Thread: Will you be able to watch this 1 millon WSOP event live at the Rio and or on live stream?

Load Metric

Will you be able to watch this 1 millon WSOP event live at the Rio and or on live stream?

I normally would think birding a poker tourney as about as much fun as going to the dentist. However, there is something about watching someone get up from a table after getting owned for 1 million which I find appealing .

Load Metric
    if only people were buying in with their own money, but with the exception of guy, beal, and other businessman...

they can't afford

sfo

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    I normally would think birding a poker tourney as about as much fun as going to the dentist. However, there is something about watching someone get up from a table after getting owned for 1 million which I find appealing .
    Here is hoping China can muster up like 1,000 stakes to play in tournmament. Guy finished 9th in a forgotten Limit Hold 'Em event on 2010 and kills Knock Poker, so that is worth a few bucks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    if only people were buying in with their own money, but with the exception of guy, beal, and other businessman...

they can't afford

sfo
    Exactly,
    Even JRB
    Mr Broke himself is in.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

they can't afford

sfo
    Exactly,
    Even JRB
    Mr Broke himself is in.

That is pretty lame. It would be cool to know exactly which people are putting up their own money and which are being staked by Guy. Pretty gay tourney if there is 49 million paid in and 40 of it is from Guy's own pocket. If that is the case, he may as well just write the charity a 4-5 mil check and call it a day.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

they can't afford

sfo
    Exactly,
    Even JRB
    Mr Broke himself is in.

Odds on JRB getting drink, get refunded for the event minus the 100k, and then go tilt 900k off in pits?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just the final table will be on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3. That will air on Tuesday, July 3rd.

I'd imagine people could rail at the Rio but not for sure.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Does sound likr the bigtime...

Load Metric
    @themouthmatusow
    if a businessman wins one drop the whole poker world will be dead broke forever #pleasepray
    @themouthmatusow
    sad thing is people think that these poker players care about onedrop when all they truly care about is the 15 dead spots of million
    So what's correct? Are most players being sponsored/bought in by Guy? And a few bought in by pooling some money together? And is Mike just sour he won't be playing?

Or does Mike know more than us?

Load Metric
    If you were planning to enter the $1 million dollar One Drop poker tournament, you are too late.
    The 48 player cap has been met, first place should pay out about $18 million.

I'm sure Guy Laliberte has sponsored the majority of the field and most pro's sold pieces of themselves to get in this tourney.

This million dollar tournament will overshadow the main event.
    No one will give a shit who wins the $10K WSOP Main Event since it will pay less money and will probably be won by some under 25 year old Euro douchebag.

Whoever wins the One Drop $1 million will be listed as #1 on the all-time money list replacing Erik Seidel who has about $17 million in winnings.

Comments

Republican: stupid faggot

dwai: TheXRetard

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, at first I thought it would be a cool super-high-stakes competition between rich businessmen and degenerate poker players willing to risk a million.

Instead it appears that the poker pros are pretty much "hired guns" bought in by Guy, playing for a small percentage of themselves.

Guy wanted to raise $5 million for his OneDrop charity, but rather than raising some of it in traditional fashion and donating the rest himself, he decided to do it through poker.

First, he needed some poker pros to enter the tournament, so the whole thing didn't look like a circle jerk of super-rich amateurs. He bought in an assortment of poker pros that he got to know over the years, including entertaining ones like Jean-Robert Bellande. They only kept a small perentage of themselves, meaning that most of the money was going to cycle back to Guy, provided that one of his many horses ended up winning (which is likely because the amateurs will probably get crushed.)

Then he approached various rich businessmen and pitched the tournament to them, convincing them both of the charity's worthiness and the fun of playing in an exclusive 48-man tournament -- with the biggest buyin ever -- comprised somewhat of poker pros and somewhat of other rich amateurs.

Anyway, this is much less fun to watch, knowing that the poker pros we're familiar with aren't playing with their own money, and that the guys who ARE playing with their own money won't even win anything life-changing if they do happen to luckbox into first.

I don't have proof of any of the above, but I'd be surprised if it were far from the truth.

Load Metric
    Why is there a cap?

From Galfond's twitter - it looked like he wanted to register but it was full. Lame

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Why is there a cap?

From Galfond's twitter - it looked like he wanted to register but it was full. Lame
    The story is that Guy sold the rich businessmen on a 48-player-max tournament, and he doesn't want to go back on his word.

Not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard.

I agree that it's lame to cap the number of entrants, since it just costs the charity $111,111 for each person they turn away.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Why is there a cap?

The story is that Guy sold the rich businessmen on a 48-player-max tournament, and he doesn't want to go back on his word.

Not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard.

I agree that it's lame to cap the number of entrants, since it just costs the charity $111,111 for each person they turn away.
    I was thinking this same thing about losing donated funds for every person they turn away. On the contrary, Guy even putting this tournament on raised about 5.3 million that they didn't have before.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah, at first I thought it would be a cool super-high-stakes competition between rich businessmen and degenerate poker players willing to risk a million.

Instead it appears that the poker pros are pretty much "hired guns" bought in by Guy, playing for a small percentage of themselves.

Guy wanted to raise $5 million for his OneDrop charity, but rather than raising some of it in traditional fashion and donating the rest himself, he decided to do it through poker.

First, he needed some poker pros to enter the tournament, so the whole thing didn't look like a circle jerk of super-rich amateurs. He bought in an assortment of poker pros that he got to know over the years, including entertaining ones like Jean-Robert Bellande. They only kept a small perentage of themselves, meaning that most of the money was going to cycle back to Guy, provided that one of his many horses ended up winning (which is likely because the amateurs will probably get crushed.)

Then he approached various rich businessmen and pitched the tournament to them, convincing them both of the charity's worthiness and the fun of playing in an exclusive 48-man tournament -- with the biggest buyin ever -- comprised somewhat of poker pros and somewhat of other rich amateurs.

Anyway, this is much less fun to watch, knowing that the poker pros we're familiar with aren't playing with their own money, and that the guys who ARE playing with their own money won't even win anything life-changing if they do happen to luckbox into first.

I don't have proof of any of the above, but I'd be surprised if it were far from the truth.
    I am not so sure Guy put in as many people as everyone thinks. I don't have any proof of that fact either; but I would bet Guy put up the majority or all of the buyin for less than 10 players. However, we will probably never know.

I very very rarely watch any poker on TV but I think this is actually going to be somewhat interesting. Whole new level of pressure added with the buy in and I bet we will see some very uncharacteristic moves (from the pros mostly, playing scared money, too cautious, too aggressive because they think everyone will be nervous, etc..) and bad beats which will make it exciting. I still might not watch but it would be one that I would def consider.

Thread Information