Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I was robbed by a local company for 2700. Whats my best move?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post
    The website idea seems like a great one but this guy seems to have dug his heels in and ready to fight tooth and nail. Everyone I have talked to about this other well companies included can’t believe he won’t give back deposit. We are busy and really didn’t want to have to sue this crook but he leaves us no choice. My better half surly didn’t want to go this route as she has never even had a parking ticket or been in court other then jury duty
    I would do the same thing. Definitely file in small claims court. The only problem in small claims is that the judges tend to just rule on emotion rather than law, but if you present this well, the optics will be on your side.

Since the judge won't understand the well digging industry well, be sure to be very clear that the company was supposed to be the experts, missed an obvious requirement they should have known about, misquoted you, raised the price by over 100%, and wouldn't give you your deposit back when you didn't want to go with them. Definitely also throw in your suspicion that they did this on purpose in order to rope you in to an $11k job. Use the term "bait and switch".
    Thanks. I can use all the advice you are giving. Should I hire a lawyer? If so can I add that on the amount of lawsuit? I would like to have a lawyer do all the talking if possible. I can pass along the good things you are pointing out
    -Allergic to the struggle

Bronze
    Load Metric

I would do the same thing. Definitely file in small claims court. The only problem in small claims is that the judges tend to just rule on emotion rather than law, but if you present this well, the optics will be on your side.

Since the judge won't understand the well digging industry well, be sure to be very clear that the company was supposed to be the experts, missed an obvious requirement they should have known about, misquoted you, raised the price by over 100%, and wouldn't give you your deposit back when you didn't want to go with them. Definitely also throw in your suspicion that they did this on purpose in order to rope you in to an $11k job. Use the term "bait and switch".
    Thanks. I can use all the advice you are giving. Should I hire a lawyer? If so can I add that on the amount of lawsuit? I would like to have a lawyer do all the talking if possible. I can pass along the good things you are pointing out
    Tell them you want the original well drilled and when they refuse tell them they are breaking contract and you want your deposit refunded. Stop being so thick.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post

agree with this get a few other quotes and see how close they are to the 11k but in general extra work equals extra cost to you. there kinda jerks to not offer your deposit back altho you haven't said if they had done something to justify the hold back.

at some point a "estimate" changed to a "Quote" and changed the dynamics and relationship between contractors and their customers.

when you were informed the extra work would be needed (after initial quote you it would be unreasonable to expect the quote would stand) given the new information.

I almost never do projects on a quoted price unless it is a fairly simple task. cost plus materials is the better fair way of doing business IMO.
    Yes I understand that it would cost more given health department requirements. The question here is are they allowed by law to keep deposit given new price of 11k? Contract does say no refunds on deposit but it also says 5400 for well.
    Lawyer. You’ll probably win but will also lose financially. In three years set fire to there site…….just kidding kinda

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    Tell them you want the original well drilled and when they refuse tell them they are breaking contract and you want your deposit refunded. Stop being so thick.
    That’s pretty good

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    They can’t drill regular well, They are aware of the health department requirements. Plus they won’t talk to me. The owner is ducking me and they have a white trash low life bitch running the office. She is real low end. She thinks you can steal 2700 and the victim will just go away. I told that bitch and the owner they will never get away with this

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Yes I understand that it would cost more given health department requirements. The question here is are they allowed by law to keep deposit given new price of 11k? Contract does say no refunds on deposit but it also says 5400 for well.
    Lawyer. You’ll probably win but will also lose financially. In three years set fire to there site…….just kidding kinda
    I was with you tell you said just kidding. Hehe

Load Metric
    so were going no on you living in the parking lot and tanking their yelp pizza reviews, did you inform them you have a 2003 corvette with a custom license plate

Load Metric
    I just ask google about the lawyer. I can’t add lawyer fees to the amount. Looks like we will go it alone. No lawyer but I still might check some prices for a lawyer. Although I am not a Jew I often feel like I am. At times I want to check deep in family tree must be a Jew in there somewhere

Load Metric
    depending on how you paid them, your bank or credit card company may well be willing to help you out on something like this. They're lousy with lawyers who need something to do.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    so were going no on you living in the parking lot and tanking their yelp pizza reviews, did you inform them you have a 2003 corvette with a custom license plate
    Correct no on living in the parking lot. You must have missed it. Vette was traded in for a new 2016 vette with regular license plate. Then that was traded in for 2018 Toyota. I do feel the need for speed again but no new vetts available atm because GM are idiots

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    depending on how you paid them, your bank or credit card company may well be willing to help you out on something like this. They're lousy with lawyers who need something to do.
    Paid with C.C for just this reason. Just received letter today and the assholes said contract is valid. We have been waiting weeks for the bank to charge this back. Still will call the bank Monday morning and let them explain how this is valid, They have did zero work and over doubled the price. Which is why we have to go the small claims route.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just ask google about the lawyer. I can’t add lawyer fees to the amount. Looks like we will go it alone. No lawyer but I still might check some prices for a lawyer. Although I am not a Jew I often feel like I am. At times I want to check deep in family tree must be a Jew in there somewhere
    Correct. You need to take this to small claims.

You don't hire lawyers when suing for $2700, unless you are actually willing to burn more money than you win, in order to get back at the other guy.

If you want to walk away with $, you use small claims for something like this.

Load Metric
    Correct. You need to take this to small claims.

You don't hire lawyers when suing for $2700, unless you are actually willing to burn more money than you win, in order to get back at the other guy.

If you want to walk away with $, you use small claims for something like this.
    Ok looks like we will be at the courthouse filing Monday morning. Can’t let this guy get away with this. We have 3 places sitting empty that need work so we can rent them. Last thing we needed was this BS. Really we should be able to add on for all the lost time and headache this has already caused.

Load Metric
    Have you gotten quotes from other companies for the new well done correctly? If it’s close to the $11,000 then just have the original company do it and move on.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Have you gotten quotes from other companies for the new well done correctly? If it’s close to the $11,000 then just have the original company do it and move on.
    I am hearing it is close to 11k. Problem is owner was supposed to call 3 weeks ago to work it out and never did.We are past the point of return now

Load Metric
    I am hearing it is close to 11k. Problem is owner was supposed to call 3 weeks ago to work it out and never did.We are past the point of return now
    That fact makes it 1000% you’ll win in court. You want them to complete the work and they won’t.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We signed a contract with a local company to have a new well drilled for 5400. We put deposit of 2700 down. Health department came back with special requirements for well because we don’t have the required 75 feet setback from septic tank. So well company raised the price to 11,000. I told them to pound sand and refund deposit. They told me no refunds which is stated in contract. Is this illegal? We didn’t cancel 5400 well as contract states. We canceled 11,000 well. According to them they can raise price to whatever they want if you don’t like it they steal deposit.
    Invest in a shady crypto

Load Metric
    That fact makes it 1000% you’ll win in court. You want them to complete the work and they won’t.
    They never started the work to begin with. Once we checked into how much a well like this costs we were not against paying them a big number to do the job but owner lied about calling us to work this out and blocked our phone numbers. The thing is like Druff pointed out they knew from the beginning we didn’t have the required setback and should have never priced well at 5400. The place is all remodeled and been ready to rent for months except no water, So we have no choice but to pay a company whatever it costs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    We signed a contract with a local company to have a new well drilled for 5400. We put deposit of 2700 down. Health department came back with special requirements for well because we don’t have the required 75 feet setback from septic tank. So well company raised the price to 11,000. I told them to pound sand and refund deposit. They told me no refunds which is stated in contract. Is this illegal? We didn’t cancel 5400 well as contract states. We canceled 11,000 well. According to them they can raise price to whatever they want if you don’t like it they steal deposit.
    Invest in a shady crypto
    Not even about the money at this point. Honestly the 2700 won’t change our life’s for a second win or lose. Not bragging but in reality it means nothing. The fact this low life robbed us keeps me up at night. The fact this company can continue to cheat and steal from other customers hiding behind that garbage contract makes me want to expose them and get the word out.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah honestly the biggest fail on their part was fucking up the original quote despite being the supposed experts in well drilling.

So basically they gave you a quote which was 50% too low because of this fuckup, got you to agree to it and give a deposit, and they don't want to let you out of it because the job is far more than they originally quoted due to their own oversight. I can't see that standing up in court.

You might even have a case regarding forcing them to do the job for $5400 instead of $11k, but you probably don't want to compel them to the job while resenting you. But LOL at thinking they can keep their deposit over this.

Thread Information