Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: i feel like i should get a drone

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    Check out Vegas drone chasing a commercial jet. Yikes. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-vegas-airport

throw away the fucking key, you gotta be kidding.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Check out Vegas drone chasing a commercial jet. Yikes. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-vegas-airport
    Prick should be in prison.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    ONLY $1300? It's a fucking glamorized R/C toy. What a fucking waste of money. I have to give it to that DJI company's marketing department though, since they have seemingly created a craze over the most mundane of products. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about federal regulations because this is a temporary fad that will fade as fast as it arrived
    This post was made over three years ago

Load Metric
    Welp, the party is ending soon.

There have been an absolute plague of near misses around the world recently. Someone came within 15' of a landing jet in New Zealand last week.

The call to have all drones registered and tracked is getting international traction. Zero problems with this.

That said I also dont really see how its feasible. Building your own drone seems easy enough, open source software is out there in the wild, and the components arent exactly rare.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    anyone tried the new little dji drone?
    I just ordered one. anyone have any thoughts on it? seems decent price for a starter drone.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    anyone tried the new little dji drone?
    I just ordered one. anyone have any thoughts on it? seems decent price for a starter drone.
    How did thks work out?

Also, ran across an interesting compilation vid of slick drone footage.

And the guy who shot the footage that was used in that comp vid seems pretty legit as a drone racer.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Name:  49854775_972487766274304_672178930332991488_n.png
Views: 341
Size:  49.9 KB

Comments

Sanlmar: Funniest thing I saw today.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    you want funny?
    this cannot be beat

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Los Angeles has a few nice months regarding landscape scenery, and then it turns brown and ugly.

Some years it's brown the entire time because of lack of rain.

This year we are getting some rain, including 6 inches this week alone.

Should be interesting this year, as it tends to be extra green after fire damage in the fall (provided enough rain comes).

If I'm feeling up to it, I might take the thing down to Agoura to survey fire damage.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    drones for babies

Load Metric
    Underwater drone...

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    My drone is fucked up. It's a Phantom 4.

It gets all confused about its altitude, and can't hover without slowly sinking.

For example, if I fly it to 30 feet and let it hover, it will eventually sink down to like 8 feet, and will still think it's at 30 feet. Then if I attempt to auto-land it, it will get all confused and make kind of a hard landing.

Even worse, it also just kind of drifts to the side, and again, forgets where it is. I've been afraid to fly it away very far because I'm afraid it won't be able to come back properly.

Any idea what's wrong?

Oddly this shit started out of nowhere. I flew it in March in Mammoth to take some mountain scenery, and it worked 100% fine. I flew it like 1.5 miles away with no issue.

Load Metric
    My drone is fucked up. It's a Phantom 4.

It gets all confused about its altitude, and can't hover without slowly sinking.

For example, if I fly it to 30 feet and let it hover, it will eventually sink down to like 8 feet, and will still think it's at 30 feet. Then if I attempt to auto-land it, it will get all confused and make kind of a hard landing.

Even worse, it also just kind of drifts to the side, and again, forgets where it is. I've been afraid to fly it away very far because I'm afraid it won't be able to come back properly.

Any idea what's wrong?

Oddly this shit started out of nowhere. I flew it in March in Mammoth to take some mountain scenery, and it worked 100% fine. I flew it like 1.5 miles away with no issue.
    Time to upgrade from that ancient technology.

Name:  14715FB1-F7EE-41B6-BACE-98F226EC7022.png
Views: 341
Size:  171.2 KB

Load Metric
    Be careful where you fly a drone.

Load Metric
    ONLY $1300? It's a fucking glamorized R/C toy. What a fucking waste of money. I have to give it to that DJI company's marketing department though, since they have seemingly created a craze over the most mundane of products. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about federal regulations because this is a temporary fad that will fade as fast as it arrived
    I like to revisit this from time to time; pretty sure I nailed this call, but could also be confirmation bias.

Load Metric

I like to revisit this from time to time; pretty sure I nailed this call, but could also be confirmation bias.
    Well, a huge part of the fade in this fad is that the FAA got all Nazi-ish on personal drone flying, making it a federal offense, literally, to not register your drone before flying it in public. Add in the tightened restrictions on where you can fly, and local authorities getting in on the government “overreach” in the game, and a lot of people were probably highly discouraged by these new regs and restrictions to the point of not wanting to bother. I know that it did for me.

Comments

Krypt:

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Well, a huge part of the fade in this fad is that the FAA got all Nazi-ish on personal drone flying, making it a federal offense, literally, to not register your drone before flying it in public. Add in the tightened restrictions on where you can fly, and local authorities getting in on the government “overreach” in the game, and a lot of people were probably highly discouraged by these new regs and restrictions to the point of not wanting to bother. I know that it did for me.
    I still have mine but it just sits and collects dust.

It is such a pain in the ass to even get it in the air now ( I live within 5 miles of a very small airport). Those airports used to not block the DJI software, it was just the big international airport before... Now every where is a pain to fly it seems.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

I still have mine but it just sits and collects dust.

It is such a pain in the ass to even get it in the air now ( I live within 5 miles of a very small airport). Those airports used to not block the DJI software, it was just the big international airport before... Now every where is a pain to fly it seems.
    I haven't flown mine in awhile but for a different reason. It started having an odd issue where it would lose altitude and not know it, especially when hovering. It would also drift without knowing it. This would be a problem because it wouldn't know exactly how high it was or where exactly it was, which would affect the return to home, as it would come back a little bit away from where it started, and it would also need to "see" the ground so it didn't crash while descending (which fortunately it seems to be able to do correctly).

DJI support is terrible and you get some Chinese guy who doesn't speak English. You can barely get a conversation through. Basically I was told I need to send them $60 and the drone and they'll diagnose then go from there. I was actually going to do this, then coronavirus shut everything down, so here we are.

Kinda blows because I do like taking it out in southern CA in March and April because that's when it's pretty here. After that everything turns brown.

I do still occasionally use it to examine the health of my trees and any issues on the roof, but still, I'm nervous because it can't hold in place well.

Load Metric
    So are you gonna let a giant nosed Iranian teenager named krypt shit talk u like this todgepoker.
    Biz

Load Metric
    does anyone know if the new dji drone has autoflight plotting?

eg where you map out a flight path / camera and then send it happily on its way?

up until now one had to buy a fairly pricey third party app for it and im not about that fuckin life.

Thread Information