Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: i feel like i should get a drone

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Ordered a Mavic Pro last week and sent it right back, box unopened, upon discovering how much red tape and regulation there is in Las Vegas.
    Yeah I lucked out I guess; I'm in a 'caution area' not a 'no fly area'. But I'm amazed that when you plot points in the app, they get sent to DJI, which is outrageous, and I've heard said that if the app cant connect to DJI you are basically grounded, which I reallllly dont want to believe.

There is a pay app that runs about $23 that looks like it's well worth the money and might more or less cut the cord with DJI.

Also somehow surprised that there is no open-firmware movement for the Mavic Pro yet.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Silver
    Load Metric
    Man, from the time I bought my drone 2 years ago until current, things have changed so much worse for the consumer.

I can't even get within 5 miles of any bumfuck small airport in my metro area.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    But I'm amazed that when you plot points in the app, they get sent to DJI, which is outrageous, and I've heard said that if the app cant connect to DJI you are basically grounded, which I reallllly dont want to believe.
    I've heard they'll actually brick your drone if you don't eventually register it with the FAA.

EDIT: apparently this was recently overturned http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/19/tech...faa/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    This is one of the big ones that made it unfesasible for me. The entire strip is within 5 miles of McCarran.
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 06-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Load Metric
    I've heard they'll actually brick your drone if you don't eventually register it with the FAA.

EDIT: apparently this was recently overturned http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/19/tech...faa/index.html

This is one of the big ones that made it unfesasible for me. The entire strip is within 5 miles of McCarran.
    With this development, I'm wondering when the NRA is going to start promoting these for "increasing personal safety".

Comments

The_Lurker: you do understand this is fake?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Fortunately I'm in an area which isn't within 5 miles of an airport, so I have a decent sized area I can fly it, with some interesting hill/mountain scenery.

I am afraid to update the DJI app, because I'm afraid of overly controlling shit like I mentioned above. But then I'm afraid NOT to update it, because it has bugs/crashes, and that could turn out pretty badly. So I updated once, after the drone crash (in order to utilize the features to help find it), but I don't want to do it again.

The most annoying thing is the ban of drones in National Parks and National Recreation Areas. This makes sense in certain tourist-heavy places like Yellowstone, but it doesn't make sense in a huge, lightly-visited park/rec-area where it would make most sense to fly a drone. After all, drones are supposed to fly over landscapes and away from cars/people/roads, so wouldn't this be the perfect area to fly them?

The ban isn't even permanent or well thought-out. They just made a blanket ban in 2015 while they decide what to do, and haven't updated it since.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

With this development, I'm wondering when the NRA is going to start promoting these for "increasing personal safety".

FFS, Lurkstain! That's not the point! It's inclusion in the post is merely a presentation device to make a point about the absudity of the NRA's public posturing about gun rights and safety. Do I have to explain *everything* to you?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

no ones said outright that this is related but id never suggest its not;

the army has banned DJI drones because they are legit concerned china backdoored them.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric

FFS, Lurkstain! That's not the point! It's inclusion in the post is merely a presentation device to make a point about the absudity of the NRA's public posturing about gun rights and safety. Do I have to explain *everything* to you?

I understand perfectly. You are willing to post fake news to bolster your argument. That makes you part of the problem, not part of the solution.
    Last edited by The_Lurker; 08-08-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

I understand perfectly. You are willing to post fake news to bolster your argument. That make you part of the problem, not part of the solution.
    How is this "fake news"? This guy's channel is not news. It's fucking entertainment. Anyone with half a brain can see that the supposed video feed from the quadcopter is fake.

And I posted it to this forum, where the readers are hopefully more discerning than the general public. I didn't post it to Facebok with an accompanying fearful screed because I know too many people might think it's a legit device. DRK Star and 4Dragons might get hard-ons watching it as they wonder where they can buy it, but give it a fucking rest! You're just reaching for a reason to justify dinging me.

P.S. Did you see at the end of the video where the host mentioned having to wait 15 years to buy one? Kinda another giveaway.

P.S. Pretty easy to hang out with someone smarter than you, Lurknuts.

Comments

The_Lurker: you are a moron, and you need to start hanging out with smarter people
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-08-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Load Metric
    Reviewing tips videos on drones and saw this. Good warning to avoid bricking your batteries. Did this with a phone not too long ago.

Load Metric
    So yeah, the UN wants an international drone database.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/08/...obal-database/

If I can take off my tinfoil hat for just a moment, this honestly isnt such a bad idea. We have not yet scratched the surface of the top of the pyramid of how much death and destruction these things can reap.

Toss in AI and watch the fuck out.

Comments

Tellafriend: Coge as you say

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As a kid I used to have dreams about flying over this canyon.

I finally got to do it in reality.

For best results, watch at 1440p resolution and go full screen.

Comments

snowtracks: Awsome

adamantium: I NEED A DRONE

Load Metric
    someone flying their drone around an airport in quebec just hit a plane.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/16/...ane-in-Canada/

Load Metric
    Name:  22730398_10159463836345721_7616570956474008175_n.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  91.8 KB

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    anyone tried the new little dji drone?
    Slava Ukraini!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is going to sound weird, but I have been traumatized by that crash and have barely flown the drone since, even though I recovered the drone, it wasn't really damaged, and I didn't damage anything on the ground.

I keep feeling like it's going to crash again and really cause some damage.

Part of the reason I haven't flown is also due to the fact that LA gets very ugly in the summer and early fall, so there's more motivation to fly in the winter/spring.

But the winter/spring also brings a lot more rain and wind, so it's also tougher to find approproate days to fly it.

Load Metric

fucking dope.

Load Metric
    Was it CMoney who was saying to short GoPro? I cant remember.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...d-layoffs-exit

GoPro quits the drone business

The company is laying off hundreds of jobs and said its Karma drone will be the last it makes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Load Metric
    soooooooo this happened:

http://www.sciencealert.com/swarm-ho...nd-russia-uavs

a literal swarm of commercial drones attacked a russian military base in syria.

realest possible talk.

'While photographs of the improvised UAVs used in the assault make the drones look clunky and strung together, the Russians' analysis reveals they were armed with explosives and launched from a site more than 50 kilometres (31 miles) distant from their targets, navigating the trek via GPS and altitude-control sensors.'

Oh and the Russians are blaming Trump for the attack, btw. Ponder that.

Load Metric
    Check out Vegas drone chasing a commercial jet. Yikes. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-vegas-airport

Thread Information