Thread: Morel hunting

Load Metric

Morel hunting

Im from Missouri and hunting the elusive Morel mushroom is a big fucking deal around here. Last year these little things were going for $40+ per pound. Does anyone else on the forum get in to hunting morels?

Morels grow in a wet moist environment typically in early spring. Because of the heat factor they usually start popping up in the south first and then gradually move north. I heard of a kid on my facebook finding some around my town in NW Missouri just this morning. Its kind of early in the year I think. Usually we are closer to the end of April. Nonetheless, I will be out walking my ass off this weekend hunting

http://morelhunters.com/

Name:  yellow_morels_round_tree.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  1.77 MB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ive never hunted morels before, but I was actually thinking of trying it this year. I like mushrooms and I know they are a very tasty shroom; I didn't previously know much about them but have been seeing alot of articles pop up lately and have been learning about them. One of the articles I was scanning through i think said something about this year is probably going to be the biggest year on record (or something like that). But yeah, I have been hearing alot of stories about people who know what they are doing, making alot of money by selling them

Comments

tyde: nobody will read that you fucking moron

Load Metric
    you should talk to lol wow if you want some well trained and disciplined hogs.

Comments

The_Standard: i see what you did there hoss
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric
    The problem with hunting for any type of shroom is that I personally can't take the chance I might somehow pick and ingest a poisonous shroom and die a slow horrible death. I just can't take the chance there might be a poisonous shroom that looks like a morel.

Load Metric
    I'm going raspberry hunting this weekend.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    You're going fruit hunting as well?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    The problem with hunting for any type of shroom is that I personally can't take the chance I might somehow pick and ingest a poisonous shroom and die a slow horrible death. I just can't take the chance there might be a poisonous shroom that looks like a morel.
    You're over thinking it. I believe if there were a hint of a poisonous shroom that looks like a morel, the word would have been out. This industry is pretty big considering we are talking about a single kind of mushroom. There is one kind of shroom that is called a "false morel", but from what I could tell, that even looks nothing like the true morel. Just takes some homework and common sense IMO

FTR There are many food items out there that humans are taking a chance at (I.E. buying meat, lettuce etc tainted with E Coli).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    You're going fruit hunting as well?
    we get it, you're gay, calm down

It was a great around here last year, found around 40lbs. I hope it's half as good this year

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I see there's no map sightings for NY.. I wonder if theres places to go around the Tri-State area.

Load Metric

When I was a kid we used to hang out in the woods all the time and would find these little black poof balls just under the grounds surface, usually near trees. Wasn't until years later that I found out what they were, or that they had any value. Too bad that area is a parking lot now.

Load Metric
    You ought to be trying to find some morals.

Comments

4Dragons: I avoided this joke but good on ya for going there

herbertstemple: +1 rep for getting it there first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've considered mushroom picking as the prices for some of them do get your attention.Two things; hunting isn't really the best word use although it's widely accepted.And in these parts YOU may become the hunted as cougar and bear are truly on the hunt.It is a beautiful way to spend the day whether you plan on selling or making omelettes but I would want a good size dog and some bear spray with me.

Thread Information