Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 2015 MLB Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    fun with random baseball stats:

Kershaw has a 2.29 ERA and a 0.92 WHIP in 25 starts, the Dodgers are 13-12 in those games

Nate Eovaldi has a 4.00 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP in 25 starts, the Yankees are 17-8 in those games.
    Nate Eovaldi was once on the Dodgers. He sucked, and I'm glad they're rid of him.

He had one decent season in 2013 (still went 4-6 in 18 starts, though), but he's never had a season with a WHIP under 1.317, and his lifetime WHIP is 1.389. The fact that he's 13-2 this year is nothing short of amazing, given his pitching numbers. He's putting Andy Pettitte to shame with luck regarding run support.

Dodgers bullpen has blown several games for Kershaw.

Load Metric
    More fun with baseball stats.

The Mets are 23-34 (.404) against teams .500 or greater.
    The Dodgers are 18-31 (.367) against teams .500 or greater.

The Mets are 23-34 (.404) against teams .500 or greater.
    The Mets are 47-22 (.681) against teams under .500.
    Of the Mets remaining 36 games:
    • Six are against the Nationals
    • Three are against the Yankees
    • The other 27 are against teams under .500

The Nationals are 11-13 against the Reds, Rockies, and Phillies - The Mets are 22-1 against those same teams.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    The Dodgers are 1 in OBP and 2 in slugging but 8 in runs scored. Their biggest problem on offense seems to be they are unlikely.
    You wrote "unlikely" but I think you mean "unlucky".

I've been watching this team all season, and they just don't translate runners on base into runs.

They hit a lot of home runs, and they get a lot of men on base, but they leave a ton of men in scoring position.

Much of this has to do with a complete lack of running game, and poor situational hitting.

Joc Pederson unfortunately is the embodiment of exactly this. He stole a lot of bases in the minors, but doesn't try on the Dodgers, for whatever reason. I think he was discouraged by being caught a few times at the beginning of the season. Anyway, Joc walks a ton, but hits for a very poor average. He also has 23 HR, though most of those were in the first half. So if you want a guy to simply walk himself on base, and sometimes jack a HR out of the park, Joc is your man. But he's a disaster when there's runners on first and third, and one out. Here you want a base hit or sac fly, and he's not that likely to deliver either one.

Perhaps they have been unlucky, too. Maybe some of those fly outs and line-outs in critical spots would have been base hits if just a few feet to the left or right, but I've been watching this happen for 120+ games, and it seems like a lot more than running bad.

You don't apply the same rules of variance that you do to poker?

I think the bigger problem than lack of steals is having Rollins and now Utley at the top of the line up. Neither player has an OBP over .300. How can Gonzalez, Ethier, Turner, Grandal drive in runners that don't exist? The highest OBP player (Grandal) is hitting 7th? Donny Baseball intends for the pitcher to drive him in?

And your Pederson gripe would lead one to think he should lead off. His OBP is good even though he strikes out a ton. Mattingly doesn't seem to understand how to construct a line up in the 21st century.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Rollins at leadoff has been a disaster. No question about that.

Pederson at leadoff isn't ideal. He isn't stealing bases, and you are wasting his power putting him in the 1-spot. But yes, his OBP is good (despite his staggeringly bad average as of late), and he's a way better option there than Rollins.

Here is an article about the Dodgers offense which echoes what I've been saying (written after my post, so I didn't copy from it):

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...-errors-082815

The only thing that surprised me is that the Dodgers have hit better than average with runners in scoring position. Doesn't seem that way, but I guess it's true.

But the running game (or lack thereof) is what's really killing them, along with not hitting ground balls (and thereby rarely reaching on error). They've also seemingly suffered a bit of bad luck, as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Vin Scully BACK for his 67th season, at age 88:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-broadcasting/

I doubt any other broadcaster will ever go 67 seasons. That's a record which probably will never be broken, even hundreds of years from now.

Load Metric
    Vin Scully BACK for his 67th season, at age 88:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-broadcasting/

I doubt any other broadcaster will ever go 67 seasons. That's a record which probably will never be broken, even hundreds of years from now.
    Cards played in LA earlier this year. Caught the Dodger broadcasts. Enjoyed listening to Vin Scully a lot.

Scully told how ever time Red Schoendienst would take second base between innings, he would wait till the pitcher was throwing the ball before he put his glove on to distract the hitter. Been a Cardinal fan close to 50 years, never heard that story before.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Posting in a sports thread.

Hockey Guy: So, Muck Ficon is now following herb around to neg rep him offset rep.

ToasterOven: hockey guy is captain save-a-ho

DJ_Chaps: whatever losers

Load Metric

Pederson at leadoff isn't ideal. He isn't stealing bases, and you are wasting his power putting him in the 1-spot. But yes, his OBP is good (despite his staggeringly bad average as of late), and he's a way better option there than Rollins.

Here is an article about the Dodgers offense which echoes what I've been saying (written after my post, so I didn't copy from it):

The only thing that surprised me is that the Dodgers have hit better than average with runners in scoring position. Doesn't seem that way, but I guess it's true.

But the running game (or lack thereof) is what's really killing them, along with not hitting ground balls (and thereby rarely reaching on error). They've also seemingly suffered a bit of bad luck, as well.
    I'm not going to agree with blaming the running game. Toronto has a billion more runs that anyone else and they are middle of the pack at stealing bases. However, they seem to understand that you must put your best hitters at the top of the line up. In the NL, the difference in plate appearances between 1 and 8 in the order is 120 (763 versus 643... numbers from 2009). So the Dodgers are having Rollins hit an extra 120 times for them? That's absolute malpractice. Mattingly is not alone in this, but he might be the worst offender. If they went with Pederson/Grandal against righties at the 1-2 spot, they would score a lot more runs without stealing bases.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post

I'm not going to agree with blaming the running game. Toronto has a billion more runs that anyone else and they are middle of the pack at stealing bases. However, they seem to understand that you must put your best hitters at the top of the line up. In the NL, the difference in plate appearances between 1 and 8 in the order is 120 (763 versus 643... numbers from 2009). So the Dodgers are having Rollins hit an extra 120 times for them? That's absolute malpractice. Mattingly is not alone in this, but he might be the worst offender. If they went with Pederson/Grandal against righties at the 1-2 spot, they would score a lot more runs without stealing bases.
    Running game isn't just stealing bases. It's also about advancing to the extra base via speed and heads-up baserunning.

The Dodgers aren't doing that this year. They're not stealing bases, they're not advancing to third from first on singles, and they're not hitting ground balls and reaching base on errors.

The Rollins thing is indeed a huge mistake, and I think everyone except Mattingly agrees upon that.

Honestly, the Dodgers are just fortunate that they have Kershaw and Greinke going out 40% of the time, and the two have stayed healthy. While the bullpen has screwed up a number of games that should have been wins for those two, it's also huge to have two ace pitchers who can shut down losing streaks. The Dodgers were the last team to lose 4 games in a row this year. They just lost 5 in a row (though have won 4 in a row since), but that hadn't happened since 2013.

I think the presence of Kershaw and Greinke is masking a lot of the team's greater problems. Look at the numbers those two have put up since the beginning of July (and for Greinke, basically all year).

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I have 150/1 Twins world series bet. If they even make playoffs it would be ridiculous.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers have run off 5 in a row now after losing 5 in a row.

Two of those wins were against the Cubs, so they are just 1 behind Chicago in the wildcard, as well. (That's important in case SF surges ahead of the Dodgers.)

Yesterday they kind of got a gift, though, as Lester was melting down in the 7th, and the Cubs left him in too long.

Load Metric
    Even the slowpoke Dodgers were able to get 3 steals off Lester lol. It's gotta be only a matter of time before he completely flames out as a pitcher. These stories of players developing the yips in one facet of their game don't tend to end well. He's gonna forget how to throw strikes soon enough.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric

Comments

herbertstemple: +1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

So so so much fail in such a short post.

No shit Cueto is a 3-month rental. Unlike your GM and team we dont spend ridiculous amounts of money on free agent players, only to not really accomplish anything. Did you think you made a sick burn by telling me he is a rental player like I didnt know that already? And he is not the best pitcher available by trade, that would be Cole Hamels. Im sure if LA gets him later this week you will all of a sudden have an epiphany and realize that.

Our rotation sucks and you have two of the best pitchers in baseball. Wanna guess who's team has allowed less runs? How has that dominant regular season pitching done for you in the post season? Oh yeah, Kershaw chokes I forgot. And since you have such a great team, wanna compare records? I didnt think so. Poor man's Dodgers my ass. The Royals are head and shoulders above the Dodgers (Dan Druff pun and all). The Royals nearly won the Series last year. Maybe if you guys spend another $300-$400 million you can get there. Keep chugging away you little engines, you'll get to the top eventually. And let me tell you the scenery is pretty sweet up here.

Kansas City is just rounding into form and everyone should be worried about them. Cueto added to the staff. Volquez has been every bit as good as Shields last year. Duffy has been amazing since coming off the DL, throwing all quality starts. Ventura just went out yesterday and threw 7 innings of 1 run ball. So look up all the stats you want about our starters ERA, but guess what in the playoffs we aint starting Guthrie or Vargas or Chris Young. Thats where the bloated starter stats come from.
    Edinson Volquez?

Hilarious that you think he's replacing Shields.

Bottom line is that your team won fewer than 89 games, and ALMOST won the World Series thanks to an improbable late season hot streak. Too bad ALMOST doesn't count.

Good luck riding Edinson Volquez to erase the ALMOST this year.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  117.6 KB

Comments

WillieMcFML: got heem
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Duff Dodgers are on the verge of being no hit by Arrieta of the Cubs. Nobody has come close to a hit from what I remember.

Load Metric
    Dodgers no hit again. 9 days later

Sfo

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Duff give me 3-1 the Dodgers miss the playoffs for up to 500. Escrow In LA at one of the Giants games.

Load Metric

Honestly, the Dodgers are just fortunate that they have Kershaw and Greinke going out 40% of the time, and the two have stayed healthy. While the bullpen has screwed up a number of games that should have been wins for those two, it's also huge to have two ace pitchers who can shut down losing streaks. The Dodgers were the last team to lose 4 games in a row this year. They just lost 5 in a row (though have won 4 in a row since), but that hadn't happened since 2013.

I think the presence of Kershaw and Greinke is masking a lot of the team's greater problems. Look at the numbers those two have put up since the beginning of July (and for Greinke, basically all year).
    I think you have achieved a clarity regarding the Dodgers that you lacked last year. I can not take full credit. Although I am proud of you. Few fans can seperate hope from reality. Take a bow.

One small suggestion to help keep your mind right. Please refer to your pitching tandem as Greinke & Kershaw. See? Seriously, tell me you are not leading with Greinke in the playoffs?

That the infirm Giants are still this close surprises even me. That folks still seek action on the division title surprises me too. Perhaps you can offer pieces to the WP at a reasonable markup.

Finally, your thoughts regarding Toronto competing 100% for the Championship? Remember the Nationals shutting down Strasburg during their run? My point is that when your players are collectively having peak years that is a rare thing. Saving prospects for tomorrow, saving your ace or similar bullshit during these rare windows of opportunity is always rued for years to come.

You came close. BnP & Lew can provide helpful advice on how to cope. You all can discuss your fantasy bullpens some radio show.

Load Metric
    Cueto who?

Jays not worried about him. At this point I'd love him pitching twice in a series. What's wrong with the guy?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Cueto who?

Jays not worried about him. At this point I'd love him pitching twice in a series. What's wrong with the guy?
    He's trying to become affordable next year?

First time in his career that he lost 4 straight starts. I personally think he's either holding back or he's rattled. Detroit complained about his delivery and he's sucked since. Today there was no hitch, no deception. He looks very pedestrian. It's definitely troubling. The only upside is Ventura has been the best pitcher in baseball since the first of August. It sounds crazy, but Ventura might start game 1
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Cueto who?

He's trying to become affordable next year?

First time in his career that he lost 4 straight starts. I personally think he's either holding back or he's rattled. Detroit complained about his delivery and he's sucked since. Today there was no hitch, no deception. He looks very pedestrian. It's definitely troubling. The only upside is Ventura has been the best pitcher in baseball since the first of August. It sounds crazy, but Ventura might start game 1

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...jo05&t=p&year=

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...yo01&t=p&year=

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...cl01&t=p&year=

Thread Information