Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father & Son shoot man over trash dispute.

Load Metric

Father & Son shoot man over trash dispute.

Aaron Howard was apparently trying to put a mattress in a dumpster in the alley outside of his house. His neighbors for some reason were upset over this and kept removing the mattress from the dumpster. A heated conversation ensued. The wife of Aaron Howard is recording the father and son who are both seen holding guns.

The father and son continue to tell the guy if he comes closer they will shoot him. Mr. Howard seems to keep taunting them and saying that he is going to kill them. Aaron Howard’s brother then gives him a bat.

Around the time of the shooting the video becomes a little unclear, but it appears Mr Howard advances on the old man with the bat, the old man fires 2 shots and then the son fires 2 shots, ultimately killing him.

The father and son were arrested on Murder charges.

If you look at Aaron Howard’s Facebook account, he recently made a post about a confrontation with the mailman and police that basically goes to show he was unstable.

Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000434291509

Video of the confrontation and shooting: https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.c...tress/4304099/

Load Metric
    In the United States of 2018, one death and two possible life sentences somehow seems like a reasonable outcome in a dispute over a mattress. I hope they wear shirts in prison.

Comments

Sanlmar: Sounds about right

big dick: accurate

Load Metric
    IMO both sides are complete idiots.

Dude deserved to get shot if he indeed come after them with a bat (by at least the dad).

On the other hand, who gets into this heated of an altercation over trash in an alley.?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post
    IMO both sides are complete idiots.

Dude deserved to get shot if he indeed come after them with a bat (by at least the dad).

On the other hand, who gets into this heated of an altercation over trash in an alley.?
    Howard made terroristic threats at the father and son. He then charged the father even though the father and son had repeatedly warned him to keep his distance. IMO, this looks like justifiable homicide due to self defense given that both the son and father have a right to openly carry in Texas and the right to stand in the alley without being physically threatened then attacked by someone.

In fact, the person he handed Howard the bat AFTER the father warned him to keep his distancd just before he rushed the father should probably be charged with a crime related to the attemped battery on the father.

P.S. Was gonna post a related meme that ridiculed the dead guy using a memed selfie he had previously posted to Facebook, but I don’t want to cause his family additional grief if one of them happens upon this site.

Orig on FB:
    Name:  CEE601A3-AD5F-409B-8369-9863D5D98D16.jpeg
Views: 517
Size:  208.8 KB
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 09-21-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    the incident occurred Sept 1 in Abilene, Texas and the video was broadcast just a few days ago by a local television station

from the minimal info I was able to gather online, disposing of a mattress in Abilene costs the owner over $100...if that is true, and the dumpster was rented/owned by the shooters (the Millers), Howard's putting his mattress in the dumpster amounts to theft

also, re: Howard's death threat, I don't know what the law is in Texas but I suspect it is similar to that in California: it is a felony punishable by a minimum sentence of 1 year of prison

it seems this dispute had been going on for a few days previous, and no word if the police had been called to the earlier incidents

your use of deadly force is usually justified/legally sanctioned when you or someone you are protecting is put in immediate peril of death or serious injury...

now it is for the city attorney/jury to decide is if the use of force was justified, particularly the shotgun, which may have happened after the threat had ended
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-21-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    In the United States of 2018, one death and two possible life sentences somehow seems like a reasonable outcome in a dispute over a mattress.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 11.04.44 PM.png
Views: 553
Size:  975.5 KB
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Glad to see Garret and his father finally worked things out.

Load Metric
    Problem is the dead dude and his wife didn’t have guns.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: that was a good problem, the dead dude had a history of mental illness

sah_24: He had a bat and there were actually 3 of them as he got said bat from another family member ... shouldn't bring a bat to gun fight ...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Problem is the dead dude and his wife didn’t have guns.
    Didn’t he have a bat?

If I’m in that situation and someone’s coming at me, I’m not going to think, “Well gee willickers, does he have a knife, sword, gun, or bat? I can only use this much force to protect myself! Oh okay there I see he has a bat. Gotta put my gun down because that’d be unfair!”

No, if my life is in danger, then I’m emptying the clip.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hard to see how they could successfully be charged with murder.

It seems fairly clear from the video that the guy was advancing on him, and if he was holding a bat, and continued to advance after making threats to kill them, I'd say that shooting the guy dead was justified.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    ABSOLUTELY HOF I HOPE TO FALL ASLEEP TO THIS AGAIN INSTEAD OF DJCHAPS

Comments

DJ_Chaps: bahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Username: Nova Scotia’s #1 Most Fappable Webcam DJ

Load Metric
    it's a shame the guy who got shot didn't have a hand grenade instead of a bat
    Last edited by big dick; 09-22-2018 at 03:44 AM.

Load Metric
    3 work place shootings in 24 hours.
    America is becoming a real shit hole

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/us/th...urs/index.html

Comments

Pooh: yup

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    3 work place shootings in 24 hours.
    America is becoming a real shit hole

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/us/th...urs/index.html
    Hardly thread worthy anymore.

Load Metric
    Name:  funny.gif
Views: 364
Size:  499.0 KB

Perhaps I have become sick in the head, but I laughed. Guy got what he deserved. Carry on.

Load Metric
    I didn't watch the video however I just saw the fat topless guy holding a gun. If I'm having a discussion with some dude who is holding a gun I'm going to be damn sure the thing doesn't ever get heated and I'm walking the fuck away as soon as fucking possible.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    TO: Media & General Public
    DATE: September 21, 2018
    SUBJECT: Aaron Howard Murder Investigation

The Abilene Police Department is conducting a murder investigation of Aaron Howard (age 37). Howard was allegedly shot and killed by suspects, John Miller (age 67) and his son, Michael Miller (age 31). The two parties were in a dispute over refuse in an alley shared by the two families. The incident was recorded via a cellphone by Howard’s girlfriend, Kara Box. She subsequently distributed the video publicly. The video was not released by the Department.

Both John and Michael Miller’s bonds were originally set at $25,000 each by a Justice of the Peace. They then bonded out immediately, which was a great concern to both myself and our community. Taylor County District Attorney, Jim Hicks, filed a Motion of Insufficiency of Bond this afternoon to address the Department and public’s concern based upon the following information:

On September 1, 2018, the Abilene Police Department began investigating a shooting in the alley behind the 4300 block of Don Juan. It was determined that John Miller and Michael Miller discharged firearms at Aaron Howard after engaging in an argument about the placement of a box spring in the alley, killing him. When the first shots were fired, Aaron had a bat in his hand and was approximately seven feet from John Miller, who was the closest to him. When Michael Miller discharged his shotgun and John Miller fired the final two rounds from his pistol, Aaron Howard was unarmed. Both the Millers admitted to shooting Howard, who died after being transported to Hendrick Medical Center. Aaron Howard’s wife/girlfriend, Kara Box, recorded the incident on her cellphone and Detective Jordan Brown reviewed this video. He believes it is apparent from the video, combined with the interviews of the Millers, that they were tired of their neighbor, Aaron Howard, acting out and yelling and threatening them verbally. They brought out firearms during this argument and both Millers stood in the alley as Aaron Howard got more and more upset. As soon as he raised the bat while approximately seven or more feet away from John, John shot him.

John and Michael Miller were taken into custody without incident this afternoon (9/21/'18) after the 42nd District Court reviewed the initial bonds and raised them to $250,000 each.

Our Department has received numerous requests for information regarding this shooting. We are actively working this investigation which must be protected through prosecution, reference Tex. Gov’t Code § 552.108, therefore we are only releasing the attached information and the suspect’s mug shots.

In the State of Texas, the Texas Public Information Act (the “Act”) gives the public the right to request access to government information. Although the Act makes most government information available to the public, some exceptions exist. One of these exceptions prevents the disclosure of law enforcement records if the release of the information would interfere with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime.. Information relating to a pending criminal investigation or prosecution is one example of information that is excepted under sections 552.108(a)(1) and 552.108(b)(1) because release of such information would presumptively interfere with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime. (See Houston Chronicle Publ’g Co. v. City of Houston, 531 S.W.2d 177, 184-85 (Tex. Civ. App.—Houston [14th Dist.]); see also Tex. Atty Gen. Open Rec. Ltr No. 2016-20196).)

Respectfully,
    Chief Stan Standridge
    I'm guessing the dad either gets off or gets a light sentence, as he can claim self defense.

The son fired shots after the victim was unarmed, so I think he's fucked.

Load Metric
    TO: Media & General Public
    DATE: September 21, 2018
    SUBJECT: Aaron Howard Murder Investigation

The Abilene Police Department is conducting a murder investigation of Aaron Howard (age 37). Howard was allegedly shot and killed by suspects, John Miller (age 67) and his son, Michael Miller (age 31). The two parties were in a dispute over refuse in an alley shared by the two families. The incident was recorded via a cellphone by Howard’s girlfriend, Kara Box. She subsequently distributed the video publicly. The video was not released by the Department.

Both John and Michael Miller’s bonds were originally set at $25,000 each by a Justice of the Peace. They then bonded out immediately, which was a great concern to both myself and our community. Taylor County District Attorney, Jim Hicks, filed a Motion of Insufficiency of Bond this afternoon to address the Department and public’s concern based upon the following information:

On September 1, 2018, the Abilene Police Department began investigating a shooting in the alley behind the 4300 block of Don Juan. It was determined that John Miller and Michael Miller discharged firearms at Aaron Howard after engaging in an argument about the placement of a box spring in the alley, killing him. When the first shots were fired, Aaron had a bat in his hand and was approximately seven feet from John Miller, who was the closest to him. When Michael Miller discharged his shotgun and John Miller fired the final two rounds from his pistol, Aaron Howard was unarmed. Both the Millers admitted to shooting Howard, who died after being transported to Hendrick Medical Center. Aaron Howard’s wife/girlfriend, Kara Box, recorded the incident on her cellphone and Detective Jordan Brown reviewed this video. He believes it is apparent from the video, combined with the interviews of the Millers, that they were tired of their neighbor, Aaron Howard, acting out and yelling and threatening them verbally. They brought out firearms during this argument and both Millers stood in the alley as Aaron Howard got more and more upset. As soon as he raised the bat while approximately seven or more feet away from John, John shot him.

John and Michael Miller were taken into custody without incident this afternoon (9/21/'18) after the 42nd District Court reviewed the initial bonds and raised them to $250,000 each.

Our Department has received numerous requests for information regarding this shooting. We are actively working this investigation which must be protected through prosecution, reference Tex. Gov’t Code § 552.108, therefore we are only releasing the attached information and the suspect’s mug shots.

In the State of Texas, the Texas Public Information Act (the “Act”) gives the public the right to request access to government information. Although the Act makes most government information available to the public, some exceptions exist. One of these exceptions prevents the disclosure of law enforcement records if the release of the information would interfere with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime.. Information relating to a pending criminal investigation or prosecution is one example of information that is excepted under sections 552.108(a)(1) and 552.108(b)(1) because release of such information would presumptively interfere with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime. (See Houston Chronicle Publ’g Co. v. City of Houston, 531 S.W.2d 177, 184-85 (Tex. Civ. App.—Houston [14th Dist.]); see also Tex. Atty Gen. Open Rec. Ltr No. 2016-20196).)

Respectfully,
    Chief Stan Standridge
    I'm guessing the dad either gets off or gets a light sentence, as he can claim self defense.

The son fired shots after the victim was unarmed, so I think he's fucked.

Want to bet that neither of them do any time? Even money.

Load Metric
    Note the inconsistency in the press release by that police department: In one sentence, it says that Howard was armed with a bat, but a few sentences later, they say that he was “unarmed”.

And in case anyone doubts how dangerous being attacked with a bat can be...

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    It’s incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to see (in the video) whether Aaron was armed or unarmed at the point where the son used the shotgun. The father got what, 2 maybe 3 shots off? If someone’s swinging with a bat, they’re still going to do a good amount of damage if he connects on a swing or two.

Judging by his voice and temperament, definitely could have been on some crazy shit drugs. If someone’s on PCP, they aren’t stopping after a gun shot or two.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this plus reaction time delay

Thread Information