Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: L.A. Burns The Fuck To The Ground...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A new small fire started a few miles down the road from me, but they put it out before it became a problem.

I was sleeping at the time.

Load Metric
    TODGE ASLEEP AT THE SWITCH

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    TODGE ASLEEP AT THE SWITCH
    As usual, I always miss the good stuff.

Load Metric
    The Woolsey fire that affected Ventura, Malibu, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Hidden Hills, etc. could burn for another week.

I assume that most homeowners in those neighborhoods have fire insurance.

Load Metric
    The Internet is awash with people finding humour at those climate change deniers who have lost everything in the fire, and even at those who have perished.

Can't fully agree with that at all.

Those of us who believe in the science need to rise above all that and show some respect for the dead (even if it is their own fault)
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This wasn't a result of climate change.

Los Angeles naturally has long periods of little rain, lasting from April through October.

There is also a lot of nature and brush surrounding the southern California area.

There are also the well-known Santa Ana winds which bring hot, dry, windy conditions to the area in the fall and winter.

Wildfires are common in California in October and November, as these conditions create a perfect storm for hard-to-battle fires.

Some blame climate change for escalating global temperatures and more extreme weather. Some of that is controversial, but southern California's dryness and the Santa Ana winds have never been blamed on climate change. That's just SoCal being SoCal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Los Angeles naturally has long periods of little rain, lasting from April through October.

There is also a lot of nature and brush surrounding the southern California area.

There are also the well-known Santa Ana winds which bring hot, dry, windy conditions to the area in the fall and winter.

Wildfires are common in California in October and November, as these conditions create a perfect storm for hard-to-battle fires.

Some blame climate change for escalating global temperatures and more extreme weather. Some of that is controversial, but southern California's dryness and the Santa Ana winds have never been blamed on climate change. That's just SoCal being SoCal.
    And you throw in the "can't buy a gun but I've got a bic lighter" person who may feel and marginalized in your society and it's a perfect storm

Also, how sad is it one of these fires had to be called Camp? Boy Scouts will likely have all support taken away from Trump

Load Metric

When you say "some", do you actually mean some of the world's leading scientists?

Yes, natural factors played its part with these fires, but man-made climate change also had a significant role to play in this disaster.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Druff is just stupidly parroting the current GOP party's deflecting-from-the-problem bullshit.

Load Metric

Greg Woodcox, 58, was the lone survivor of a group of friends that he tried to evacuate when the devastating Camp Fire hit Paradise, California
    He escaped death by taking refuge in a stream at the bottom of a ravine
    The other five people that were traveling behind him died in their cars
    Woodcox took a video of the grisly aftermath, which his nephew posted online
    His nephew said the video was worth sharing if it helped save any lives
    Paradise residents said that it was insensitive to show the charred remains

Woodcox and the people who he managed to alert, drove down a road to escape, but one of the cars got stuck in the road, trapping all the others behind him. By the time Woodcox realized that nobody was following him, the fire had reached the cars.

He said he managed to escape the flames by following a fox that he saw running for a path, leading him to a three-foot deep stream in a ravine. He submerged himself in the water for 45 minutes as the fire burned over him, describing the water as the 'hottest hot tub I've ever felt.'

Forty yards away, were the cars that had gotten trapped, containing the charred remains of his five friends — said to be the first five Camp Fire victims.

Woodcox used his cellphone to document what he saw left behind by the fire, including the dead bodies which are burned beyond recognition.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Greg Woodcox, 58, was the lone survivor of a group of friends that he tried to evacuate when the devastating Camp Fire hit Paradise, California

Woodcox and the people who he managed to alert, drove down a road to escape, but one of the cars got stuck in the road, trapping all the others behind him. By the time Woodcox realized that nobody was following him, the fire had reached the cars.

He said he managed to escape the flames by following a fox that he saw running for a path, leading him to a three-foot deep stream in a ravine. He submerged himself in the water for 45 minutes as the fire burned over him, describing the water as the 'hottest hot tub I've ever felt.'

Forty yards away, were the cars that had gotten trapped, containing the charred remains of his five friends — said to be the first five Camp Fire victims.

Woodcox used his cellphone to document what he saw left behind by the fire, including the dead bodies which are burned beyond recognition.

I have VHS tapes of 9/11 live coverage which I thought I had to record. I have never watched them nor know where they are and this is maybe why I can't watch something like the video posted.
    I think it's why I also don't watch the nightly news.

Load Metric

It is the result of drought, over 129 million dead trees, which provide fuel for fires and climate change.

Wildfires have become more devastating because of the extreme weather swings from global warming, fire scientists said. The average number of US acres burned by wildfires has doubled over the level from 30 years ago.
    "But, thanks in part to climate change, California isn’t getting enough snow and rain to compensate for the unrelenting warming caused by climate change. The result is a worsening wildfire problem.”

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

He kept himself under water for 45 minutes? And then his cell phone miraculously worked? And his truck was unscathed?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    power lines as a leading cause of the fires has surprised me

It’s very difficult to sift through the noise and the nonsense but here’s a truth. PG&E Pacific Gas & Electric stock is getting murdered.

Ticker is PCG

50 —> a low of 25 Maybe $32 now.

When I rode dirt bikes in New England, a favorite ride was following the big transmission lines through the forest. Brush and trees were largely removed and you could hammer it for miles and miles.

It never occurred to me until these Cali fires that they were a forest fire threat in other environments.

The President of PG&E is some woman named Geisha Williams. Geisha? That’s like a boy named Sue. I’ll walk the other side of the street from her.

Load Metric
    Geisha: on the advice of legal counsel we have decided to shut off power to Southern California

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It doesn't make sense to me how "global warming" is to blame for these fires.

These fires don't start due to heat. They start due to dryness, and spread due to both wind and hilly/mountainous areas full of brush and trees.

The wind and dry conditions are from the Santa Ana winds, which have always been in southern California, and have nothing to do with global warming.

I realize there are some claims that drought occurs due to global warming. However, that's not what is happening in southern California.

Unlike many other areas, where yearly rain totals are fairly constant, southern California has always experienced extreme variance in precipitation totals from year to year.

This makes it very difficult to tell when drought is from an external cause (such as global warming), or whether drought is simply running bad where there are several years of little rain.

Look at this chart for rain in downtown Los Angeles: http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we13.php

It dates back to 1878.

The average is 14.70 inches, but look at how different it can be from year to year. The 2001-2002 season had just 4.41 inches of rain, and then 2004-2005 had 37.25 inches!

If you go back a long way, you'll see a period from 1893-1900 where 5 of those 7 seasons were drought years, and even the other two were barely above average. However, 17 of the following 18 years experienced near-average or above rain.

The problem is that, since 2011, it's been mostly drought in southern California. With the exception of 2016-2017, which saw almost all of the rain fall in a two month period from late December to late February, it has been dry. I still believe that's just typical southern Cailfornia rain variance, as the previous two decades were quite different, yet they still had certain drought years.

In poker terms, claiming drought in southern California is a result of climate change is like claiming the deck is rigged because you missed 5 of your last 6 big draws.

Far too little data in a high variance situation to make any conclusions at this point.

As far as believing "top scientists" claiming that climate change is responsible for this, you need to understand who is claiming it, and what benefit they might get for making such claims. When it comes to the weather, it's laughable how wrong they can end up being sometimes.

In 1990, I was in college, and we were experiencing a drought similar to this one. After four dry rain years in a row, and a fifth looking like it was on its way, there was talk of expensive desalination plants and other exotic solutions to get water to southern California. I lived in the dorms, and was told not to flush the toilet if I just pissed. Seriously.

I heard countless "experts" give dire warnings that we were so behind on rain that it would take "five consecutive years of heavy rain to refill our reservoirs", which were indeed extremely low at this point.

Then in March 1991, several consecutive days of heavy rain fell. The dire-predicting "experts" noted that this would do little to cure our drought issue, as the ground was so parched that it would just absorb most of the water. At first, it appeared they were right, as reservoir levels barely moved.

Then the following week came another series of heavy rainstorms.

Now, with the ground already saturated, water poured down the southern California mountains and hills. Not only did the reservoirs fill, but some overflowed.

When asked how two weeks of storms could manage to wipe out the entire problem, when we were just told that 5 years of heavy rain would be required, the same scientists sheepishly admitted they were wrong.

"The saturated ground from the previous week led to a lot more water than we expected running down the hills and mountains. We hadn't really considered that."

Oops.

More recently, after the devastating 2005 hurricane season, we were told that global warming was to blame, and that hurricane seasons like that would be the "new normal". We were told to brace for just about every year going forward to be like 2005.

Well, people braced, and then the next four hurricane seasons were mild. Again, oops. Turns out that there's a ton of variance with hurricanes, as well, and we don't have nearly enough data to establish any patterns yet.

Comments

Muck Ficon: You earned this

Load Metric
    FUCK THAT

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here we go again.

Load Metric
    Why are you not sweating this disaster from a city/desert hotel room with your family?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Sorry Druff I am not a libtard by any stretch, but this is BS. I grew up in So Cal. It is way hotter, drier and there are way worse fires than 30 years ago. Period. And I am sure man made climate change is part of why. In fact it would literally be absurd to argue the opposite IMO.

It would be like if a winning poker player started playing 27o all the time, started losing, and then tried to blame the losing streak on their aces not holding up.

Thread Information