Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of My Dogs is Sick

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

One of My Dogs is Sick

As far as I am aware nobody on here is a vet but I know there are plenty of dog owners so wanted to see if anyone has any prior experience with something like this or any general advice. One of my Maltese "Lilly" has been sick. She has had all of her vaccinations and shots etc.... and is up to date on everything in those regards

Timeline

March 20th- Dog drops a deuce and there is a little bit of blood
    March 21st- Dog throws up

At this point I am thinking maybe she got into the bathroom trash which is a place she likes to lurk once in a while and maybe ate some toilet paper which I have caught her doing in the past and I decide to wait one day and see if she clears up

March 22nd Throws up again and drops a deuce with blood so off to the vet I go.

They do all kinds of blood tests and do a giardia test and everything comes back normal. They tell me to bring back a stool sample when I can and I do a day later. That came out fine as well.

At this point the dog has returned to normal. She is eating fine and her shit looks normal with zero vomiting. She got some table scraps once in a while and the vet suggested that could have played a role in this so we stop feeding both dogs small table scraps.

Fast Forward to this Monday

April 13th - She is lating on the spare bed resting catching a nice spring breeze and she vomits.
    April 14th - Bloody loose stool

I call vet and she tells me they have run all tests and has one more suggestion before we go further. About 2-3 weeks before my dog got sick the 1st time I switched food brands and she said maybe it is causing her stomach to turn or a possible allergy

So I go to the vet and they give me a 6 lb bag of this to sample and see if it helps. Also gave me some wet food to mix with it along with some powdered med that will make her stool harder

https://www.purinaveterinarydiets.co...gastroenteric/

April 14th evening First night I mixed the stuff and the dog rifles through her bowl and must have been so hungry she bullied my other dog out of the way and ate his too. 3 hours later she hurls. I'm thinking possibly she overate or bad reaction to the meds (she is only 8.5 lbs) and willing to give it one more day

April 15th she eats 2 small meals and is fine. Stool is solid again and I am hoping things are good and she does not throw up

April 16th eats meal in morning and is fine. Everything else she does and has been doing for the past 2 months is normal. She gets plenty of exercise and shows no signs of anything wrong with her. She plays etc and has energy accept after she vomits.

So I head out for a bit and come home and I am giving them a small second meal and when the dog sees the food she gets from her bed and wanders into the other room and drops her entire 1st meal on the floor.

Call vet and they are saying X-rays tomorrow and want me to bring a stool sample and possibly a colonoscopy at some point which is going to run anywhere from 1k-2k from what I have read.

Anyone ever have a pattern like this happen with their dog or any advice?

Comments

SrslySirius: breaking my heart with the pic man

WillieMcFML: godspeed little guy

herbertstemple: Hoping for the best for Lilly.

Banned
    Load Metric
    That's sad, I hope it's not too serious.

This happened to one of my dogs about 2 months ago. He had blood in his stool, no appetite, and was very lethargic. I took him to the vet the next day and he was diagnosed with a form of Pancreatitis. He wasn't able to hold down food so he was put on an IV. The cost was around 1500 but he was better within a couple days.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post
    This happened to one of my dogs about 2 months ago. He had blood in his stool, no appetite, and was very lethargic. I took him to the vet the next day and he was diagnosed with a form of Pancreatitis. He wasn't able to hold down food so he was put on an IV. The cost was around 1500 but he was better within a couple days.
    A lot of my google searches on symptoms I have come to Pancreitis but if she had that how does she just get better for a month and then get sick again? Like even with your dog wouldn't it come back again at some point?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also how did they come up with Pancreitis? What determined this?

Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Also how did they come up with Pancreitis? What determined this?
    On my receipt they list the test they performed. I forget the names of them but I can find the receipt and tell you tomorrow. If the stool has a mucus look its most likely Pancreitis.

Comments

BCR: Probably amylase of lipase serum test. That's what is elevated in humans.

Load Metric
    This was on WBZ evening news today, China. Caught my attention. You never here stuff like this on news.

Mass. Officials Report Cluster Of Dog Flu Cases In Essex County

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/1...-essex-county/

Hope things get sorted out quick.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    This was on WBZ evening news today, China. Caught my attention. You never here stuff like this on news.

Mass. Officials Report Cluster Of Dog Flu Cases In Essex County

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/1...-essex-county/

Hope things get sorted out quick.
    someone told me about this earlier, thanks for the link

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Although I do not think it is dog flu which she is experiencing.

Banned
    Load Metric
    My 2 cents: Mexican rat poison, an open sewer, and an abusive owner aren't the way to go here. Just saying, steer clear of that recipe.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    China, please post everything your dog has eaten over the last month. Every treat, every bit of dry and soft food, the lot.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    How old is the dog?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    How old is the dog?
    Should have mentioned that. She is 4

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    China, please post everything your dog has eaten over the last month. Every treat, every bit of dry and soft food, the lot.
    Biljac chicken dry food which i put them on 3 weeks or so before episode 1. Now we switched to the gastro food i posted above. Maybe 1 small dingo bone but could be zero. I threw away all the treats to eliminate those as a possibility but she prob had 1 or 2 of these little crunchy treats but i dont have the name.

Load Metric
    I haven't looked yet but I thought I saw a mention of a dog food recall recently? Like last week some time. Could be something, maybe not?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hang in there China, I hope for a recovery!

Load Metric
    Are you feeding your dog table scraps or share your meals with him? This is a definite no no if you are. It may be his dog food. Maybe switch dog food brands.

Load Metric
    Is.there some kind of polish stew you.can use the dog for before it completely turns

Comments

BetCheckBet: offensive jokes are fine but they need to be funny

Muck Ficon: Shut it down faggot

Daredevil: unfunny as usual

gauchojake: reduce/reuse/recycle

MumblesBadly: It's Korean stew!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Are you feeding your dog table scraps or share your meals with him? This is a definite no no if you are. It may be his dog food. Maybe switch dog food brands.
    Not anymore. We were off and on before the first episode but stopped in case this was the cause. But we were just giving them tiny tiny pieces of things and I know this can be very bad. Like if I was eating a piece of chicken I was giving them like like a piece the size of a thumbnail

Load Metric
    You better eat that fucking dog grggzzzlik

Thread Information