Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: The Official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champs!!!!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffCo99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolAssBro View Post
    And wouldn't ya know it here comes BiffCunt with some more enlightening insight. Thank you for your participation and predictions in this thread. You have provided me with many lolzzzzz! Thank you! You obviously do not follow baseball very closely.. Which is fine ... But it shows
    Dude, all I'm saying is that I don't think the Cubs are a dynasty in the making. I give them credit for taking advantage of a very easy playoff road and breaking the curse. I just see a very flawed team that got pretty fortunate in a lot of ways in the postseason. Beating the Giants Dodgers and Indians is not that impressive.
    easy road? Oh bifftard....

Load Metric
    Myself(left) and the legend BIGDICK living it up at Fitzgearlds night club(great place to catch the game btw)!!! It was a great day!

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Well that didn't work
    lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    When you have it - you jam. Dodgers with the alleged "best pitcher in baseball" healthy and in his prime. Grienke having a career year and in fact better than Kershaw that year - if you can imagine. What foolishness to think you save you prospects and build. Those spots don't happen often.

You really don't know who will be hurt or who will regress in the future.

Thus, Epstein and Chapman.
    Kershaw pitched better than Grienke in 2015. Not only Grienke, but Jake Arrieta and everyone else too. In fact, he's pitched better than every other pitcher in every single season dating back to 2013:

So maybe you should explain to me and BiffCo99 why you decided to put "best pitcher in baseball" in quotations?

As for the 2015 Dodgers, you and I have already previously discussed this several times. They lost a game 5 elimination game (which was started by Zack Grienke) by a single run, 3-2*. Your analysis hasn't changed, "you jam", but given that BOTH of the deals proposed by Detroit included Corey Seager, is jamming the right move there?

*all 3 runs given up not by the GM, but the SP

Aroldis Chapman was worth 0.17 WPA during the postseason (Cubs turned down Schwarber for Miller proposal from NY). Absolutely nobody would consider Chapman the reason the Cubs won the world series. They won in spite of him. They entered the tournament with 18.9% odds of winning it all, and they ended up doing it, by a single run. And Thank God for that run. It's the difference between being on the right or wrong end of a narrative from someone like Skip Bayless or yourself.

Comments

big dick: Don't mess with Henry
    Last edited by Henry; 11-03-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Load Metric
    Appetite for for the maths.

I gotta be quick but I can't forfeit.

2015 punch Standard. I am happy. Bink Greinke. There's an argument. That an argument can be made is testimony to that duo's majesty.

Respect the WPA but Chapman's use by Maddon defies explanation. I had dinner prior to the game with my son who was a relief pitcher and Chapman's lack of control in game 7 was agreed to be a certainty. His performance was gritty considering his prior use. It also points a flaw in sabremetrics.

I believe Chapman proved to be invaluable. His acquisition spoke volumes regardless of actual performance
    Are you interested in the Dodgers failure to trade for a closure in 2015?

Quick question. Bumgarner or Kershaw 2014?

Detroit and LA had numerous closure options at different points in the season

Load Metric

This is awesome. Thanks Budweiser

Comments

big dick: Harry Caray is the greatest announcer in the history of the world

Load Metric
    Game 7 was great and I'm glad the Cubs finally won but I see the standard overreaction all over the Internet calling it the greatest game ever played. Hold your horses.

Mazeroski's walk off homer in game 7 in 1960
    Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1951 Series
    Kirby Puckett's walk off homer in game 6 of the 1991 series
    Pudge's homer in the 12th inning of game 6 of the 1975 series
    The Marlins' comeback in game 7 of the 1997 series, ironically also in extra innings against Cleveland

Any of these and more are candidates for the greatest game ever played. This year's game 7 takes its place among them but isn't clearly better IMO.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Game 7 was great and I'm glad the Cubs finally won but I see the standard overreaction all over the Internet calling it the greatest game ever played. Hold your horses.

Mazeroski's walk off homer in game 7 in 1960
    Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1951 Series
    Kirby Puckett's walk off homer in game 6 of the 1991 series
    Pudge's homer in the 12th inning of game 6 of the 1975 series
    The Marlins' comeback in game 7 of the 1997 series, ironically also in extra innings against Cleveland

Any of these and more are candidates for the greatest game ever played. This year's game 7 takes its place among them but isn't clearly better IMO.
    I think Rizzo was quoted as saying that it wasn't the greatest but a top 5'er. You could forsure argue that. Plus a lot of the games you mentioned a lot of us never witnessed but rather just know that they exist. It's like comparing Ali in a fight against Tyson. They fought in two different times, you can make a case either way but it's really all shoulders.

I'd lean more towards Rizzo's quote vs the media which is obviously going to hype any big game up for advertisement dollars etc and say this is right in that top 5 club.

A lot of "big games" end up being fails in professional sports, so it's nice to get a great series with a fantastic final game 7.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    When you have it - you jam. Dodgers with the alleged "best pitcher in baseball" healthy and in his prime. Grienke having a career year and in fact better than Kershaw that year - if you can imagine. What foolishness to think you save you prospects and build. Those spots don't happen often.

You really don't know who will be hurt or who will regress in the future.

Thus, Epstein and Chapman.
    Kershaw pitched better than Grienke in 2015. Not only Grienke, but Jake Arrieta and everyone else too. In fact, he's pitched better than every other pitcher in every single season dating back to 2013:

So maybe you should explain to me and BiffCo99 why you decided to put "best pitcher in baseball" in quotations?

As for the 2015 Dodgers, you and I have already previously discussed this several times. They lost a game 5 elimination game (which was started by Zack Grienke) by a single run, 3-2*. Your analysis hasn't changed, "you jam", but given that BOTH of the deals proposed by Detroit included Corey Seager, is jamming the right move there?

*all 3 runs given up not by the GM, but the SP

Aroldis Chapman was worth 0.17 WPA during the postseason (Cubs turned down Schwarber for Miller proposal from NY). Absolutely nobody would consider Chapman the reason the Cubs won the world series. They won in spite of him. They entered the tournament with 18.9% odds of winning it all, and they ended up doing it, by a single run. And Thank God for that run. It's the difference between being on the right or wrong end of a narrative from someone like Skip Bayless or yourself.

Dodgers didn't intentionally give up Greinke, but were outbid at the last minute by the D-Backs. Turned out to be fortunate, as Greinke had a bad year, may never recover, and is now owed a shitload of money for many years.

I agree regarding Chapman. He seems scary, but was very hittable. I would take Kenley Jansen over him all day.

Dodgers have a chance to be better in 2017 if they can manage to retain Jansen and Turner (both free agents), and perhaps grab another bat.

Julio Urias will be a year older and likely a lot better, and they may even get production out of Jose De Leon.

Glad they didn't get rid of Seager in any of those proposed trades. That would have been foolish, and I was against it at the time I heard such rumors.

It would be great if the Dodgers picked up a big bat for the outfield. Strangely enough, as crowded as they once were at OF, now they are kinda thin. They have Puig and Pederson, neither of whom are consistent hitters, and then kind of a platoon of Reddick/Kendrick/Ethier/whoever.

Reddick is a free agent, Ethier is unlikely to be too productive at this point, and Kendrick has kinda lapsed into mediocrity.

They should drop Kendrick back to 2B (Utley isn't really a solution there anymore), sign or acquire a strong-hitting OF, and re-sign Turner.

Comments

Henry: I agree and want to discuss this and the position of other teams moving forward when I get home later.

Load Metric
    I started watching baseball in '97 and that world series catalyzed my interest in the game.

I will say for me personally, game 7 of the '01 world series ranks right up there. The Yanks late nineties dynasty ('96, '98, '99, '00 champs) with Mariano Rivera entering the bottom of the ninth up 2-1.

It's all about perspective. I was 12 at that time and had Mark Grace Cubs posters on my wall.

I enjoyed last season, particularly the second half of last season, more than any other season, including this one. It goes back to the matter of perspective. A wild card team is entertaining all year, while the best team in baseball by 8 games just makes you anxious. I really enjoyed seeing Bryant and Russell and Schwarber make their debuts.

I think the only way this world series would have been better from the standpoint of an all-time narrative, would have been if Cleveland walked off in the ninth. There's nothing like a walk-off. The comeback would have been completed against big bad Chapman the woman beater and Maddon the genius. The Cubs curse continues.

As it is, it's an all-time classic and a truly storybook ending for a city that deserved one.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I started watching baseball in '97 and that world series catalyzed my interest in the game.

I will say for me personally, game 7 of the '01 world series ranks right up there. The Yanks late nineties dynasty ('96, '98, '99, '00 champs) with Mariano Rivera entering the bottom of the ninth up 2-1.

It's all about perspective. I was 12 at that time and had Mark Grace Cubs posters on my wall.

I enjoyed last season, particularly the second half of last season, more than any other season, including this one. It goes back to the matter of perspective. A wild card team is entertaining all year, while the best team in baseball by 8 games just makes you anxious. I really enjoyed seeing Bryant and Russell and Schwarber make their debuts.

I think the only way this world series would have been better from the standpoint of an all-time narrative, would have been if Cleveland walked off in the ninth. There's nothing like a walk-off. The comeback would have been completed against big bad Chapman the woman beater and Maddon the genius. The Cubs curse continues.

As it is, it's an all-time classic and a truly storybook ending for a city that deserved one.
    I especially agree with the bolded part.

Could you imagine if the Cubs had blown that game and the Indians walked off in the ninth? It would have gone down as a game that would have been talked about for ages.

People would be losing their minds about how the Cubs truly are cursed and it would have stayed in the news for a long time. One of those sports moments only baseball can provide because of its insanely long and rich history.

But now that the Cubs have won, they're just another franchise. I know Cub fans are thrilled that they won but their franchise just lost all of its mystique which many people found fascinating.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Have not seen this story posted on the board.

Nov 11, 2016

Cubs Fan Mabel Ball Dies at Age 108
    Mabel Ball—the 108-year-old Chicago Cubs fan who lived for the full length of the team's World Series drought before it was snapped earlier this month—died Tuesday.

According to the Chicago Tribune's Irv Leavitt, Ball's son Rich confirmed the news.

"The cruel irony, the almost unbelievable irony, is that the person who waits and waits and waits, after it happens, says, 'I've done what I've got to do, and I'm out of here,'" he said. "It ain't funny, but it's funny."

According to ABC7's Sarah Schulte, Ball was born two months before the Cubs defeated the Detroit Tigers in the 1908 World Series. .....http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NEVER BEEN View Post
    Have not seen this story posted on the board.

Nov 11, 2016

Cubs Fan Mabel Ball Dies at Age 108
    Mabel Ball—the 108-year-old Chicago Cubs fan who lived for the full length of the team's World Series drought before it was snapped earlier this month—died Tuesday.

According to the Chicago Tribune's Irv Leavitt, Ball's son Rich confirmed the news.

"The cruel irony, the almost unbelievable irony, is that the person who waits and waits and waits, after it happens, says, 'I've done what I've got to do, and I'm out of here,'" he said. "It ain't funny, but it's funny."

According to ABC7's Sarah Schulte, Ball was born two months before the Cubs defeated the Detroit Tigers in the 1908 World Series. .....http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
    I heard about this women a few weeks ago. Im happy she got to see it happen.

Load Metric
    Fortune magazine names Theo Epstein ‘world’s greatest leader'

Name:  IMG_0479.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  117.4 KB

Not wrong. Theo is god

The Fortune article:

http://fortune.com/2017/03/23/theo-e...atest-leaders/
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-23-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Load Metric
    Cubs v Sawks tonight

National press describing this as a potential World Series matchup. No one in Boston is saying that.

The World Series odds for each team are about even but that is a huge mistake.

Before this series is over the Cubs are gonna be charged with manslaughter in the first degree and might not be allowed to leave town without posting bail.

This book is about to be released.
    Name:  IMG_0005.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  63.5 KB
    The Plan: Epstein, Maddon, and the Audacious Blueprint for a Cubs Dynasty

Heard an interview on radio with the author. The Cubs organization was a complete shit show and Epstein completely blew it up. He was under pressure to get big names like Albert Pujos and the like and he resisted. Tom Ricketts let him do it his way.

Ricketts claims Epstein was the only interview he conducted for the opening. The guy knew.

If Druff was literate and really cared about the Dodgers he would read this so that he might gain insight into the mess the Dodgers have become and what might have been if the Dodgers had made an offer to Epstein.

Description:
    Mobile - Baseball - MLB - 929 Chicago Cubs -113 for Game

PLOL, as custodian for the Cubs around here - you gotta start a new Cubs World Series thread. Theo ain't done yet. There will be more moves before Oct.

Load Metric
    Here, big dick, I'll even bump this thread, with every post I made in it, to see if you can find where I talked shit about the cubs when they were down 3-1 against Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Cueto is a goat at pitching to NL teams but wow what a difference coming over to throw to AL hitters was for him.

Baseball is a long grind people. The Cubs are a very good team regardless of this slide it's just they aren't going to be winning 105 to 110 games like people thought was possible early on.
    You must have missed the fact that Cueto was tipping his pitches in the AL by using hand signals to his catcher to call the game. It took AL hitters about 4 & 1/2 seconds to figure this out.

Pretty easy to hit when you know exactly what's coming.

You must have missed the fact that Cueto was tipping his pitches in the AL by using hand signals to his catcher to call the game. It took AL hitters about 4 & 1/2 seconds to figure this out.

For those who didn't know about this: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...ve-it-to-them/

I posted this last year in the MLB thread during the World Series & had been happening to varying degrees the whole of his Royals tenure.
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Only thing that sucks more than this pos ump is Joe Buck. Gfy Joe Buck
    WTF?????

The announcers on my feed are Matt Vasgersian & Buck Martinez.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post

They do the international feed.
    I went through my channel guide & it wasn't showing up on Fox then all of a sudden it does & sure enough the POS Joe Buck is announcing. My apologies.
    Is Francona really gonna let Bauer face the cubs again?
    He looked like he was gonna cry on his way off the field tonight
    He'll probably slash his throat with a drone.
    you guys just don't undertstand how much torture comes with being a cubs fan feel like puking.
    You should've hedged.
    They don't deserve to win.
    Im getting 10~1 on them. Assuming they win tomorrow and head to cleveland down 3-2 what will the series price be? Im thining cleveland -300 or so. What do you guys think the line will be, assuming the cubs to send it back to Clevland?
    Id like to make a little bit off the bet if possible at this point.
    You neg repped me multiple times for daring to suggest you should hedge when Cleveland was @ +170 & now you're posting this stupid shit.
    Chapman!!!!
    He saved their ass tonight. It's now a series with Arrieta & Hendricks coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    And now we see how idiotic the All Star Game determining home field advantage is.

Cubs finished 9 games ahead in the standings. For them to be playing only 3 at home is criminal.
    At least it's 1 less game for you to complain about the ticket prices to the games there.
    fuck yeah! I just got home was in the wrigley area fucking mayhem

snake i ass
    draymond
    hockey guy

suck it faggots
    You're mad at me for suggesting that you hedge your futures bet then you hedge it & still feel the need to call me names. I never said 1 bad thing about the cubs ever but...........

You must be the biggest pussy on the board.

Comments

big dick: Time well spent
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Here, big dick, I'll even bump this thread, with every post I made in it, to see if you can find where I talked shit about the cubs when they were down 3-1 against Cleveland.

For those who didn't know about this: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...ve-it-to-them/

I posted this last year in the MLB thread during the World Series & had been happening to varying degrees the whole of his Royals tenure.
    Only thing that sucks more than this pos ump is Joe Buck. Gfy Joe Buck
    WTF?????

The announcers on my feed are Matt Vasgersian & Buck Martinez.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post

They do the international feed.
    I went through my channel guide & it wasn't showing up on Fox then all of a sudden it does & sure enough the POS Joe Buck is announcing. My apologies.
    Is Francona really gonna let Bauer face the cubs again?
    He looked like he was gonna cry on his way off the field tonight
    He'll probably slash his throat with a drone.
    you guys just don't undertstand how much torture comes with being a cubs fan feel like puking.
    You should've hedged.
    They don't deserve to win.
    Im getting 10~1 on them. Assuming they win tomorrow and head to cleveland down 3-2 what will the series price be? Im thining cleveland -300 or so. What do you guys think the line will be, assuming the cubs to send it back to Clevland?
    Id like to make a little bit off the bet if possible at this point.
    You neg repped me multiple times for daring to suggest you should hedge when Cleveland was @ +170 & now you're posting this stupid shit.
    Chapman!!!!
    He saved their ass tonight. It's now a series with Arrieta & Hendricks coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    And now we see how idiotic the All Star Game determining home field advantage is.

Cubs finished 9 games ahead in the standings. For them to be playing only 3 at home is criminal.
    At least it's 1 less game for you to complain about the ticket prices to the games there.
    fuck yeah! I just got home was in the wrigley area fucking mayhem

snake i ass
    draymond
    hockey guy

suck it faggots
    You're mad at me for suggesting that you hedge your futures bet then you hedge it & still feel the need to call me names. I never said 1 bad thing about the cubs ever but...........

You must be the biggest pussy on the board.

Wow, this must have taken some time. Why didn't you just tell him to eat a fat dick, and move on?

Comments

Hockey Guy: I have told himto fuck off but this shit has been going on for 8 months & needs to stop. Also, didn't take that long.

Load Metric
    TLDR

I can't believe you took the time to do all that

lol @ you

Load Metric
    TLDR

I can't believe you took the time to do all that

lol @ you
    Yeah 8 months of harassment for nothing is also pretty funny.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Also, how does it feel to be proven that you're a fucking liar?

Comments

big dick: EASY MONEY
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Hockey Guy: I have told himto fuck off but this shit has been going on for 8 months & needs to stop. Also, didn't take that long.

You act like I've been full on trolling you ,id give you the odd red and talk a little shit so quit making it out like I've stalked you or something you homo

You are the easiest guy I have ever trolled

Thread Information