Thread: “Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

Load Metric

“Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

On the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's assassination, we went to see the same play that Lincoln was watching when he was shot, Our American Cousin. Like that fateful night, the play ended at the point where Booth caused the commotion. With regard to the play, Slate calls it "The hackneyed play that ended Lincoln's life", but I kinda liked it. I laughed; I cried; it was better than Cats.

And, as always,

Name:  Hey NSA.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  157.2 KB

Load Metric
    samuel a mudd is god

Comments

smithbk: but his name is mudd

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If they abruptly ended the play at the point it did when Lincoln was shot, did they have a fake Booth come into the audience and pretend to shoot someone?

I think that would have been the best way to end to the evening.

Comments

smithbk: like Marshawn says, "Thanks for asking."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    If they abruptly ended the play at the point it did when Lincoln was shot, did they have a fake Booth come into the audience and pretend to shoot someone?

I think that would have been the best way to end to the evening.
    LOL, pretty much the opposite! There was the gunshot during the biggest laugh line, an additional line by the star ("What do you mean by doing all these dreadful things?"), and then a Q & A with a panel of experts. Two out of three aint bad.

PS. the setting was not suitable for a faithful recreation of the assassination.

Load Metric

Comments

Dan Druff: I wonder if Mr. Seymour is still alive
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Believe it or not, one of my great grandmothers was alive when Lincoln was shot. She didn't live in the US, but she was alive in 1865 when it happened.

Comments

herbertstemple: LOL. Mr Seymor did a few days later because of injuries due to his fall before the program.

Load Metric
    Believe it or not, one of my great grandmothers was alive when Lincoln was shot. She didn't live in the US, but she was alive in 1865 when it happened.
    my great great grandfather set lincoln's leg

/thread

Load Metric
    Whats even remotely unbelievable about that? Your great grandmother was born in 1864. At the age of 34 she has your grandmother, in 1898. At the age of 37, in 1935 your grandmother has your mother. At the age of 30, in 1965 your mother has you. You are 50. And those numbers arent audacious in the slightest. Its not unheard of for people to have children in their mid 40's. Tack 7-10 years on each of my estimates and your great-grandmother could have been a grown ass woman and helped the cover up in 1865!
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbk View Post
    it was better than Cats.
    Was Cats any good?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbk View Post
    it was better than Cats.
    Was Cats any good?
    No! I hated it. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but it was VERY popular. I thought being based on T. S. Eliot poems might sway me. But "Ack!" "Thbbft!"

But that's beside the point. I say "I laughed; I cried; it was better than Cats." all the time. Maybe nobody remembers this (eg. I'm old.) Here's the reference. (Could not find the original, but this sums it up.)

http://milowent.blogspot.com/2010/11...tter-than.html

In the 1980s, it was common for Broadway TV advertisements to include short testimonials from audience members who were uniformly WOWED by the show. These man-on-the-street reports slyly convinced the unwashed masses that we must immediately rush out to see the same play.

This advertising gimmick reached the height of absurdity around 1985-86 when a woman exiting some forgotten show made reference to the current Broadway blockbuster, "Cats". The woman exclaimed: "I Laughed, I Cried! It Was Better than Cats! I'm going to see it again and again!"
    Last edited by smithbk; 04-15-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: I'm old

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Whats even remotely unbelievable about that? Your great grandmother was born in 1864. At the age of 34 she has your grandmother, in 1898. At the age of 37, in 1935 your grandmother has your mother. At the age of 30, in 1965 your mother has you. You are 50. And those numbers arent audacious in the slightest. Its not unheard of for people to have children in their mid 40's. Tack 7-10 years on each of my estimates and your great-grandmother could have been a grown ass woman and helped the cover up in 1865!
    My grandfather was born Dec 1, 1876. His oldest brother was born in March of 1876. The next child was born 15 years later. Expect great grand ma and great grand dad didn't have the happiest relationship.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Thread Information