Page 74 of 87 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1729

Thread: Game of Meh

Load Metric

Lightbulb

For the first couple of seasons I enjoyed it but thought 'fun show but tits and dragons'.

It became much more than that to me but am back to that original feeling.

As 'Tine laid out, the reasons laid out behind descent into full dragon mode feel shockingly lazy and thin.

This season is for the frat bros who like Transformers movies and seeing the cool dragon go ham. Completely devoid of nuance and thought.

I expect to be equally disappointed in whatever 'satisfying' ending they've concocted.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

solid analysis

honestly the mad queen foreshadowing has been going on since she refused to look away when seeing her brother get melted in season 1

its weird having to explain this... again: the madness of queen dany was the Super Obvious Theme and anyone who thought it wouldnt happen was hoping the foreshadowing was going to be either parlayed into a gotcha, eg dany sacrifices herself or her dream for jon, or that they would at least approach dany's madness in an artful way. neither of these happened, and thats problematic writing. that shes bonkers is a surprise to no one, but that she would turn into a mass murderer because her bae got killed is extremely weird, how many times has she said she didnt want to be a 'queen of ashes'? note that in the books in the books, even dany her fucking self was worried it would happen, so its not like its some remarkable observation that she was capable of a heel turn, it just shows a lack of imagination basically.

but whats most problematic is that the entire arc of her madness started with the 'murderous ex girlfriend' trope. there were a million roads to that destination and they chose the laziest mcroad of them all. its gross and shitty.
    a lot of people have the criticism that this was all about jon rejecting her, but i didn't think that when i saw it live.

the first thing i thought of, honestly, was the mountain beheading missandei and her rage began while staring towards cersei

Load Metric
    while i did like being surprised, i admit that the switch from benevolent dany to full-blown hitler seems a little too out of nowhere. not enough to make me dislike the episode or the season, but i get that criticism.

this problem comes back, in my opinion, to the writers needing to rush what should have been 30 episodes into like 3

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    For the first couple of seasons I enjoyed it but thought 'fun show but tits and dragons'.

It became much more than that to me but am back to that original feeling.

As 'Tine laid out, the reasons laid out behind descent into full dragon mode feel shockingly lazy and thin.

This season is for the frat bros who like Transformers movies and seeing the cool dragon go ham. Completely devoid of nuance and thought.

I expect to be equally disappointed in whatever 'satisfying' ending they've concocted.

this.

the core tension of the entire series up until arya knifed night king has been the struggle between nihilism and humanity backed by supernatural forces (night king vs lord of light).

lots to work with there, and it was a wild ride on paper at least.

70 minutes of runtime left to pivot from the iron throne being buried under thousands of tons of molten rubble to an ending that acknowledges in some meaningful way the deliverance of humanity from night king flavored extinction.

we started out with a Brahms concerto and we ended up at a Kid Rock concert. i dont like our chances.

Comments

gut: kiiiiiiiiiiiiiid rock
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    this problem comes back, in my opinion, to the writers needing to rush what should have been 30 episodes into like 3
    what i find existentially terrifying at this point is the fact that HBO has consistently _fucked_ the GoT team over on budget and its toooootally plausible that the downgrade in quality of the writing is at its core a massive fuck you from the writers to HBO, and we are all collateral damage in that beef.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    my question to all the critics is that when jon saves everyone from dany, which since day 1 has been the only logical outcome (at least the part where jon become king), do you already have your "lazy writing" posts written or do you plan on doing that immediately after the show?

Load Metric
    my question to all the critics is that when jon saves everyone from dany, which since day 1 has been the only logical outcome (at least the part where jon become king), do you already have your "lazy writing" posts written or do you plan on doing that immediately after the show?

there are people who simply post negative reviews because they understand that its almost a brand for them and it guarantees them X volume of attention. im sure they have several scenarios mapped out with corresponding hit pieces for each so they can be first to the SEO market.

and there are also people, and i include myself in this pool, who are fairly agnostic about the plot arcs but look back with a sense of longing and loss to when that arc was handled artfully. and if they dont uncork something remarkable in the next 70 minutes, we will have things to say about it as well.

Load Metric

there are people who simply post negative reviews because they understand that its almost a brand for them and it guarantees them X volume of attention.
    Nah, this one is you to a fucking T
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

there are people who simply post negative reviews because they understand that its almost a brand for them and it guarantees them X volume of attention. im sure they have several scenarios mapped out with corresponding hit pieces for each so they can be first to the SEO market.

and there are also people, and i include myself in this pool, who are fairly agnostic about the plot arcs but look back with a sense of longing and loss to when that arc was handled artfully. and if they dont uncork something remarkable in the next 70 minutes, we will have things to say about it as well.
    come on, complaining about varys of all people? the hound-mountain battle was actually the most satisfying thing they could have done to resolve that storyline, but you didn't even like that.

again, i didn't like the way the genocidal danerys heel turn was written. i wish they developed that over the course of another year or two. there's not a great rationale for dany snapping like that when it happened.

but i also don't hate it to the point where i thought the overall episode was bad, and i was fully on the edge of my seat the whole time.

then we have people like vaughn who admitted months ago, that if jon ends up king, he will consider that "too predictable" and a terrible ending. now i'm not comparing you to vaughn, since i don't want to insult you, but there's too many people of this mindset, where they are just incapable of appreciating things.

bottom line is that for as "bad" as this season is, it's light years better than the best season of any other show that ever existed. and you people are losing sight of this.

Load Metric
    and you people are losing sight of this.

once upon a time this show was artfully written.

now its not.

the plot arc's are symptomatic of that. if you enjoy them despite the artless writing, thats great, im happy for you. im enjoying them overall as well, btw. otherwise i wouldnt watch it.

but there was a real artful touch to this show that made me not embarrassed to adore it, its what made it special, and its what made the books special, and its being swept aside so people can wrap a bow on this and move on by all appearances, and its frustrating. obviously we will see where this lands in 6 days and 5.5 hours but its looking grim.

but seriously whether or not vaughn had the courage to declare water is wet in 2016 is not coge.

Gold
    Load Metric

bottom line is that for as "bad" as this season is, it's light years better than the best season of any other show that ever existed. and you people are losing sight of this.
    this has to be a level?

Load Metric
    also gomorrah > got.

like just for starters.

Load Metric
    example of artfulness, the first 3 minutes:

and in the opposite corner, we have dany literally waiting for the bells to ring before ethnically cleansing kings landing.

this is why we cant have nice got things.

Load Metric
    Episode needed more scenes of Arya training.

Gold
    Load Metric
    while i did like being surprised, i admit that the switch from benevolent dany to full-blown hitler seems a little too out of nowhere. not enough to make me dislike the episode or the season, but i get that criticism.

Name:  8d4f0856fafe.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  50.5 KB

Comments

sonatine: fucking incredible.

Load Metric
    to blakes point;

we pretty much fit at least one and probably two books into the last 11 episodes of GoT, and we are squeezing another full fucking book into the last 3 eps.

thats a recipe for disaster and its why it feels like we are seeing a highlight reel of what should have been the last 4 seasons in the last like 3 hours.

without all that nuance and mood and development, nothing really makes sense.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    How bout that Golden Company?
    Lolz..... the most fierce army in this world..... ashes

As episodes 1, 2, and 4 had little action this was my second favourite of the season but there are some big disappointments. The valonqar prophecy was ignored, Cleganebowl was a washout draw and yup, Dany is insane with power after all.

I didn't mind the Varys, Tyrion and Arya arcs but Jamie defeating Euron was pretty ridiculous too. Jamie is nowhere near as good a fighter with his left hand and Euron is a renowned badass. It was also out of character for Grey Worm to attack men who had surrendered. I suppose he was meant to be grief-stricken over Missandei but he's never allowed his feelings to override his military discipline before.

Roll on next week when John (or Arya?) will inevitably kill Dany and assume the Iron Throne. Perhaps Tyrion will think to ask Bran what happened to Tysha.
    Last edited by ShawnFanningsLimpDick; 05-13-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    By a show of hands, how many of you continue to watch only so you can participate in the nit-picking circle jerk that is this thread?
    It's called being pot-committed
    I did the same shit for sons of anarchy and to be fair this corpse
    PFA show was 10x that show at one point

Load Metric
    i think that you colossal book nerds are over-thinking this and i'm also glad that george rr martin will never ever finish them.

Thread Information