it down to $500, or otherwise refuse to pay

3 10.00%
  • Demand a full accounting of verifiable replacement cost, and not pay otherwise

15 50.00%
  • Agree to pay only for damage Brianne's kids caused (not Marie's)

1 3.33%
  • Refuse to pay anything

4 13.33%
  • Other

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Make the Call: Damaged Banquet Chocolates Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

You Make the Call: Damaged Banquet Chocolates Edition

NOTE: This story, while true, is NOT about me or anyone related to me.

--------------------------

"Tommy" and his girlfriend "Brianne" went to stay at Resorts World. Brianne and Tommy live together, and she has two kids from a previous relationship. Tommy has one grown kid, who doesn't live with them. Brianne also has a friend who lives in Vegas, named "Marie", who also has kids.

Marie and her kids came down to visit Brianne at Resorts World. It should be noted that Marie was NOT staying with them, but was simply visiting.

Sometime during the evening, the adults decided to go out together, and leave the kids (the oldest of whom was 13) alone together.

Even though they were told to stay in the room, the kids in the 9-11 age range got bored and decided to wander around the property. The 13-year-old stayed in the room to watch toddler, who was also there. She told the other kids not to leave, but they did anyway. They found a conference room, turned into a Banquet Hall, and it was all set up for a charity event to honor the CEO of Genting, which is the company which owns Resorts World.

The gala is scheduled for October 16, but for whatever reason, was set up early.

Among other things, each seat at the gala has a custom large chocolate shaped like a heart, and is about 8 inches tall.

Name:  poweroflove-resorts.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  141.5 KB

The kids saw the chocolate hearts and couldn't resist. Brianne's younger daughter took some of them for herself. Marie's kids were bigger troublemakers, both stealing chocolates AND smashing some of the chocolates for fun.

When Resorts World staff eventually showed up (after the kids were already gone), they were horrified to see that 52 of these chocolate hearts were either stolen or destroyed.

The pulled up the security camera, and were able to follow the kids to the elevator, and see what floor they went to. However, without cameras in the hallway, they were unable to see which room ultimately entered. Security went to that floor, "followed the path of broken chocolates", and found the correct room!

At 9am, security banged on the door. Brianne answered, and found 10 security guards there (lol). She was told what happened, and she said that was the first she heard of it. Security then informed her that they would be billing the room $2000 for the 52 destroyed chocolate hearts. I'm not saying something like $2013.50. Exactly $2000.

They did not give justification as to how that damaged added up to exactly $2000, nor would they provide such a thing.

If you were Brianne and Tommy, what would you do at that point? Vote above, and comment below.

Note that, if this doesn't get resolved, there is a fair chance Brianne and Tommy will be banned from Resorts World.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Before you vote, consider the following:

- Resorts World said the damage was $2000. How was it exactly $2000? Is it posssible this was being padded as sort of a "fine" for this?

- The credit card on file for the room is probably only to cover damage to the room -- not damage to the general property. So there's a question whether Resorts World can auto-charge them, rather than sue/bill them.

- Resorts World will not provide proof that the chocolates will cost $2000 to replace.

- Marie and her kids were not staying overnight, nor was Marie a registered guest. Therefore, Brianne probably can't be legally held responsible for damage caused by someone else's kids -- only her own.

However, Resorts World could argue back that you're responsible for your own damage AND the damage of your guests, and that the credit card on the room covers all damage to the property, not just your own room. They could also argue that there is a labor cost to replacing and cleaning all of this, and it's not just the cost of the chocolates themselves.

Definitely Brianne owes and should pay something here. But what is the right approach? What would you do, aside from possibly beating your kid for this?

Load Metric
    Honestly, this would make a really good bar exam question. Have to think about it. Love Resorts World. Really nice poker room and the best food court on the Strip. Too pricey for me to stay there though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Honestly, this would make a really good bar exam question. Have to think about it. Love Resorts World. Really nice poker room and the best food court on the Strip. Too pricey for me to stay there though.
    I thought that, too.

Seems like a lot of legal concepts at play here. I have my guesses for some of them, but I'm really not sure about any.

Load Metric
    Offer them about tree fiddy and call it a day.. This $2k seems bullshit and I agree arbitrary at best.. Besides would it be such a horrible thing to be banned at Resorts World so far it seems like no big loss from everything thats come out about it.. If it was tied to MGM or Ceasers it would be a bigger problem.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Tell Resorts World to go pound sand and suggest that they do a better job of securing the banquet area. Accept your subsequent imminent ban. Punish ALL of the children, including the 13 year old. Everyone involved learns lesson. /THREAD

Load Metric
    aw you cheapskate Druff...ask your lawyer friend Eric rather than trying to pimp some legal advice here

so you have to give up to him some ad time on the radio show--not like you have anyone else wanting to buy time
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Before you vote, consider the following:

- Resorts World said the damage was $2000. How was it exactly $2000? Is it posssible this was being padded as sort of a "fine" for this?

- The credit card on file for the room is probably only to cover damage to the room -- not damage to the general property. So there's a question whether Resorts World can auto-charge them, rather than sue/bill them.

- Resorts World will not provide proof that the chocolates will cost $2000 to replace.

- Marie and her kids were not staying overnight, nor was Marie a registered guest. Therefore, Brianne probably can't be legally held responsible for damage caused by someone else's kids -- only her own.

However, Resorts World could argue back that you're responsible for your own damage AND the damage of your guests, and that the credit card on the room covers all damage to the property, not just your own room. They could also argue that there is a labor cost to replacing and cleaning all of this, and it's not just the cost of the chocolates themselves.

Definitely Brianne owes and should pay something here. But what is the right approach? What would you do, aside from possibly beating your kid for this?

being Brianne let Maries Children have access and grant supervision to Briannes 13 yr old.... Yes Brianne is on the hook, Marie shd pay at least 1/2..imi.,.im not a lawyer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine box View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    being Brianne let Maries Children have access and grant supervision to Briannes 13 yr old.... Yes Brianne is on the hook, Marie shd pay at least 1/2..imi.,.im not a lawyer
    I agree Marie should cough up half, but truthfully Brianne is too nice to ask her for it. But morally, yes she should pay half of whatever is ultimately paid here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tbuck27 View Post
    Tell Resorts World to go pound sand and suggest that they do a better job of securing the banquet area. Accept your subsequent imminent ban. Punish ALL of the children, including the 13 year old. Everyone involved learns lesson. /THREAD
    That was my first thought, how the fuck is that room just open? Just as good odds of some drunk frat boys doing the same thing.

I voted with what seems to be the majority, ask for exact accounting before paying. Truth be told, I would not be surprised if its close to $2000, depending on quality of chocolate. Even with cheaper chocolate, the whole custom design and whatnot I'd bet minimum of $15 each.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Tell them to pound sand. 2000 bucks lol, yeah right.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, so a bit more details.

Brianne objected to the $2k, saying it was too high. After some arguing, they came down to $1300, which is $25 for each chocolate. Brianne still refused, but that was as low as they would go at the time, believing they could just charge Tommy's credit card at checkout.

Tommy wasn't happy with the $1300 charge, given their refusal to give him any form of accounting of the charges. He quickly called up the credit card company, and closed it. This prevented them from auto-charging his card.

He owed about $400 for unrelated room charges. At checkout, he paid that amount in cash, and then told them to bill him for the chocolates, and that he'd be discussing it in the future.

Again, I informed Tommy that he and Brianne would likely be banned if this wasn't settled in some way. I also told him that he should get an agreement in writing that he wouldn't be banned, once they settle on an amount. I told him I was a bit worried that they'd take his money and then ban him anyway!

It is my opinion that, aside from avoiding a ban, Tommy/Brianne shouldn't pay a penny until they get a full and verifiable accounting of expenses. They should also get an explanation as to why the $2000 figure suddenly became $1300 upon objection. That by itself is evidence that the original figure was some form of fine for what happened, which of course is inappropriate here. It also gives more justification to want to learn the REAL figure for replacement.

While I agree the room should have been locked (especially because the event wasn't happening for another 9 days), this can't be blamed on Resorts World. The responsibility to pay for this falls upon the shoulders of the ones who caused the damage -- or in this case, the parents. I still feel that Brianne has a reasonable case to state that she should only be responsible for the damage her own kids caused, and that they can track down her friend Marie for the remainder, and attempt to bill her (but also not give out Marie's info).

However, given that ban avoidance is probably a goal here, Brianne and Tommy should probably approach this with an attitude of, "We want to be responsible and make this right, but we also don't want to be gouged or fined". They should speak to a high manager about this, and not security, obviously. Typically hotels will work with you regarding damage payments, if you express a willingness to pay. Now that they cancelled the credit card, Tommy and Brianne are in the driver's seat here.

However, sometimes hotels are really shitty about damages, even if it's not the guest's fault. At Harrah's, when a defective bathroom sliding door shattered, they attempted to bill the guest $1500, despite the fact that he got injured and was willing to let it go.

Gold
    Load Metric
    what happened to the kids? did someone get an ass beating for allowing these kids out of the room? The one that let the kids out should be punished the most. They're all lucky it was just a bunch of silly kids having fun and that it didn't end in something far more terrible than what happened. The decision to leave kids alone like this is also a bit reckless IMO

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    what happened to the kids? did someone get an ass beating for allowing these kids out of the room? The one that let the kids out should be punished the most. They're all lucky it was just a bunch of silly kids having fun and that it didn't end in something far more terrible than what happened. The decision to leave kids alone like this is also a bit reckless IMO
    It was a 13-year-old in charge. The other kids just left and the 13-year-old kept saying not to, and the kids didn't listen.

The 13-year-old was watching a baby and couldn't chase after them. She should've called Brianne, but for whatever reason she didn't.

Gold
    Load Metric
    It was a 13-year-old in charge. The other kids just left and the 13-year-old kept saying not to, and the kids didn't listen.

The 13-year-old was watching a baby and couldn't chase after them. She should've called Brianne, but for whatever reason she didn't.
    I'd never say my kids were always safe and well behaved but these parents really fucked up. What the hell were they thinking leaving a baby 2 others with a 13 year old anyway? The parents are lucky they didn't get reported to child services and they're more lucky nothing bad happened to any of the kids.

Load Metric

I'd never say my kids were always safe and well behaved but these parents really fucked up. What the hell were they thinking leaving a baby 2 others with a 13 year old anyway? The parents are lucky they didn't get reported to child services and they're more lucky nothing bad happened to any of the kids.
    I’d want a bill, but seems fairly in line at $1300.

I agree with country. Leaving a 13 year old with a toddler at home is one thing, but in a hotel tasked with also watching other kids who weren’t even all her siblings? That’s idiotic and I’d have been worried about CPS getting called.

I see this a lot. Really young kids running the halls unsupervised. I used to see it at wrestling tournaments where I knew the parents, and they were moms who were convinced pedophilia and human trafficking were on some huge upswing and have hashtags with #savethechildren while letting their kids run around hallways. Seemed really weird and dangerous.

It would seem a 13 year old mature enough to watch a toddler and other kids would be mature enough to make a quick call if the younger kids defied her. If not, you’ve made a poor decision.

Split the bill for $650 each and be happy your kids are safe, CPS wasn’t called, and punish them appropriately.

Load Metric
    I will say that there is a good chance the party being accused has passed along this story to druff and minimized the incident. I think a lot more could be going on.

If damages were really over 1k$ hotel should have called police and this would have given them huge leverage.

Again I'm 99% sure unless you are getting the hotels versions things are being minimized. So my question is which of the three parties gave you this story? I'm assuming the couple renting the room.

Silver
    Load Metric
    There was someone who said the 13 year old should have been punished, but my thoughts were WHY. She stayed behind and watched the Toddler like a responsible Babysitter! She told the younger kids not to leave and they went ahead and did what they wanted! She did the right thing!" But someone pointed out she could have called at least one of the Parents and didn't. THAT she should have gotten into trouble for for not at least calling one of the Parents. But to be fair, she is just a kid herself, only 13. She shouldn't have been tasked to watch Multiple kids by herself. A couple of say a 4 and a 5 year old who are her Brother and Sister? Sure. Multiple Kids, some who aren't even her own Family? Not so sure.

Load Metric
    Stop complaining, would ya? Genting is running that site at a loss.

Comments

tigerpiper: Stalin operated Russia at a loss rep

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Those chocolate decorative pieces look quite exquisite. $25 a piece for them is probably the true replacement cost the vendor would charge Resorts World.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information