Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    You just know that they are not going to leave this shit alone. Expect another "Breaking Bad" sequel.

the show runner has indicated he wants to do anything but another show in this universe. ever.

he might change his mind someday but its not to be counted on.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

It just didn’t sit well with me. I seem to be the only one as people love it. I’ve thought about why I didn’t love the end as I wasn’t even sure. The show was great.

What I didn’t like is that Saul was always Saul. He was Saul when he was slippin Jimmy.

He was Saul when he was with Kim.

I see a lot of reviews or commentary saying something along the lines of Kim was the only thing that ever kept him grounded or something nonsensical, but she got off on it. The whole we are bad together didn’t even ring true as that she got off on it and that he was already that guy is the only reason they ever were together. Showing her backstory, and why she got off on it was a highlight. She simply, in the end, didn’t have his tolerance for the ramifications.

At times he reeled her in, particularly at the end.

The whole Walter couldn’t have got away with it without me mea culpa at the end. The first time Walter met Saul, it was “don’t worry, I’ll get Badger a deal. “

Then he realizes they don’t want him to get a deal and he’s angry that a prison shanking is out of the question. He broke bad long before any of them. They broke bad, he always was that guy. That he might not get his hands dirty is irrelevant, he’d be the guy who would make the call.

So the whole I saw opportunity and it led to these horrible events doesn’t ring true, as he was someone suggesting eliminating the problem through a prison shanking on day one.

Dudes like him don’t change. It took a life event to make Walter break bad. Jesse was always conflicted. We saw their descent. Saul was always Saul. He simply lacked a law degree as slippin Jimmy. The minute he got one, he endeavored to become Saul.

There was never an ounce of this is wrong, only self-preservation. That dude doesn’t fall on the sword, ever. That’s my problem with the end.

Forgot to put in spoilers as I can’t imagine opening the thread if I hadn’t watched it.

Comments

country978: thanks bcr. i havent watched it yet. waiting for netflix
    Last edited by BCR; 08-17-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

It just didn’t sit well with me. I seem to be the only one as people love it. I’ve thought about why I didn’t love the end as I wasn’t even sure. The show was great.

What I didn’t like is that Saul was always Saul. He was Saul when he was slippin Jimmy.

I see a lot of reviews or commentary saying something along the lines of Kim was the only thing that ever kept him grounded or something nonsensical, but she got off on it. The whole we are bad together didn’t even ring true as that she got off on it and that he was already that guy is the only reason they ever were together. Showing her backstory, and why she got off on it was a highlight. She simply, in the end, didn’t have his tolerance for the ramifications.

The whole Walter couldn’t have got away with it without me mea culpa at the end. The first time Walter met Saul, it was “don’t worry, I’ll get Badger a deal. “

Then he realizes they don’t want him to get a deal and he’s angry that a prison shanking is out of the question. He broke bad long before any of them. They broke bad, he always was that guy. That he might not get his hands dirty is irrelevant, he’d be the guy who would make the call.

So the whole I saw opportunity and it led to these horrible events doesn’t ring true, as he was someone suggesting eliminating the problem through a prison shanking on day one.

Dudes like him don’t change. It took a life event to make Walter break bad. Jesse was always conflicted. We saw their descent. Saul was always Saul. He simply lacked a law degree as slippin Jimmy. The minute he got one, he endeavored to become Saul.

There was never an ounce of this is wrong, only self-preservation. That dude doesn’t fall on the sword, ever. That’s my problem with the end.

Forgot to put in spoilers as I can’t imagine opening the thread if I hadn’t watched it.
    Does Kim share a cigarette with him in prison at the end if he doesn’t fall on his sword?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

Does Kim share a cigarette with him in prison at the end if he doesn’t fall on his sword?

Maybe? Probably not?

She had already covered for him the previous week at a point when she was in full confession mode to Howard’s widow.

She knew he was alive, yet claimed to not know if he was still out there.

He also didn’t need to fall on his sword for her. They had her information for a month. Once they got Saul, he got his deal, and it had nothing to do with her initially.

She got an innocent guy killed herself and would walk. Howard was on her. Would she resent Saul for being Saul serving 8 years instead of 80? Probably. Because it bother her and she would view him as not caring.

Doesn’t matter. It isn’t like when she left he went the straight and narrow and tried to win her back over the course of years. That’s a love story. He didn’t do that, because that’s not who he was. He wasn’t willing to change because he couldn’t when he could have had a life with her. Now he can for a yearly smoke?

Comments

devidee: I don’t know man. I was really stoned when I watched it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

Maybe? Probably not?

She had already covered for him the previous week at a point when she was in full confession mode to Howard’s widow.

She knew he was alive, yet claimed to not know if he was still out there.

He also didn’t need to fall on his sword for her. They had her information for a month. Once they got Saul, he got his deal, and it had nothing to do with her initially.

She got an innocent guy killed herself and would walk. Howard was on her. Would she resent Saul for being Saul serving 8 years instead of 80? Probably. Because it bother her and she would view him as not caring.

Doesn’t matter. It isn’t like when she left he went the straight and narrow and tried to win her back over the course of years. That’s a love story. He didn’t do that, because that’s not who he was. He wasn’t willing to change because he couldn’t when he could have had a life with her. Now he can for a yearly smoke?

im still processing it as well and theres a lot going on that i cant get past, particularly him just saying 'instead of being in a country club for 7 years im going to die in a max security prison'.

im really, really, really trying to understand what he gets for that and i dont think kim is enough, and i dont think proving his nay sayers wrong is enough.

its not enough to justify it.

even if it somehow spares kim from her civil suit, and afaik i dont think anything he did changes that.

what does temper the unease with the ending, is that when youre on the run, its literal hell. its a form of psychological torment. but .. if that was part of this, maybe they should have gone out of their way to say so?

so i dont know, the more i think about it, the more i think its a flawed ending, albeit a gorgeously executed one.

i just cant get behind him dying in prison. not without SOME sort of narrative to justify it. leaving it all up to us to work out makes me think that either they had to panic re-edit it because they fumbled something and couldnt reshoot or that they just somehow wanted to let jimmy's evolution past being slipping jimmy stand on its own as a fulcrum.

so yeah im not like shitty about it, but ngl, i share a lot of your concerns, having given it some thought.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    from an interview with Gould;

How important was it to the end of Kim’s story that Jimmy be behind bars?

I think that Kim was on her own journey. I don’t know that Jimmy being behind bars is axiomatic for her. But I think the fact that they both confess, they both unloaded their consciences, they are both living more honest lives, that is the core of the ending.

fuckin... i dont know man.....

like again i dont _hate_ hate the ending, i just wish he had maybe gotten the original 30 years? like let the man have something to live/strive/work for, is my point here. toss us some fucking hope.

but fuck it, jimmy actually seems happy in jail. weird shit man, not super comfy with this one.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    from an interview with Gould;

How important was it to the end of Kim’s story that Jimmy be behind bars?

I think that Kim was on her own journey. I don’t know that Jimmy being behind bars is axiomatic for her. But I think the fact that they both confess, they both unloaded their consciences, they are both living more honest lives, that is the core of the ending.

fuckin... i dont know man.....

like again i dont _hate_ hate the ending, i just wish he had maybe gotten the original 30 years? like let the man have something to live/strive/work for, is my point here. toss us some fucking hope.

but fuck it, jimmy actually seems happy in jail. weird shit man, not super comfy with this one.

I think Gould's trite sentiment encapsulates a lot.

Feels like a million years about but Jimmy's been carrying around the guilt of getting his brother to hels and obviously made zero attempt to process this, just leaning more and more into Saul. Reacted the same when Kim left him. Obviously he's a piece of shit but probably not Walter White level sociopath.

Throw in all of the Breaking Bad shit that he was complicit in, the soul drain of lamming it in Nebraska, flirting with murdering Carol Burnett etc. A tiny corner of his soul is better than that and demonstrating this to Kim is the one thing he can cling to behind bars where he no longer has to be on.

Agree about why not 30 years versus 86 but felt like a very old time noir ending that sticks with you more because it's not saccharine or even satisfying.

Honestly the complexity of the writing has me thinking Breaking Bad may be trash by comparison now; its ending definitely is.

Comments

sonatine: BB was always a very 'pop' take on very dark subject matter. at its core it was for mass consumption. BCS? sophisticated story about regret and redemption.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

was prison his time machine?

Comments

devidee: I don’t know man. I was really stoned while reading this.

Load Metric

maybe man. This show had me doing this for the last month. Waking up the next day pondering the whole thing. I was rewatching the phone booth scene on YouTube 3 episodes back and caught the title of the next episode was waterworks. I thought of Kim and knew she was working at sprinkler company, but then saw a comment someone made saying that’s also two spots before go to jail on monopoly and there were 2 episodes left, and I just knew both were right. They put that much thought into everything.

Comments

sonatine: fucking incredible

Load Metric
    Yeah, the observation was so right on and just perfect for those dudes that I regretted catching it as I knew it couldn’t be a coincidence.

Load Metric
    Yeah, the observation was so right on and just perfect for those dudes that I regretted catching it as I knew it couldn’t be a coincidence.
    I thought it was because she cried on the train/bus. But I was, well, you know.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Total horseshit ending that would only happen in a fairytale.

Load Metric

same vibe tbh

Load Metric
    bob tweeted that jimmy is in a better place and hes glad where he left things with the finale and i feel like thats kinda valid but when i compare this to series finales like The Leftovers im like ok, well, its nice that youre good with it i guess.

also honestly am i really going to mope over a B+ ending in a world where thats so far above par?

Load Metric
    bob tweeted that jimmy is in a better place and hes glad where he left things with the finale and i feel like thats kinda valid but when i compare this to series finales like The Leftovers im like ok, well, its nice that youre good with it i guess.

also honestly am i really going to mope over a B+ ending in a world where thats so far above par?

i absolutely am, yes, for weeks.

Load Metric

a real-time time machine?

Load Metric
    im just asking;

what exactly did saul do that could justify dying in prison?

Load Metric
    im just asking;

what exactly did saul do that could justify dying in prison?
    Name:  186335.png
Views: 180
Size:  4.80 MB

Load Metric
    ok but he also confessed so wouldnt they at LEAST run concurrent?

no priors. there are kingpins in prison with racks of bodies to their name who are eligible for parole after like 24 years.

and lest we forget he literally was offered a plea of 7 years.

and he didnt go to trial, just .. confessed.

Load Metric
    dont get me wrong that graphic is incredible but seriously that sentence is batshit.

Thread Information