Thread: Grateful Dead stuff (for any fans)

Load Metric

Grateful Dead stuff (for any fans)

Im still recovering from 5 days/7 shows, so no epic trip report at the moment, but for anyone who is interested, here is the set break music that Neal Casal composed for the band, along with pdf files of the programs that they gave out.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1dp20fj29...IXH5sWZja?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ky2sl0jy...7FK0HbQXa?dl=0

cool story bra

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Solid but I have to say I am less than impressed on the stuff that has popped up on youtube etc... Quality is garbage everywhere

Load Metric
    I had back left Friday, Floor by the sbd sat, and United Club level Sun. Sound was phenominal no matter where I was.

As far as their performance, It wasnt perfect, but there were some pretty spectacular moments. Trey definitely helped. He stood out for sure.

They have only practiced together for a month, so things arent going to be flawless. The entire scene was a free-for-all though, as police were only busting people selling bootleg shirts. Nitrous tanks were everywhere.

And apologies to SK, but we actually had tickets to go see New Riders of the Purple Sage on Sunday, but my legs were wiped out and we were spun and needed to get home. It wasnt easy to get to that venue w/o a car and uber and taxis were ripping people off all night. It seems like when you see a deadhead after a show, you assume they are wasted and cant think for themselves, so charging them $75 for a $15 cab fare seems standard. fuck off. Nitrous balloons going for $20 each. Usually, they are $10, 3 for 20.

Gold
    Load Metric
    The new age nitrous pricing is incredible, the couple shows I went to last year was the same 1 for 10 3 for 20

So much money and people pay it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Drk, how did you get your tickets and how much did you pay?

Load Metric
    Friday, ex GF's ex husband works for the Bears. Got her 2 tix, then he got her a field ticket, so she sold me the two tix in the corner for face. Paid 140

Sat, I went to Will Call, and hovered around and flirted with the woman working the window. Asked her to wave to me the second that any tix got released. After waiting 30 min, 10 tix became available, so I grabbed 2, and sold 1 to a woman behind me in line so she could be assured to get one. She was taking her daughter to her first show. She lost her shit and started hugging me and crying...was super excited. Saw her the next day looking for a ticket and she hugged me again. Paid 100 for floor ticket and ended up by the sbd (great spot for view and sound)

Sun - guy I let crash at my place got 1 extra ticket and told me I could have it for half price (110) if he could stay with me. It was United Club balcony seat with really good food and private entrances.

I got lucky...many people paid 199 plus 20 in fees and had poor seats. the worst seat I had was 140. the best was 100 (makes no sense, but you couldnt sit anywhere for the 100 ticket. Stand entire time).

I know about 50 people that went, so every day, we were all texting each other to look for tix if someone needed them. In 3 days, I only knew of 3 people that didnt get in. The reality on Fri and Sat was that you could get a ticket from will call for 100 RIGHT as the show started, because they were trying to pack the shit out of the place (they set an all time attendance record on 7/5 with over 71K people). On Fri and Sat, at the south gate, they claimed the scanners were broken at times, and just let people in for free around show time. Fuck it...get them in and let them buy 10.50 miller lites and 6.50 water.

If you made an effort, you could have gotten in somehow. I wasnt worried. People were also showing the previous days ticket at the gate, saying OOPS, I brought the wrong ticket, then tucking a $50 bill under the ticket. Some black kid getting paid $10/hr will certainly let you in for 50 bucks. He doesnt care.

Comments

chinamaniac: hof

Load Metric
    Drop any acid? Any other drugs?

Load Metric
    I dont do drugs, sir. That would be illegal
    Last edited by DRK Star; 07-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Load Metric
    anything you wanted was available pretty easily.

cops were looking to shut down any copy write infringers (tshirts)

You could have dressed up like one of those cigarette girls from the 1920's this weekend and just sold shit right out in the open. There was actually an email going around withing the chicago police email system explaining to them what the drugs were that would be out there. The cops were so old that they didnt know the modern slang (shatter, butter, wax)

there were no less than 20 nitrous tanks on Michigan ave after the show. Im also talking broad daylight in front of the Chicago Hilton (I was eating right next to them and have photos). The cops werent going to mess with N2O vendors due to legal bs.

If you got arrested, you were a total moron.

Load Metric
    Good to hear you got to the shows and that the cops were chill. Sounds like a fun time.

Comments

big dick: +1 chicago cops are cool. just don't be an asshole or they will smash your head in

Load Metric
    +1 was referring to you getting to the shows.

Load Metric
    Truly was the best musical weekend of my life.

Saw a great GD cover band from Texas called Forgotten Space on Wed, saw some Supergroup put together for the weekend made up of members of the Neville Bros, Dumpstaphunk, Papa Mali and a few others called Busted on Bourbon Street that kicked some serious funk ass (GD, Neville Bros, Govt Mule and a few other covers).

Got offered access to a 150 person VIP party pre and post show on Saturday, which included members from Furthur, Rat Dog, Dark Star Orchestra and Tea Leaf Green. Open Bar and Open buffett. We probably had 15 drinks alone that day.

I have lots of photos, but it would take like 4 hours to do a trip report.

Thread Information