Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing Headphones.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Need help choosing Headphones.

I am hoping some here may have some helpful advice/opinions.

I have spent many hours reading information and reviews. At the end of the day I still feel confused and very undecided.

Cost: Not a factor.

Durability: Do not want overly fragile,temperamental and difficult to repair should something break. i.e's cords and ear cups.

Type: Full or on ear. For my use I believe closed backed or noise canceling is the most appropriate. I realize that there are drawbacks to these compared to others.

Sound: I listen to a broad range of music. I do not listen to much techno, house/club or jazz. Hip Hop and rap is not the focus but definitely have favorites in that genre. I like clear defined and nuanced but not to the point of being over analytical. Need the top end for Classical to folk and country music but do not desire excessively lacking bass. A lot of Folk/Americana music is much better with good mid range sound.

Confusion: The indecision stems from the problem of where I will be using these the most; A lap top computer. Often with others in close proximity. I do not know anything about amps etc. I do not know how practical they are for moving locations; everything goes into a computer carry case. Also much of the music will be coming from streaming sights so the bit rate etc. will vary. I cannot decide if I should go with just a good $250 to $600 model or if there is some value in going more high end and buying the amp and whatever else is necessary to power them for performance.

If there is more information necessary I will be happy to provide. I did use the search feature. No, I do not know anyone on the forum. Cheers and thank you.

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know someone who can help.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There's only one headphone in this class. It's the one Details Magazine called "One of the six great indulgences of the world", and PC Magazine called "Very likely best sounding headphones ever made".

Now that's a Statement.

Grado. I read up a bit on them and bought the second cheapest pair. Fantastic. They go way up in the price range andj I can't imagine what the high end ones sound like.
    Hand made in America, by Americans, using real American steel.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

NEVER BEEN:

Load Metric
    I do some electronic genre music writing (using Logic Pro) and like these for clarity across the pitch spectrum. And unlike most upscale audiophile headphones (including the Grado line as I can see), these are closed-back.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 594
Size:  33.0 KB

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eadphones.html

They cost about $300. And don't confuse them with the much cheaper but similar looking MDR 7506 (which have a red background for "Professional" on the outerface of driver box). The 7506s are not nearly as good sounding and cheaply made.

And with the 1/4" adaptor removed, the 3.5mm headphone jack works in the typical PC and smart phone headphone outlet. And because they are low impedence, there's no need for a signal booster.

Comments

Salty_Aus: Don't listen to old cunts when they have an opinion on headphones
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Gold
    Load Metric
    http://www.heilsound.com/pro/product...ones/pro-set-3

Bob Heil is the inventor of the Talk Box that Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh, Richie Sambora and a host of other musicians use. He also makes microphones, headsets and other audio gear. His customer support is absolutely fucking amazing and often if you call or email with a question, problem or comment he personally returns your call/email. All made in the USA, as well. I use his stuff in my ham radio shack, and have always been impressed.

A lot of bang for your buck at $110 + shipping.

Comments

NEVER BEEN: Very good information. Great price. thank you

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    I do some electronic genre music writing (using Logic Pro) and like these for clarity across the pitch spectrum. And unlike most upscale audiophile headphones (including the Grado line as I can see), these are closed-back.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 594
Size:  33.0 KB

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eadphones.html

They cost about $300. And don't confuse them with the much cheaper but similar looking MDR 7506 (which have a red background for "Professional" on the outerface of driver box). The 7506s are not nearly as good sounding and cheaply made.

And with the 1/4" adaptor removed, the 3.5mm headphone jack works in the typical PC and smart phone headphone outlet. And because they are low impedence, there's no need for a signal booster.

disagree on your call on The Sony MDR line. they are god, and until Pioneer put out the HDJs, the MDR-V700 was the staple for high end DJ use. Hell, I put the 700s above the Pioneers. Sucks they are discontinued, and I lost my pair. They sell for a premium online these days, it seems. I got the last retail pair in NS, and got em dirt cheap.

Comments

MumblesBadly: I can understand why you like the deeper base V700s given your DJing. IMO, it's a difference in preference, as like the OP, I prefer good midrange, which tends to get sacrificed by deeper base headphones.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    high end DJ use

the closest you come to this is the 'high' part when you pilfer moms medicinal weed roaches from the ashtray.

Comments

DJ_Chaps: YAWN

Krypt: pilfer

wrenchjockey: I hOWLed

rum dick: owL my sides
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    high end DJ use

the closest you come to this is the 'high' part when you pilfer moms medicinal weed roaches from the ashtray.
    JUST ONE SENTENCE? COME ON BRO, WE ALL KNOW TYPING IS THE ONLY PHYSICAL EXERCISE YOUR BODY GETS. GIVE US SOME PARAGRAPHS AND BURN A FEW CALORIES FOR FUCKS SAKE.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    if you're over 30 (hearing shot) like most people on this forum, save your money and get some cheap headphones. Monoprice makes good cheap headphones.

Comments

Salty_Aus: Solid advise

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Parrot. !Best noise cancelling and since price isnt an issue, this is a must buy

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Wirele...rot+headphones

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Parrot. !Best noise cancelling and since price isnt an issue, this is a must buy

literally only a fag would wear those ugly ass headphones

Load Metric
    ive had plenty.

when I'm djing, it's my Sennheisers. When i'm at the table, I have plantronics blue tooth headphones (but they dont last that long for battery) but to be honest, my go to has always been the cheap skull candy ones you find at best buy
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

Do you use these? If so I would like to know your opinion on the quality issues many of the reviews mention. No review knocks sound quality.

Load Metric
    personally I have a fondness for Bose. I bought my first Bose awhile back and found the QCs very nice indeed as they would cut out the outside noise while listening additionally they worked great just putting them on while riding in an airplane as they cut out a shit ton of the abrasive background noise planes are notorious for. I have a pair of their BT headphones as well I use on my PC and occasionally if I'm up late watching TV I can put them on and no worries waking the other half while watching TV as it has BT support.

Comments

Belly Buster: +1 for bose

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    personally I have a fondness for Bose. I bought my first Bose awhile back and found the QCs very nice indeed as they would cut out the outside noise while listening additionally they worked great just putting them on while riding in an airplane as they cut out a shit ton of the abrasive background noise planes are notorious for. I have a pair of their BT headphones as well I use on my PC and occasionally if I'm up late watching TV I can put them on and no worries waking the other half while watching TV as it has BT support.
    I have a pair of qc-15s, and had the qc-3s also (before they were stolen from under a table at Caesars AC by some fucker who was sitting next to me before I got up to go to the bathroom. But I digress...)

Overall, the noise reduction is good, but even the newer ones tend to muddy the midrange. To counter this, for a while I would wear Klipsch earphones (the $125 model) in my ears underneath the Bose. Looked bizarre, but created a ridic level of noise-abatement-augmented musical isolation. That is, for as long as I could tolerate the Bose earpieces pushing against the Klipsch earbuds.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Look cool in the latest Soviet headset technology

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Thank you for the replies. These are what I decided on. It came down to these or the beyerdynamic DT 1770. A major deciding factor was a need for a closed back headphone. If I did not need this feature these probably would not be the pair chosen. Other significant factors were that these seem to do well without amps or equalization and music recordings that are not optimal. According to reviews they work well when using a phone or device and seem to be a good choice for travel
    I will post if I find any problems or concerns after using them.

Name:  Rose-and-Grey-Side.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  244.4 KB

Name:  SonusFaberPryma-02w.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  72.8 KB

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    This forum is such a sausagefest I assumed you were male!
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Thread Information