Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: i feel like i should get a drone

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I got into drones hobby a while back, before all these restrictions. FPV + small 250 build = fun.

But I live in NYC now and we can't fly basically ANYWHERE in the city. We have the strictest rules in the country. I'm cleaning out my closets and will probably ebay everything, except for my indoor FPV "woop" setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I haven't flown mine in awhile but for a different reason. It started having an odd issue where it would lose altitude and not know it, especially when hovering. It would also drift without knowing it.
    Update App. Update firmware. Do standard calibration (where you have to turn the drone in specific ways.) If it still doesn't hold position, redo calibration again, as it is easy to mess up. Chances are decent that this will solve your problem.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    does anyone know if the new dji drone has autoflight plotting?

eg where you map out a flight path / camera and then send it happily on its way?

up until now one had to buy a fairly pricey third party app for it and im not about that fuckin life.
    I think so. I don't know shit about drones but the article seems to indicate that you can plot out a flight path.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/dji-mav...&cid=644136283

Comments

sonatine: literally huge if true

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I initially thought that could be done with earlier drones, but then I learned that wasn't part of it.

Still waiting to get mine fixed, which may or may not be worth doing. Don't even know what the problem is, just that it can't hover properly and gets confused about its position and altitude, which is a disaster if you're flying and want to return home, so I can't fly it away too far.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    does anyone know if the new dji drone has autoflight plotting?

eg where you map out a flight path / camera and then send it happily on its way?

up until now one had to buy a fairly pricey third party app for it and im not about that fuckin life.
    I think so. I don't know shit about drones but the article seems to indicate that you can plot out a flight path.

they just totally put some fools out of business and im here for it.

also that price tag is literally half of what i was expecting.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

they just totally put some fools out of business and im here for it.

also that price tag is literally half of what i was expecting.
    Yeah I have not been into the drone thingy but that seemed like a price point that would get me to buy. I live too close to an airport I think to make it a regular hobby but for a couple times a year to bring on vacation might be worth it.

Load Metric
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ng-down-drone/

id definitely be 'felony charges' pissed if someone shot down my drone.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Seems relevant to what I just did: Bought a DJI Mavic Mini on Amazon.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Yeah I initially thought that could be done with earlier drones, but then I learned that wasn't part of it.

Still waiting to get mine fixed, which may or may not be worth doing. Don't even know what the problem is, just that it can't hover properly and gets confused about its position and altitude, which is a disaster if you're flying and want to return home, so I can't fly it away too far.

My 1st drone after 100 plus hours of flight time I crashed. $800 Parrot Anafi - sent for 2 week repair.

Opening up my new drone today the Mavic 2 Pro Anybody buy insurance for their drone?

Comments

IamGreek: Boy toy rep

MumblesBadly: Me thinks IamGreek doesn’t quite get what “boy toy” means. But, OK!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtracks View Post

My 1st drone after 100 plus hours of flight time I crashed. $800 Parrot Anafi - sent for 2 week repair.

Opening up my new drone today the Mavic 2 Pro Anybody buy insurance for their drone?
    Dude! Forget that drone, and get a jet suit.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Seems relevant to what I just did: Bought a DJI Mavic Mini on Amazon.

Got the Mavic Mini and have had it out a few times. Love it for the price. AND not needing a Part 107 license to fly it. Still working on editing some footage to post, but in the short time that I’ve had it, I can already see that I will wanting to get into FPV drone flying versus spending money on a bigger conventional drone.

Anyone else here doing FPV flying?

Load Metric
    Wondering if these drones are for sale to the general public. You know, for taking out wasps nests in trees and stuff.

Load Metric
    The FAA is going ballistic against a YouTuber drone who specialize in live-streaming his drone content.

Load Metric
    leaked photos of DJI's racing drone:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/2/2...-ositalv-combo

Load Metric
    commerce dept just blacklisted DJI over ccp shenans.

Load Metric
    Trump puts DJI out of business.

Ban will continue once Trump starts his second term on January 20th 2021 even though Trump lost the election.

US government adds DJI to Commerce blacklist over ties to Chinese government

American companies will be forbidden from exporting technology to the drone maker

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/18/...action-blocked

A surveillance device used by the Chinese government to spy on Americans

Load Metric
    I feel like I need a defense drone manufacturer Sonatine. Crammed full of AI. Gimme one or two.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I feel like I need a defense drone manufacturer Sonatine. Crammed full of AI. Gimme one or two.

this topic interested in me a few months ago. cursory internet searches led me to Raytheon as the leader in this. I still think subs will do well with refitting and all, hence General Dynamics.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

this topic interested in me a few months ago. cursory internet searches led me to Raytheon as the leader in this. I still think subs will do well with refitting and all, hence General Dynamics.
    I want more military industrial exposure. I haven’t done anything since Palantir at the start of Ukraine. I bought PLTR for the defense and luckboxed the AI.

Palantir being flashed on the scoreboard during the Army Navy game was my personal “I’m a smart guy” moment.

I already have the big ones. Raytheon f’d me with the recalls. But I’m generally optimistic about the future of conflict going forward.

Mil Spec AI has got to be a thing but I need a starting point. Sonatine will surprise me.

Also are we diamondhands the short squeeze on these crypto mining stocks?

Comments

Tellafriend: But I’m generally optimistic about the future of conflict going forward.

Load Metric
    the thing about AI/ML is that its so democratized that palantir doesnt necessarily have any actual edge beyond its rolodex.

when you consider that anyone with a credit card can deploy A100's to train with, things boil down to 'well whose got the deepest talent roster' and so far ive not seen anything out of the palantir offerings indicating they are in the top 1000 on that list.

Thread Information